Looking For My Husky?

Lesley Wolfe

Hello everyone, well, I have joined you all to hope that you can give some advisc on how to find the Husky for us.

We want to home a husky and have all the time in the world to give to it along with a lovely location for walking and training etc.

We just want to find the one that is meant to be for us and we know they are out there somewhere, we can't take one in until January 

and then we are able to be full on.

We are keen to visit anybody that might live within a reasonable distance to us to just get the feel for the actual animal and chat about them face to face as although we love the beautiful husky, we have only seen them at a distance or read about them in great detail.

We have had dogs before so are not green on owning animals, however we realise the husky needs the extra attention and the excercise which we are very wiilling to give, and therefore our main aim is to find the dog for us.

Any advice is most welcome.

regards

Lesley

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the pack lesley , good luck in finding a new companion for your family , have you had a look at some rescues suchs as siberian husky welfare association (shwa) siberian husky club of great britain (SHCGB) huskies in need , 8 below and S.H.A.R.E just to name a few , read up all you can on here , and feel free to ask ANY questions no matter how silly they may seem and most of all enjoy the forum and when you do get your husky , post LOTS of pics for u :)

Well, thank you everyone for responding and I can see that this forum is going to prove very useful.

Any advice re feeding would be helpful as in what type of food proves to be the best (simply because you all generally already have the experience of feeding the

husky and therefore will have tried everything!).

Thanks in advance.

lol

x :rolleyes:  ;)

I feed my boy Taste of the Wild - its a type of kibble. Not sure if its available in the UK, though. Another great brand is Acana.

Basically, in kibble, you want atleast the first 3 ingredients to be meat (preferably not byproducts), grain-free is nice too as some huskies have problems with grain in their kibble. 

Some people on here feed a raw/barf diet, but I don't have much experience with that. 

We feed raw, we tried a number of different kibbles and none of them agreed with our little guys stomach. 

We tried Eden, Gentle, Markus Muhle Naturenah, vets kitchen. 

I have been recommended either Fish 4 Dogs / Canagan and fishmongers it can be trial and error with food 

Thank you again everybody

The last request for today, we are happy to drive out, but would love to visit anyone with huskies, or can you tell me the location of the Husky adoption people so that we can perhaps go to them to view?

Thanking you all again, and again and again.

xx.

Hi and welcome.

Most husky rescues use foster homes so you would need to connect the rescue and they will arrange for you to meet the husky your interested in and do a homecheck etc xx

Welcome aboard!

We are now approaching the start of our third year of 'Husky ownership' and it has been a very enjoyable relationship, (apart from a couple of little 'mishaps' during the first few weeks)!

Take a quick look at my earlier posting 'Luna 18 months on' in this forum several weeks ago just to give you an idea of what experinces we 'shared' with our Husky, (I suspect no two adoptions are ever the same)!

Glad to see that you are considering the rehoming of a Husky, (all of our dogs were from various rescue centres), and, (as previous members have already stated), most rehoming centres are very responsible as they will initially 'vet' you, your home, (and your family), and you will then be invited to spend some time with your prospective Husky - at the rescue centre before you commit!

Hiya Lesley, welcome to Husky Owners

Oh I wish more prospective owners would do what you're doing - come on to the forum & read, ingest & absorb information - then ask more questions :lol:  It is great that you are looking to rehome a husky, I know the rescues are all full to overflowing with these beauties. It's a shame you are so far away from the North West; we seem to be extremely lucky with the number of members up here and any one of us would welcome you with open arms to come walk with our dogs & get a feel for their individual characters & personalities.

I have 1 "bought" Husky and 2 rescue Huskies, and we foster them also as they don't do well in kennels so you will tend to find them in foster homes, but any fosterer will be happy to meet you with the dog should you find one to fit your family.

Welcome aboard!

We are now approaching the start of our third year of 'Husky ownership' and it has been a very enjoyable relationship, (apart from a couple of little 'mishaps' during the first few weeks)!

Take a quick look at my earlier posting 'Luna 18 months on' in this forum several weeks ago just to give you an idea of what experinces we 'shared' with our Husky, (I suspect no two adoptions are ever the same)!

Glad to see that you are considering the rehoming of a Husky, (all of our dogs were from various rescue centres), and, (as previous members have already stated), most rehoming centres are very responsible as they will initially 'vet' you, your home, (and your family), and you will then be invited to spend some time with your prospective Husky - at the rescue centre before you commit!

Hello there, thank you for your reply.

If I am picking up the correct information, Luna is your puppy I presume and wondered where you got her from?

regards 

Hi Leslie, I'd invite you to come visit, but I'm afraid it might be a bit of a drive :)

As others have said, it's great that you're getting on here and asking questions.  Too many don't and then wonder why they and their dog just aren't "hitting it off".

As you've probably gathered we all love our "friends in fur" and want to see nothing but the best for all of them and answering your questions so you have some idea of what you're getting in to is just part of sharing our love for the breed.

You might have noticed that no two of these dogs are the same and what you finally end up with, I guarantee, will be the bane and the love of your life - that's just the way they are! <laughing>

Welcome to our world and feel free to keep asking the questions...