Sick With Worry :(

^Aurora^

Sorry for the long post...

I had to take miss Aurora to the vets last night.

She was fine in herself but when I gave her, her dinner she threw it straight back up. She's a nightmare for trying to eat things she shouldn't so I panicked and took her straight to the vets.

They xrayed her and you could see quite a large blockage in her stomach which included something metallic.

They advised the only option was to operate on her :'( the op was done at 9pm last night and they rang at midnight to say it was done and she was sat up.

What they found was gravel and chicken wire!!! Until this point I hadn't clicked but earlier yesterday I'd seen the coop pen door open and had gone and shut it. I had no idea the little monster had been in there :( the vets have said she's been really lucky as it was very sharp but hadn't punctured anything she was just very sore.

Thankfully I think we got her in before any more damage was done however I feel awful.

I think I'm driving them nuts ringing every hour or so to check on her! Apparently she was trying to escape the kennel earlier so she is obviously up and about now.

She's never really on her own and if she's quiet I always go looking for her but obviously not enough :( feel so guilty that she's had to go through this :( the next 3 days are the main ones we have to watch for any further complications and then it's just healing which apparently at her age is quicker?

We are picking her up late tonight all being well!

Has anyone had any similar experiences or any advise for when I get her home?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no I'm so sorry.  Puppy's eat the craziest things.  Aspen is 17 weeks and she puts everything in her mouth.  I spilled a jar of push pins the other day and rushed to get her in her crate before she managed to put one in her mouth.  I'm sure everything will be fine, you caught it in time.  :)  Hope your pup gets to feeling better soon.  

Oh what an ordeal.  Glad they were able to operate and get her on the road to recovery.

We had to take our dog in at 15 weeks for obstruction surgery too. It was horrifying and scary and I was a complete mess. Good for you for trusting your instincts and getting her in. Looking at my dog now you would never know she'd had surgery. Her tummy hair has grown over her scar and you can't even see it.

Hoping for a speedy recovery. We had to keep ours sedated at home with meds for several days to keep her from zooming around.

As for advice, use the drugs they give you. Don't let her go up and down stairs or jump on furniture. We kept her really sedated for about 4 days, then started weening her off because she was so out of it that she was peeing on herself and pooping in the house.

Also, because she was in pain, she was a bit ornery and extra snappy. Just give her time to heal.

Once she's moving around a bit better, you'll need to come up with ways to tire her out without letting her run or be a puppy. It is hard. We couldn't let her do anything even remotely strenuous (like running or playing with other dogs) until 4 weeks post op. It's a challenge at that age. Get her some chew toys, work on training and mental stimulation. We started with short (5-10 minute walks) a couple times a day to keep her system moving.

They also suggested we give her an antacid and a bland diet for several days. I assume your vet will let you know what they want her to eat, but that's what we were told. They tried to give us some science diet crap, but she wouldn't eat it, so we did chicken and rice instead. 

Thanks Chula, it's really good to hear from someone who's been through it and to know there hasn't been any long term affects :)

Thanks everyone for you supportive messages! I picked her up last night and she's doing well!

Surgery was very straight forward and went well and so far so good with her recovery! Although she's starving so is on the constant look out for things to eat! Thankfully she doesn't seem to be in any pain!

The vets did comment that she may be a bit spoilt as she wouldn't let them leave her at all and they have had to let her follow them around. Lol

image-2.jpg

One thing my vet did tell me is that they rarely do one obstruction surgery on dogs. That those who have the propensity to eat non food items will do it throughout their lives so keep a really watchful eye. Now she is really young so it could have just been a puppy thing, but mine is now coming up on a year and still eats things she shouldn't.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Angela, glad to hear that everything is going "as well as can be expected" < that said with a B), btw >

No sage advice, no "words of wisdom" just wanted to let you know I've been following this and, I guess, like everyone else my prayers have been laid on the altars of the gods for a safe, complete recovery.

<Now excuse me while I really laugh> You gonna let us know how you manage to keep her "contained" as she heals!?!

Keeping Aurora 'contained' is the most difficult thing however so far shes been ok. Shes separated from the others which has helped, shes having alot of crate rest too but i was very pleased that she happily spent most of yesterday laying on the sofa getting lots of fuss with my son while he watched films.

We are heading towards the end of the 3 day high risk period ( as of midnight tonight) so the risks of complication will drop at least. fingers crossed the next two / three weeks follow suit!

thanks again for all the well wishes :)

It is separation anxiety. Shes not like it at home because shes never left for more then half an hour.

The vets said shes been spoilt because i should of taught her to be left but their has never been a need for me to and on the days i am out she has a sitter. I always thought i was doing the right thing there?

It is separation anxiety. Shes not like it at home because shes never left for more then half an hour.

The vets said shes been spoilt because i should of taught her to be left but their has never been a need for me to and on the days i am out she has a sitter. I always thought i was doing the right thing there?

it is a good thing at such a young age shes not left too long on her own , she will need to learn that its ok to be left tho when shes abit older tho just incase u cant get anyone to look after her 

seperation anxiety isnt a good thing n should be trained out of her but shes still young n it will take time,, the vet is wrong in saying its because shes spoilt 

it is a good thing at such a young age shes not left too long on her own , she will need to learn that its ok to be left tho when shes abit older tho just incase u cant get anyone to look after her 

seperation anxiety isnt a good thing n should be trained out of her but shes still young n it will take time,, the vet is wrong in saying its because shes spoilt 

Those were my thoughts. Although I think alot of it was being in a strange place as she will happily be crated when i go out on school runs or overnight with out any problem.