Hi I'm New So I Thought I Would Introduce Myself

LoveHuskyForever

Hi I'm new to the forum so allow me to introduce myself. I am 20 years old and currently I do not own a husky but have always admired the breed. I live in a appartment and they do not allow pets unless they live in a cage. I decided to become a member of the forum because I want to lear everything I can about them. I've heard so many things and want to know what is true and what is false. Hopfully when I'm on my own I can finally have my husky lol. I've been around dogs and cats all my life in fact I've been around dogs since I came home from the hospital. My cat my parents adopted for me when I was around 5. I currently have a guinea pig which I love dearly. Well that's my story and thanks.

That's not necessarily true.  Yes, of course they were designed to survive in arctic conditions but with the correct treatment they can handle the hotter weather.  Several of our members are from the southern states of the usa and will likely be able to advise you better but simple things such as:

*  air conditioning/fans

*  exercise during the evening/early morning when cooler

*  plenty of water/frozen treats to help cool off

*  on a particularly hot day a paddling pool or foot bath in tepid water can help them to cool off (a husky sweats through its feet so cools off faster there)

*  The husky coat is like double glazed windows:  it both keeps out the extreme cold and extreme heat.

hope this helps.  :)

Tonya, I live in the desert southwest (the Big Bend area of Texas) and a cool day down here, in the summer, is in the 90's.  I have two Husky's and they both do fine - 'course they hibernate during the heat of the day (just as most of us humans do!)

The thing we who live in hot climates have to watch is the water level since they depend so much more on water for keeping cool than we do.  Also, having shade where they can get out of the sun is a requirement!  (( Tell that to Avalanche who likes to sun bath when it's hitting 100! ))

As Emma said, it's their double coat that really makes it so they can live in the cold - or the heat!

Hiya Tonya, welcome to Husky Owners  :wave:

You will find we are a friendly, truthful bunch & will answer any questions as much as we can - so they don't get missed, feel free to start new topics in the relevant sections on the main home page then members will be able to answer you without missing any queries you may have  :D

Hello and welcome to the forum!  Feel free to ask away!  Everyone's got to start somewhere and it's great that you are doing your research first! 

I agree with what Al said...there isn't many climates that a Husky can't thrive in.  We get hot summer's here too, and mine just stay indoors during the really hot days.  Just be prepared to go on walks when the temp is below freezing LOL.  I walk mine no matter how cold it is, and they seem extra hyper in the winter.  In the summer they seem to know it's hot and mostly lay around lol

welcome im also new. i have two short haired huskies live in tx. one will lay on the concrete all day long if u let her when its above 100 degrees, the other strictly bathroom and right back in when its that hot. these dogs require lots of attention and exercise. i have found its much better to have 2 than 1 but thats just my opinion. good luck to you for when u do get one

sent thru smoke signals directly out the top of my teepee!!!