Help! Yukon Had A Seizure

Jay

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes however the vet said that any reactions to the shot would have happened within 24 hours, so she did not seem to think that had anything to do with it.  

When he had it last night I was a mess...I didn't think he was going to make it.  I only slept a few hours last night, and when it happened again this morning at least I knew what to expect but it was still scary. 

I just hope he doesn't have epilepsy.  Poor guy has so much other things going on with his legs, and his car sickness, its not fair :(  Damn breeders

Jason, that is so scary. I am glad he got into the vet. Is Yukon the one who just had his lepto shot?

Yeah I am doing research on the condition, it does seem common.  One person I met from another group has a husky with seizures, although I am finding that the medication has some long term side effects.

I had a Staffie cross on phenobarbitone most of his life, and it did pretty much keep the epilepsy in check until he got to very old age (17 years). Right at the end me started getting more seizures, but he did have a good innings. I hope it isn't epilepsy, but if it is, I hope it's mild and drug-responsive. Fingers crossed for you.

Thank you!  I do too.  So far he hasn't had another one yet, and it's been almost 8 hours.  He has been acting normal all afternoon but I am a nervous wreck!  Every move he makes I am worried it is going to happen again.  I just hope it was an isolated incident and he won't have any more :(

:( hopefully if it is epliespy you caught it early and will be able to manage it through medications. have you tried contact his breeder for any information, maybe possible littermates with the same issues?

a friends husky from another forum, she's purebred but they rescued her from a husky rescue in maryland as a puppy, she started having seizures, if you'd like to read more about their story and what they do to manage her seizures: merbear.laminarchaos.net

Jason, just read this thread. Hope all the best for Yukon. Had a.Cairn Terrier years ago that had several seizures. It is scary.

I contacted the breeder yesterday and she said that none of the parents or his relatives ever had seizures.  He only had 1 litter mate and I don't know about her.  

I think that his breeder isa BYB though.  He did have 2 other littermates and one of them died early (don't know from what).  And Yukons front legs are deformed, which the vet said as long as he isn't in pain it is not worth surgery, he just might be pre-disposed to arthritis. 

:( hopefully if it is epliespy you caught it early and will be able to manage it through medications. have you tried contact his breeder for any information, maybe possible littermates with the same issues?

a friends husky from another forum, she's purebred but they rescued her from a husky rescue in maryland as a puppy, she started having seizures, if you'd like to read more about their story and what they do to manage her seizures: merbear.laminarchaos.net

Yukon had another seizure around 2am last night.  It seemed worse than the other 2, and he peed (which I read was normal).  Per the vet's instructions I got a prescription for the meds, so I will start him on those today, and he will need to go back in 30-45 days for blood tests.  

Thanks all.  The meds can take up to 2 weeks to work completely, but I am hoping they keep the seizures from happening again.   If he does have 2-3 more then they told us to bring him back in for an injection.