Eisa Is Not Well

Mazz

Came home from work Friday night to a very messy and smelly kitchen floor. Eisa had piddled and pooped several times. And the poop was very loose and soft. Did not give too much thought to the poop, but the piddling seemed odd, in that it was several areas and the volume was small. Cleaned it up while the dogs were outside. Eisa had to go out fairly frequently Friday night. But she would squat very briefly, come in, and a few minutes later, it was the same routine again. This repeated all evening. Friday night, she did not sleep through and had us up several times. Saturday, and Sunday, same thing. Last night, she was up all night waking us up. Today her stools were liquid. Took the afternoon off and took her to the vet. Urine sample came back negative. No blood or mucous in either the urine or stools. Vet wanted to take an x-Ray to see if bladder stones showed up or something else abnormal showed. Her temp was normal, by the way. Before he took the x-Ray, he felt her abdomen and noticed she reacted as if there was tenderness. She yipped several times during the exam. The x-Ray showed no bladder stones, but what it did show were pockets of gas in her intestines and colon. He suspects she may have an intestinal infection. He said he could run tests to confirm, but it would cost me about $150, and by the time all the results came back, if we started treatment now, she'd be over the problem anyway. He felt that spending less on the treatment was a better approach. So, it's no food for 24 hours, antibiotics twice a day for seven days, and a mix of rice, steamed ground turkey with scrambled eggs at 1/2 cup per meal, four meals per day for three days, then transition back to her kibble. Three days from now, if her stools do not firm up, I'm to call the vet, and he will prescribe another med to add. When I got the bill for today's visit, I asked the vet if he had a boat payment due this month.

Edited by Mazz

Last night, Eisa slept through all night. Tonight, mess free kitchen. Fed Eisa 1/2 cup rice, egg, and ground turkey. So far, so good.

Thank you all. Eisa was pretty frisky this morning. Came home tonight wit a little bit of urp in the kitchen, but nothing that concerned me. Still on the bland diet. Stools are firming up. Will keep her on the bland diet through Friday, and start the transition back to kibble on Saturday.