Help! Yukon Had A Seizure

Jay

So sorry to hear this. I hope Yukon is feeling better soon and his meds help!

My Lab has epilepsy so I know how terrifying and distressing it is to see!

He had his first when he was 5 and there were no signs previous to this or in his history and as he's got older ( now 12 ) the space between them has got longer. Due to his being quite a distance apart the vets haven't medicated him.

I found talking to him and just stroking him brings him round a bit quicker and he is less dazed.

Wishing you all the best xx

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This breaks my HEART to pieces!!! I love that little fuzzball!!!! I am sorry to hear about his breeder, around here most breeders are back yard breeders :( not sure if it is the same for you up there, but in topic discussions at the humane society as well in some of my animal classes I hear BYB is becoming amazingly common in the US and it is hard to find reputable breeders any more. Hopefully the vet calls you first thing in the morning on Monday as I would be worried sick if it was Balto.

I actually got him from a breeder in Michigan, as there are not many husky breeders around me.  Most of them seem to be in Iowa and Missouri from what I read up on it.  

She did not seem like it when I saw the pictures and talked to her, but when I went to pick him up there were like 40 dogs on the property and she had about 10 puppies in cages in the house.  She seemed to love them very much but I wonder since the house was in pretty bad shape. Another thing that had me thinking is when one of Yukon's littermates died and I have no idea how.  

Anyway, I really think it is epilepsy, and the vet seemed to think that too.  I can't think of any toxins he could have gotten into, but then again I cant be 100% sure.  The only thing I can possibly think of is last weekend my sink clogged and I had to pour draino down the sinks, but I kept the dogs out of the kitchen, although who knows if any splashed onto the floor.  Highly unlikely but now I just think of every little thing that could have caused this.

The blood test probably isn't going to tell us a whole lot, and he just started the seizure meds today.  So I hope that within the week the seizures are under control.  

Whatever it takes I will do it though!  At least he can still have a happy long life even if it is epilepsy.   

And he has his brothers to play with and keep him company, husky parents who let him sleep on the bed, pull out the foot rest for him, give him tons of food, doesn't make him walk a lot... Wait a minute his life actually sounds kind of good, I am missing out I should have been a dog

I wanted to thank everyone for their well wishes and concerns. It means a lot and says a lot about this forum, I should say family because that is what you all are :). I know Yukon appreciates that so many people all over the world are thinking of him :)

Love you guys!!!

I hope you and Yukon are doing well! Just read through the thread, how scary ><!

I just wanted to point out be sure to check his other medications before giving them now that you know this happens- The heartworm/flea/intestinal worm pill Trifexis can trigger seizures in dogs that are prone to them. I'm not sure if Comfortis (flea medication in Trifexis) is the same. I'm sure your vet will check on future medications that may be needed for him from here on out now that they know.

Edit: Hit post too soon lol. Seen lots of dogs with seizures use phenobarb with great success; hopefully Yukon will respond well to it :)

So glad the meds seem to be working! Keeping my fingers crossed that he will get better~
I've never seen a dog have a seizure, but we used to get a goldendoodle at the kennel that had seizures. His eye was also messed up, it was clouded over and bent backwards, which was most likely due to a brain tumor. He was only 2. It's such a shame. unfortunately, there is only so much you can do at that point :/

Thank you! And you never want to witness it. I never saw one before not would ever suspect he would have one. So when the first one came I was pretty freaked out. I didn't know what was going on. It's horrifying.

Anyway if it's meds and tests he needs then that's what we will do!! He got a special bone treat yesterday for being a good and brave boy! Although it was difficult keeping his brothers from stealing it lol

I heard back from the vet, and his tests all came back negative, so that rules out anything medical. Which means it is most likely epilepsy. We will have to keep him on phenobarbital, and go in for annual blood tests to monitor his condition. Since he developed this so young, she did say it is more difficult to get it under control, but it is a good sign that he has not had any more seizures, although the medication can take up to a week or two to completely get into his system. So, in all I have to consider this good news that it's nothing medical, like a tumor or toxin, and it can be controlled; although sad that he has epilepsy so young and has to be on medication already. Thank you for all of your concern too :)

He was doing good. No seizures since Friday night. I was worried because today was the first day I had to leave him alone but I went home for lunch and he was fine, acting like normal :) He does seem a little groggy, but it can take a couple weeks for those affects to wear off from the drugs