Puppy Biting Issue....

Dinverro

In the last few days, Noelle has developed a rather nasty habit of growling and then biting at the bottom of my and my girlfriends and housemates leg... She usually just pulls at the jeans/trousers rather then skin but she has got me slightly on the leg. It seems she does this when I play with her outside and/or call her whilst outside and also when trying to feed her, where I persist in asking her to sit and wait for her food.... I was wondering if and what others have done for this to nip it in the bud? She is now 10 weeks and has been home for a bit over a week.... Is it for example something we have been doing wrong perhaps of just an over exuberant pup?

Cheers all,

I'm kind of having the same problem with my 8 weeks old boy. But it's not that bad yet. For him, i think, it's like playing with friends. Husky are playing with their mouths often! When he starts doing that, i give him his toys and he stops bitting me.

But i'm all in for new tricks too!!

As a pup, Ryn did the same. I found that a firm voice - "No bite" along with a single-finger tap on the nose, worked the best. Remember to keep the command simple and to use the same command each time you expect the pup to stop. Any time you "miss" an opportunity to correct the  behaviour is a message that it is ok to continue.

I had this issue as well, a friend of mine (who grew up raising pits) told me to bite her ear. It doesn't take much pressure at all(the amount of pressure you would use to slowly take a bit of cake) she squealed and I haven't had a problem since. In fact when ever she is acting up all I have to do is touch my face to her ear and she gets the point

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I had this issue as well, a friend of mine (who grew up raising pits) told me to bite her ear. It doesn't take much pressure at all(the amount of pressure you would use to slowly take a bit of cake) she squealed and I haven't had a problem since. In fact when ever she is acting up all I have to do is touch my face to her ear and she gets the point

In theory fantastic ..... However your showing that kind of dominance from a human. What happens when he gets old and a child gets near to his ear and the dog decides that he's not happy with being bitten by something so small? As I said, theory is great, in practice there are a million other routes that can be taken without resorting to this

Kodiak was a bit like this as a young pup. When it happened, we stopped whatever we were doing, and we turned away from him. If it continued, then he had a time out for 10 seconds.

After a bit, it did stop. We then started doing Positive training plus the NILF method.

Not being feisty, John, but a quick search here for "NILIF", "NILF" (note the second "I" is missing) or "nothing in life is free" will get you more than you want to know - and ore than we want to repeat again :)

In a nut shell, "Nothing in Life is Free!" the dog has to earn everything it gets - down to food and water ... you want you food, if you set quietly, you'll get it - you keep jumping around and you're not;  It's a VERY effective way of getting an animals attention.

Sasha, with whom I've had some possessiveness issues, will tell me her water bowl's empty and then wait for me to fill it - which I do, we're training each other :) ; she also knows when 6:00 PM is within a few minutes, but that's supper time.  A grumble alerts me to check the time and then she gets fed - if she's not under foot begging (which she doesn't anymore).

It's rough on the dog until they get the idea, then it's a lot easier all the way 'round.

I've had mishka for 3 years since a pup, would this method be easily applied if I start now?

An emphatic yes!  Oddly, it's one of the best training tools I know of ... regardless of age.  When you start it, there'll be a bit of confusion as you're changing methods but most get the idea quickly.  Again, the key to any training is consistency and patience. 

Going back to the original message and John's comment, the best way to teach a pup not to "play bite" which is what I picture from your description - using NILIF, YOU are the object that has to be earned.  They bite, you go away ... they have to earn playtime by not biting.  (( Teaching a negative is always more difficult than teaching a positive ... ))

NILIF is a positive training method, in my view, since the dog is rewarded for positive behaviour.  Physical correction is, again in my opinion, the correction of absolute last resort.   Let's say - for simplicity sake, that your boss had the right to "thump" you on the back of the head for every mistake you made ... how long would it take before you were upset?  On the other hand, if you received an "attaboy!" for the things that went right wouldn't you make more of an effort to make sure they went right ... we're talking about the same reward response working on a dog as you would see in a human from my foolish example.

I'm going to go another way on this....does your pup have plenty of things to chew on? Around that age they start teething, it may not be the biting to be mean...it may be "oh this feels good on my gums". Just a thought. I know right now my pups teeth are coming in and she is tearing up a blanket, she will just grab a corner of it and chew and chew.

Nikki, that too is a possibility ... and in Hannibal's case quite a probability.  We seem to have three <??> people with similar problems in the discussion my responses have been varied depending on who I'm replying to.

Dinverro, whose thread has been soundly hijacked by the topic doesn't mention an age. Hopefully he's gotten enough feedback in general to help him.

Hannibal mentions the age and has gotten some specific responses to suit his situation.

John's questions I've addressed - to a degree - while sending him off to look at NILIF.

Is a thread hijacked when the topic of the thread is being maintained even when the OP seems to have disappeared - I hope we've been able to answer his questions.