Keep Big D In Your Thoughts

Val (Zebedee)

Diesel is having a few problems. Last night I came home from work and he never moved for 4 hours. I brought his chicken wings to him, he had half a chew and dropped it. I gave them to Myshka and Kaviq and got some kibble mixed with egg. That got met with a sniff and a turn of the head. I also brought his water bowl to him and he drank about an inch of water. Eventually he got up but it was a struggle with his back legs. He went out for a wee and had a touch of the squits. He came back and lay in his spot next to me on the floor. I have moved a rug to the spot to help him grip as we have a wooden floor. This morning, I was going to starve him but he did get up and investigate the other's breakfasts so I gave him a little which he slowly ate then lay down again.

Tonight, after work, he was sat up on the rug when I came in but didn't want to go out. I got him down to the vets where she listened to this, poked that and felt his spine and hips. The upshot from the visit is go back tomorrow for blood tests to check his liver, kidneys, etc as he has also lost 4kg in 3 months. She is not sure if he is starting with arthritis in his hips as he complained when she rotated his back legs or, as this has come on suddenly, he may have slipped getting up and strained or sprained a leg or both back legs. She gave his heart and lungs a clean bill of health and confirmed it's not neurological as when she flipped his paw over, he instantly corrected it . She also gave him a shot of painkiller, when she could get through his neck fur! So, I'm hoping with all my might it is a short term issue and a few days of Metacam and lots more rest, he'll be right as rain as he has been a lot brighter and more mobile since he came home and ate all his tea - his last meal till after tomorrow's vet visit as he has to be starved for his blood tests.

I'll keep you all updated as I know he has one or two fans around here lol xx

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paws crossed for big D...and you have my sympathy if it turns out to be arthritis. The only way you can really confirm what it is, if his blood tests come back normal, is if you have an x-ray done.

Have you noticed any atrophy of one of his leg muscles? Before mine got his x-ray, my vet suspected arthritis as his right back leg muscle was atrophied...we discovered via the x-ray he has arthritis in his right hip. I'm assuming its now progressed to his left hip by now. 

If it does turn out to be arthritis, I have a whole slew of tips that will make life easier for you and big D. I've had a lot of experience with dealing with arthritis - my Suka was diagnosed at only 5 years old (but it's suspected it started to develop when he was 4)

Oh, Val, Zoya and Eisa send Husky Hugs to Big D. Good luck with his tests. Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

well, we've been for his blood tests - I managed to get a urine sample too (which was fun, glad none of the neighbours were out!)

The urine was dip-tested & she found traces of blood & protein, which could indicate a water infection although he hasn't been drinking more than usual - less if I'm honest as he didn't want to get up & walk to his bowl but that is next to him now. She is sending the sample off for further tests (grow it etc) to see what that throws up.

She shaved his front leg for bloods and managed to get a fair bit out until he moved & the vein collapsed. So she shaved leg no 2 but had no joy there either. Apparently, he has very poor veins for a big breed dog. Then she shaved his neck to try & get some there - again, it was too deep to get a vein. She tried leg No 1 again but he wasn't parting with any more blood. So we have to go back tomorrow & try it all over again, but he'll have to be starved tomorrow again.

So he's home, minus 3 squares of fur (matching Myshka who is still regrowing her fur after the op to remove a growth - Kaviq will be feeling left out!) licking his legs like fury and he actually ate 2 chicken wings for tea - which I am ecstatic about!

Now the infuriating bit - I have to make a claim to the insurance as this could be an ongoing issue and if you recall my fiasco with them over Myshka's op, you'll understand why I'm reluctant to contact them!

So we're still none the wiser as to what is actually going on with him until these bloods have been successfully taken & tested & hopefully they will tell us more.

Will be keeping Big D on the Husky Hug List, the Thoughts and Prayers List, and will keep him off the Sh!t List.