Keep Big D In Your Thoughts

Val (Zebedee)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, day 3 at the vets, another day of starving so they could try & take more bloods for testing. They wouldn't let me in the room with the vet & nurse, their rooms are very small for at least 3 people & a Diesel! As the vet took his lead, he wouldn't go with them, I had to make like I was going to walk in the room & encourage him through then drop back & close the door :(  Then all we could hear was mumbled talking for a minute or two before D let out a huge whine :unsure:  but another 2 minutes later, he came trotting out apparently not the worse for wear & the vet covered in Diesel fluff! They did manage to wrestle enough blood out of his narrowed veins this time thankfully, so he is a little pin cushion but the fur will grow back.

Now it's a waiting game. The vet will call us when they have any answers from the tests. He is home with antibiotics, but I will say, when I was preparing their tea, he was up & walked to the kitchen door as usual then stood & ate all the meal which he hasn't done since Tuesday, even though he must be starving with having to fast all day yesterday & today (with only a chicken wing for tea last night, that's all he'd eat) so I'm hoping he's feeling better naturally & the antibiotics are going to boost him further.

Thank you all for the good wishes, rest assured he is having every single one of your hugs that you're sending over :D

Well Diesel has been much more his old self today. Came to the kitchen when I was preparing their meals so his appetite is back, it's just still an ordeal getting up but I have trimed his furry feet to help him and although not as active as before, he will get up more now. I'm just hoping the vet calls on monday with some results so we might know what we're facing.

I'm more of a happy Mummy today :-) - oh, and I got the famous Diesel woowoo today too, not heard that all week either! Whoop!

Nothing like signs of improvement to make one fell better about things. Let's hope Big D continues to be his old self and the tests come back with no major issues.

So glad he's feeling better.

Lets hope the Vets can do something for the hip / getting up problem

Hi I'm new to this community I feel silly but I can't figure out how to post my own original post??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

No problem.

Go to the place where you want the post to be (like in General Health or something), click on 'Start new topic'. It is near the top right corner of the screen. 

Lowjacked by a mini tutorial are we?? :)

Val, I haven't said anything here since i have a hard time figuring out how to respond to someone whose "fur pal" isn't doing well. But am really glad to see that Big D is finally seeming to come around. Hope the vet visits become few and far between and he continues to feel better!

well, the vet called this morning. Her first question - how is Diesel? I said apart from not walking him as I feel he is still too weak, in the house he is back to his "old" self, tapdancing when preparing their meals, getting up on the sofa, getting up from a lying position as well as he did before all this started - her response ...... Really??

She was amazed that D was improving, which rang alarm bells for me. Why should she be amazed? She obviously wasn't expecting that reply from me. So I asked her if she had had any results. She had received news about some blood tests that came back negative, apart from 1 that showed up some liver enzymes but it was inconsistant with the other negative results reported. She would have thought some other results would have come back to indicate thyroid or something, but all was clear. So she was going to order some other tests on the bloods to see what they threw out.

She called a few hours later; the results were all negative. Which I should have been ecstatic at but something was niggling me, then the vet said what I thought - there was still an underlying issue to make him lose 4 kg in a short space of time when we have been battling his weight for 18 months or more.

She wants him in to do an x-ray & ultrasound to check for abnormalities in the stomach, liver, kidneys etc (yes, tumour was mentioned) but she wants to do a full health screen to get to the bottom of it. So he is going in on Thursday 9am. I'm not happy that he is going to be put under anaesthetic while he's not 100% but I have no choice and I hope whatever is revealed has been caught in time.

So, another waiting game till Thursday then take it the next step