New To The Forum - Blue Belle

Aimee

Hi everyone,

We have just brought home our husky pup Blue. She is our first Husky (we sadly lost our German Shephard earlier this year and felt we needed a change in breed). After lots of research we decided a Husky would fit into our family nicely and now I am staying at home I have all the time needed so we went ahead. So far she has been fantastic, paper trained and starting to learn her basic commands after only a week. She has now had her first injections so we are starting to introduce her to the garden and train her to go outside. As its been a while since having a puppy any tips are welcome and also anything specific to Huskies that would be of help would be useful to know. I also wondered how true it is that huskies cannot be trained to recall - not sure how much of my internet research to believe! 

Aimee x

This is her ...

post-11028-0-31551400-1384368574.png

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome :) Would love to see pics.

A husky can be trained to recall. However most would say a husky can't be trusted off leash. Aka walking with your dog off leash.

I've been working on this a lot lately at the dog park since mine tends to play too rough with others. Now, a simple name call will have her recall to me (or around me but my goal was just to distract her, but she will come if asked... most of the time :) .. still working on getting it 100% ) But it is totally Possible.

Off leash is something I don't trust dogs with in general. It might be just me but I wouldn't want to risk it no matter how well trained I think my dog is. My dog's sibling's momma lets both hers off leash but with the help of an e-collar, I believe. Unfortunately, I'm not ask trusting as her :P.

Congrats on your furbaby :D

Welcome to husky owners!  Great to see you're researching the breed.  To answer your question honestly, although it's a good idea to teach some recall in your husky.  their natural stubborn instincts, ability to think for themselves, and prey drive make it next to impossible to train a consistently  reliable recall.  That's why the breed is considered an on lead only one.  Good luck with your new addition and congratulations!  Hope to see lots and lots of pictures soon.  xxx

Hi everyone I will try and upload a picture as not sure if it worked first time around :)

This sounds really silly - with the recall is it just that if left in an exposed place they will just run off - so say if you were in an enclosed park/field would you allow your husky off? Or would it be a case of chasing them around the park to get them back?

Our GSD had great recall until there was other dogs and so you had to go fetch her back (not aggressive in anyway just playing) but because she was a big dog that even other dog walkers were scared of we never let her off - apart from in our local woods and then if I could see someone I would call her back and put her on leash again) so would it be right in saying I couldn't do this with our husky? It doesn't worry me as we have an extending lead and eventually once she is a lot older I would like her as a running partner :)

Again any help on the easiest way to do this would be great as I have also heard they can sometimes pull and I'm not that fast lol! We also had a halti to help wit our GSD but I have read that you shouldn't use this with huskies as they are trained to pull as it were and so they can injure themselves and so to use a harness instead is this true? 

Also we are in Surrey and I have seen you do meet ups - does anyone know of any near by we are in Surbiton/Kingston upon Thames area. 

I've managed to add some pictures below I think! 

This first one is at 8 weeks and the one next to it is of our son Theo (4) who is absolutely besotted with her - I can see them being best friends - he adored our GSD. 

Sorry for all the questions and thank you all for replying x

post-11028-0-46697700-1384369863.jpg

post-11028-0-40743300-1384369874.png

Kc is a siberian mix and is 7.5months, she's never been off leash on purpose, altho has gotten out of her harnass twice on the side of a busy road and has come back twice, thank god...and she does well on recall at puppy school-playtime...would I let her off leash on purpose out in the world? Probbly not but I'm pretty obsessed with my baby lol. Welcome to the site- the people here are fantastic and ur baby is super cute!!!

Luvs, KC and her pack.

Hi Aimee, welcome to Husky Owners  :wave:

You are doing all the right things asking questions while Blue is still young. I have found that a husky does not portray the full husky traits until around 18 months to 2 years old. Before that, our girl lulled us in to a false sense of security in that she always recalled until she turned about 20 months - then she went deaf to our recall pleas and did as she liked! Luckily we were out in the fields in the back of beyond but it took us AGES to get her back & even then only because she was tired running from us playing catch! So now that is it - never again! She is 8 years old now & I wouldn't trust her an inch!  :lol:

As for the other questions, you will get more answers if you start a new topic in the Training & Behaviour section - http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/forum/49-training-behaviour/ - asking a specific question or having a read through what is already posted, you will find a mine of information there that may help.  :D

Hi Val,

Interesting to know about the traits coming out later - I was wondering about this as she has been a lot easier than expected, doesn't cry when I've left to pick the boys up from school, sleeps well with just one wake up at 5am and then once I've taken her down to do her business she's back upstairs and will go back to sleep until about 7 when our children come in (she is in a crate next to our bed) the only naughty thing is she has had a thing for my rug - kept weeing on it and chewing the edge but since that's been taken away she hasn't had any more accidents (4 days now). I was wondering if it was too good to be true! lol! She's not overly fussy for attention either - she will quite happily sit in the kitchen with the stairgate across if the boys want to play a toy with small parts (otherwise she will eat it as she is a pup!) but then I think a lot of this is because being a pup she still sleeps quite a lot atm. She was one of the quieter ones of the litter - apparently she was especially attached to dad - the breeder said he had been looking for her - although she has taken to the change really well shes been with us nearly 2 weeks now! 

We will see as time goes by lol!! 

xx