Help! Yukon Had A Seizure

Jay

Has anyone had experience with their huskies having a seizure?  We were laying in bed and all of a sudden Yukon started twitching and then his whole body was rigid and he started foaming at the mouth.  It lasted for about a minute, and immediately after he had a dazed look and his breathing was heavy.  I was scared beyond belief and didn't know what to do.  Right now he is acting normal but I am going to take him to the vet asap, and if he has another one I will go to the emergency vet.  I am hoping someone has some insight on this.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would him swallowing something he shouldn't give him a seizure though?   Hes eaten things all the time before and never had a seizure. 

It seemed pretty violent and was nothing like I saw online. 

Sorry, I have no input. :(

But I would do exactly as your planning, take him to the vet ASAP. If he has another one tonight, take him to the emergency vet. He may have swallowed something he shouldn't.

would him swallowing something he shouldn't give him a seizure though?   Hes eaten things all the time before and never had a seizure. 

It seemed pretty violent and was nothing like I saw online. 

If it was poisonous (ie: rat poison), it could cause him to have a seizure. Considering he is so young, that would be my guess...but I'm not a vet.

If he has another one tonight, take him to emerg. Good luck and well wishes...

If you mean like a fit yes Saskia has them every now and then not nice but there is not a great deal anyone can do about it its just like when someone that as epilepsy fits :(

Like we did when Saskia had her 1st get her checked out but don't be surprised to be told there is nothing they can do  because the treatment and drugs tend to be for controlling the seizures  not the epilepsy and way one step at a time get him checked 1st and good luck.

Yer my gsd had them there horrid to watch but I have seizures too now so I know how she must of felt after one. I would get him checked out unfortunately I lost my girl due to a seizure after been to the vets that day after her been on mediation for nearly a year she had 3 in one day they tried everything but she went on to have 2 move and her back end went :'(

Sorry to read bout Yukon's seizure.

I had a mongrel with epilepsy from an early age. We had him on meds his whole life for it, and he was a brilliant dog, living to the ripe old age of 17. (I have a son with it as well so I have a good understanding of it). It's horrible to see, but they have no idea or recollection of it - they will just be knackered following it and have a good sleep. If it is epilepsy, taking him to the vets is the right course as the meds do work. If they don't eliminate the seizures, they should reduce the frequency.

Any news? I know that in humans you usually get the first fit checked out but once diagnosed with epilepsy you are told its not necessary to go to hospital for every seizure, only if you come out of one and go straight into another, the seizure lasts for a longer than normal time, or there are other complications. Has she had any new medicines or a high temp? Sometimes this can cause seizures instead of epilepsy. Good luck Jason, fingers crossed for you. Xxx

Thanks guys.  Its weird because they came out of no where and he didn't get into anything that I know of.  Each one lasted at least a minute and he was foaming at the mouth.  Happened at 10:30pm last night and 7:40am this morning.  The vet said if he has another one to give him the Phenobarbital that she prescribed.  If he has a few more after that, then bring him back in for an injection.  They won't know the results of the blood test until Monday, and even that can't determine if it was a toxin or if he has epilepsy, although she seemed to think it is the latter.  She said sometimes they never have another one again.

So we will have to watch him...luckily I called off today and he won't be alone until Tuesday.  It was the scariest thing I ever witnessed, I literally thought he was dying.  

Needless to say he will be spoiled and it will be a chore to keep Nikko from playing too rough for now!