New Member That Needs Suggestions

Alisande

Hi, my husband and I have decided to add to our pack. Currently the pack is a Pomeranian (8 yr old male) and a Doberman ( 3 year old male) . Our 3rd pack was a female Golden Retriever age 14 went over the bridge 6 months ago( very hard on the family). I have experience with Siberians and Malamutes and want this breed to be our next family member.

Both our children recently joined the Air Force and I have a lot of time and love to devote to a new dog and plenty of room. My animals are inside pets NEVER chained. I don't work and my dogs are with me constantly. I have raised many breeds and the Siberian was one of my favorite.

I am having problems finding a good local breeder (NorCal near Sac) I don't need a show quality animal. I just want a healthy dog with a good disposition and blue eyes 😉. Love those eyes. I also want a puppy. Primarily because of the prey drive. I want the puppy to grow up with the Pom and The heartbreak of losing a dog to soon is so hard. I want a friend that will be with us a long time.

I know I could pick up a puppy mill dog tomorrow but that's not what we want. We believe in responsible breeding.

I am more than willing to answer any questions about what we have to offer a new family member.

I hope my plea isn't frowned upon. I've been active on dobermanchat.com and hope I can find the same sound advice that is offered there. Any suggestions are much appreciated! I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

Ali

Hi and welcome to the forum! As per the rules, we are not allowed to post dogs that are for sale....so we wouldn't be able to direct you to any specific breeders. But we can post advice on what to look for in a breeder. Even though you may not need a show quality dog, if you are unable to find other reputable breeders in your area, you may have to go that route and look for a show quality dog. Usually there are waiting lists for their puppies.

Although, have you checked your local SPCA? Sometimes healthy purebred puppies show up every now and then. 

Sorry to hear about your Golden... :(

Hi Lisa, welcome to HO, as has been said you can try spca, what about breed specific rescue centres, I know we have them here in the UK, there must be some there as well. 

Just had a quick look,  

WWW.shrra.com. based in California

WWW.alleysrescuedangels.org. Apple valley California.

WWW.Siberianhuskies.com  national rescue

Don't know if any of them can help but they should be able to point you in the right direction, good luck

Thank you for your suggestions, I will contact the local groups and see if they have anything available. All my past dogs have been rescue but for selfish reasons on my part I wanted a reputable breeder this go around.

My Golden had many health problems due to bad breeding practices. We loved her just the same and twice as hard. I think maybe grieved over her loss a little to much.

If there is a dog out there for me I'm sure we will find each other. Hopefully, I'll be back with an introduction one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Awwww glad you found your baby :). I pick my baby up at the end of the month :) We looked at rescuing (we would have loved to as our Sam was a rescue) but as we have a Cat and a number of small animals we were told that we couldn't. Kodi is 5 today, we had him as a pup because we knew that Sam was dog agressive with adult dogs. He took to Kodi really well and they became inseperable. Kodi has coped well without Sam but I watch him play with other dogs and see that he needs a playmate. We went back to the same breeder. Kodi is fine with the Cat, because we had a cat before we had Kodi so he has grown up with them, they sleep together sometimes :). I hope you will have many years with your new baby and please post lots of pictures :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2