Get Your Husky Neutered ? Yes Or No

Patrick Marino

It's cloudy, it's rainy, it's cold - so I may not have much electricity today.  Yeh, I have no electric bill with solar power, but some days I have no electricity.  Okay, now that that's out of my system ...

Patrick, may I suggest that you've really asked two questions. 

The first is "Should you get your husky neutered?"  I think the unequivocal answer with a couple of exceptions is going to be "Yes!"  (The exceptions, of course, are for work or show dogs.)  There are way too many Husky's (and dogs in general) in rescue and dog pounds - anything we can do to relieve that pressure is a positive.

The second is "Does it change their disposition?" (or other things?)  My Sasha was in good shape when I brought her home. but after having her spayed I can't keep the weight off her, so in that instance there was a definite change (in the "other things" category.)  She had a miserable attitude when I first brought her home and over the course of the year and a half she's been here, she's become much more relaxed - but I can't say that that has anything to do with her being spayed.

I think that the reason you're seeing so many different responses to this question is that it seems to literally depend on the dog.  Some become calmer, some become more aggressive, some don't change at all.  And regrettably, I don't think there's any way to tell which will occur with any particular dog.

I'm a very calm person and my dogs pick up on that, so they're real layed back about most things.  If that also describes you, then I can suggest that having her spayed won't change things much.  If you're one of the Hyper crowd, always up about something, then the chances that there will be "bad results" probably increases significantly.

He lives in NY a concrete jungle. He will never see a female dog. So not worried about unwanted dogs. He does not go to dog parks . Right now he is a perfect dog . He plays eats and sleeps . Never pooped or peed in the house. Never ripped up anything that I don,t give him. Little too smart opened my back door top and bottom lock and sent the cops coming that's about the baddest thing he did. 9ft fence in backyard can never get loose. People say oh he will get cancer if you don't . But that's not guaranteed. He is one year old now has a perfect shape . Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may not Intend on his meeting a lady dog but if he hasn't been neutered and a female dog relatively nearby is In season then he will likely go nuts trying to escape to get to her.

At the very least he may react to this scent by becoming agitated, moody, unpredictable, increased scent marking etc....

As you can tell, I see no point in taking chances if you do not intend to work or show.

It will be stressful for him as an entire male if he is not allowed to breed.

Luka turned 2 in October and I am getting him neutered this Christmas because I don't like seeing him frustrated! Of course, the only other positive aspect for me is that it will eliminate any risk of testicular cancer!

He's perfect, so I really hope the neutering does not change him in any way. I know he will enjoy life more, as he won't be trying to dominate everyone on pack walks, getting himself into trouble and go round trying to own all the females.

Hidden

People say oh he will get cancer if you don't . But that's not guaranteed. He is one year old now has a perfect shape .

Unfortunately what they often don't say it that they are more prone to bone cancers after being altered. Really its just whatever is comfortable for you. If you think you can handle an unaltered dog, then there is no reason to neuter. 

My Storm was the perfect boy before being done. Since he was done, he's even more perfect. Obviously I'm biased. I had a Keeshond years ago and lived in the countryside where there were maybe 4 dogs within half a mile. He was really good and well-behaved up to about 3 years. After that, and especially when I moved house and he came into contact with other dogs, he became a real trouble maker with other males, especially entire males, to the degree that I was lucky that he didn't get me into serious hot water.

Having had that experience, I would never have a dog without getting him neutered. They are better. They become more affectionate if anything, and certainly more relaxed with life.

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth, but before I even got Storm, I knew that he would be neutered as soon as practicable.

Unfortunately what they often don't say it that they are more prone to bone cancers after being altered. Really its just whatever is comfortable for you. If you think you can handle an unaltered dog, then there is no reason to neuter.

Not heard about the bone cancer. Interesting.

We had the privilege of adopting both our amazing husky's...with that said we didn't have the option as shelter dogs are "fixed" around here. I'm on the have your "animals" fixed side of the fence...but its completely just my preference. Whatever works best for you and your pup is your decision. :)

I guess if I get him fixed he will stop sniffing the women and the men you no were . That's all I really noticed . Lol I just hope he does not change too much . I am leaning toward getting him fixed. I never got any of the previous male dogs I owned fixed had two Maltese one had a tumor and the other a heart attack. . Can anyone tell me with a male is there anything I have to do ? May sound stupid I know . Is there a bandage or anything else I have to change every day ? Just want to know so I take off a couple of days from work,

Here's a really helpful article I found awhile ago. It lists the benefits and cons and spaying and neutering. Please give it a read.

Personally, I'm all for spaying and neutering...accidental litters do happen. And I've have the unfortunate experience of seeing young puppies being put down because of it. But, at the same time, there are side effects both healthwise and behaviour-wise. Sometimes the behaviour changes for the better, sometimes it doesn't change.

I would recommend consulting with many vets, and bring a printout of that article (Below) with you. See what they think. 

LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Thanks a lot . That's what I was looking for will read ASAP

I know when I ask the vet they just want to talk you into it for $500

Haha - which is why I said talking to multiple vets. There are some out there that don't try to manipulate or gouge you. 

That's like the shots we go for every year okay I can see rabie shot but I wonder about the rest. I had 4 Maltese that never left my house got them shots one time when they were born and that's it and they lived average 16yrs

Yeah, my vet said to me (straight up) that the reason why she sends out vaccination reminders is to get people in for their dog's annual check up. She said that, otherwise, the majority of her clients wouldn't bring their dog in for their annual checkup.

Where I live, rabies is required by law....but all the others are optional. I get them all anyways, though, because mine is in contact with other stranger dogs all the time (dog park, etc) so better to be safe than sorry! 

I guess if I get him fixed he will stop sniffing the women and the men you no were . That's all I really noticed . Lol I just hope he does not change too much . I am leaning toward getting him fixed. I never got any of the previous male dogs I owned fixed had two Maltese one had a tumor and the other a heart attack. . Can anyone tell me with a male is there anything I have to do ? May sound stupid I know . Is there a bandage or anything else I have to change every day ? Just want to know so I take off a couple of days from work,

It never changed my girl at all

No bandage just make sure he rests n he might need to go back to the vets to have stitches out depending on what they use (my boy did my girl didn't)

This seems to be a hot topic. I took Julius to the vet yesterday he said I have up to 3yrs to decide. I ask about dogs that got cancer from getting neutered he said was true but rare. He said the main reasons were testicle cancer (but does not mean he will get if not fixed) and to chase after females. Other than that it's just your choice.

My ex had a boxer and was told to get him done to calm him down. It had the opposite effect. He was more hyper became vicious to strangers (attacked me first time i met him) and lost big patches of his hair all over his body. Other dogs i have known where they have had it done to calm them down again has had the opposite effect. So atm for us i don't think we will.