Almost Kicked Out Of Petsmart

CARRINGTON

Yes that would be my dog who almost got his little butt kicked out of the petsmart grooming parlor. We took him to get his nails trimmed as they really needed it and they had to muzzle him and have two other people hold him while one trimmed his nails. We work with him at home allowing us to touch his paws, ears, teeth, etc. and he does fine with it, but as soon as someone brings out the clippers and clips one of his nails he goes into orbit!!!! We have tried rewarding for good behavior, etc. but nothing seems to be working. When he hears the first clip he will put his mouth on you, not bite down or anything but put his mouth on you and squirms, wiggles, yelps, etc. I am not sure what else we can do with him as he is fine with everyone touching his paws but it is the dang clippers that get him every time. He does fine with the grooming part but the nail part is ridiculous and they said if he keeps acting like that with nail trims he won't be allowed to come back :( I would do them at home on my own but I am too pregnant to hold him still and clip. He has never been clipped too short since he has been with us and from day one we have touched his paws, tail, etc. so I am not sure if something happened before we adopted him any suggestions

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...

My boy broke one of their crates that they put them in waiting for pickup. He wasn't kicked out and we weren't fined or anything. 

Sorry, no suggestions, but just in case if you are kicked out...is there another Petsmart near you that does grooming? They may not talk to each other, so you can just take him there. Or, find another grooming place besides PetSmart. The few times I stayed and watched Suka being brushed (without them knowing), I noticed they were pretty rough with him...so I took him to another Petsmart and he's fine with the people at the other one. 

Wow...

My boy broke one of their crates that they put them in waiting for pickup. He wasn't kicked out and we weren't fined or anything. 

Sorry, no suggestions, but just in case if you are kicked out...is there another Petsmart near you that does grooming? They may not talk to each other, so you can just take him there. Or, find another grooming place besides PetSmart. The few times I stayed and watched Suka being brushed (without them knowing), I noticed they were pretty rough with him...so I took him to another Petsmart and he's fine with the people at the other one. 

There isn't another Petsmart but there are tons of grooming places we may have to look into.

Do you get to stay with him?

I found with my first husky that if I put his nose under my arm and hugged him tightly, he would allow the vet to trim his. If I wasn't there, he would scream like they were trying to kill him. Never bit a soul, but certainly wanted to, I'm sure.

No we don't get to stay with him but we are in the store while he is there.

Petsmart's policy does not allow non-certified people behind the counters.

Not true.... We sometimes have to take our humane society dogs there that were so badly neglected that their hair is nothing but one giant mat that they will allow a staff member back there if it makes the dog more comfortable and a lot aren't certified.

same as claire , ive never trimmed my dogs nails , apart from one on skyla that for some reason wont wear down lol 

What about walking him on some tarmac for a few weeks, that way he won't need them clipped. My dog doesn't need clipping as 50 % of our walks are on the road, which is just as well as he hates his feet being touched.

We walk him on regular roads everyday and somehow his nails are still extremely long (I think he secretly puts miracle grow on them)

Hidden

Not true.... We sometimes have to take our humane society dogs there that were so badly neglected that their hair is nothing but one giant mat that they will allow a staff member back there if it makes the dog more comfortable and a lot aren't certified.

Actually it is true, whether that store sticks to the policy is their problem, but it is policy all the same.

Actually it is true, whether that store sticks to the policy is their problem, but it is policy all the same.

Well glad our store doesn't so the dogs can be comfortable I would hate to work with people who think they know it all and don't care about the comfort of peoples dogs. Glad every store doesn't follow this apparent policy

Honestly just sounds like you need to work on it more. I know you said you're working on it, but thats part of the husky breed. You can practice roll over every day, but some sibes absolutely refuse to roll over no matter how much you practice until what seems like an eternity later. It's just going to take some patience and consistency if you want to take him back there, or find another groomer that can handle him. 

Hidden

Well glad our store doesn't so the dogs can be comfortable I would hate to work with people who think they know it all and don't care about the comfort of peoples dogs. Glad every store doesn't follow this apparent policy

The cute little backhanded comments aren't needed. 

Try getting a pair of clippers for your home and add that to the routine of touching/handling his paws. Don't clip the nails, but work on him being okay around the clippers. Work up to touching his nails with the clippers and so on etc. Lots of good cookies and praise :)

Also try to find his most comfortable/happy grooming position; when I groom Jake he's always much better for me if he's laid out on his side. He's not as keen on me doing things to him while sitting or standing.

I've never taken her to a groomers but I clip my own's nails when it seems to be too long (I usually just have to clip her dew claw though)

What I do is I usually have a treat, something that takes her awhile to finish (so something that keeps her mind off of whatever I'm doing) and I lay her on her back and basically she's inbetween my legs (I'm sitting) 

Anyways while she's eating she'll move her paws a little but for the most part I finish clipping her in about a minute tops.

Then slowly I stopped giving her the treat before/during the clipping and she usually just gets praise or a treat afterwards.

It does take time but it works for us.  

Maybe try simulating the clipping noise as from what you're stating it seems like the noise is setting him off.  (The actually clipping shouldn't hurt at all unless clipped too close so he may just be reacting to the noise)  

^ You can just clip your fingernails in front of him and see how he reacts... If he's fine with the noise just lift his paw and pretend you're clipping it while clipping a fingernail. 

Need to find the actual source of his berserk-ness before you try to fix it.  

If that doesn't work -- sorry I don't know D:!

i keep a close eye on kumas dew claws because she has an extra nail on her toe that is mostly just quick & hardly any nail mass.... she HATES me to touch it, even when shes totally relaxed on her back. So its a 2 man operation while my partner distracts her on her side with lots of funny noises & petting around her face, while i trim her dews. Ive tried few times with treats & doing it myself, but i gave up after a few clips. she just wriggles & runs away.

good luck 

We clip at home the best we can. Usually it takes one person distracting her and another person to do the clipping - and a bottle of bitter apple spray set between us :) I also don't try to do them all at once, and worry most about the dew claws since they hook and I'm always afraid she's going to rip them off. 

I cannot imagine her letting a groomer do it. She doesn't mind her feet being touched, but she does NOT like her nails being clipped.

honestly if the groomer can't manage to get them done, they don't know how to do their job properly. one of the first things you learn when being a vet tech is basic grooming, including nail trims, no matter how much the dog resists there are so many different ways to manage to get them cut.

i'd call your vet and have them cut the dogs nails.