Walking A Husky

karanvirsaini

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya its fine when im walking him because I will go on the scooter with him too but when my dad takes him he doesnt go on the scooter so it is really hard for him. My mom wants to walk him too but she cant because he pulls alot. Mia-Blue do you have anything on you bike to clip him to of do you just hold the leash?

Some have had success with the Walk Your Dog With Love Harness, or other front leading harnesses, but mine figured out how to pull in them. 

You can also try the 'turn around' method. Whenever they start to pull, you stop and turn around and start walking in the other direction. If they pull again, do the same thing. And repeat. Though, this method didn't work for mine either.

Personally, I use the martingale/half-check collar. It took a lot of corrections at first...but now he walks loose leash (most of the time). 

The walking belt is mainly to save your arm when they pull. Though it can be dangerous, especially if your dog suddenly pulls, you lose your balance, fall, and are dragged because you can't let go of the leash. That's why I don't use my walking belt anymore.

Ya its fine when im walking him because I will go on the scooter with him too but when my dad takes him he doesnt go on the scooter so it is really hard for him. My mom wants to walk him too but she cant because he pulls alot. Mia-Blue do you have anything on you bike to clip him to of do you just hold the leash?

Their gangline attaches to the front on the scooter or bike. They run out in front of both. You can get a bar which attaches to the bike, this prevents them from becoming tangled around the wheel if the line becomes slack.

The front control harness is a great piece of equipment. I can't manage Teo on a lead and collar as he is so strong. However my 13 year old daughter can easily walk him alone with the harness.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Hey Mia-Blue where do you get one of those front clip harnesses from?

They sell them at Pets at Home. Or they can be custom made.

Their gangline attaches to the front on the scooter or bike. They run out in front of both. You can get a bar which attaches to the bike, this prevents them from becoming tangled around the wheel if the line becomes slack.

The front control harness is a great piece of equipment. I can't manage Teo on a lead and collar as he is so strong. However my 13 year old daughter can easily walk him alone with the harness.

They sell them at Pets at Home. Or they can be custom made.

Thanks

Thanks

Not a problem :)

Let us know how you get on.

When we first got Teo I hated walks as there were so difficult with all the pulling. His harness was like a small miracle and we've never looked back x

I have the martingale collar and use it every day but it stops him for a bit and then decides to run again. I tried going on a bike with him but when I brake he yanks on the collar trying to get me going again and just ends up flipping me.

Try him on a pulling harness with the bike. The gangline has elastic in it so it reduces the shock when the pulling isn't smooth

Panda will pull if i allow him, however i do have times where i would like him to walk at heel like plazas or places with a lot of people. All i use is a regular collar, whenever he puts tension on the leash i snap it sideways.

Only takes a few times for him to get the idea..I've slowly added in a que "slow down". This was taught by my friend actually who walks his 2 huskies off leash and he was walking panda and another dog that pulls. he managed to get them both at heel behind everyone else for the remainder of a fairly long walk.

I've also used Prong collar and that worked really well. But it was a pain to take on and off..as well as i felt it would injure his neck if he saw an animal and lunged to chase it.

Storm likes to pull like a train, and I do harness this by having him pull me on the bike on a proper lanyard with bungie and cross back harness.

However, when out walking, he's one of three dogs, so I cannot have him pulling. What I've found is that he responds to being pulled back by pulling more - there's a natural satisfaction for him in that. Therefore, I have him on an extendable lead, but without the button pressed in. If he goes ahead, I stop dead and tell him BACK, and he comes back to heal. It took him no time to learn that the quickest way to the park is to my heal. I have all 3 dogs (2 huskies, 1 collie cross) in my right hand, Storm walking on my left with the lead across me (with the other two walking on my right) . If Storm does go too far ahead, I'll flick his back end with the fingers of my left hand to remind him exactly where he should be positioned. The other thing that I found worked was to play with Storm's tail, which he was not keen on and would jump back to heal. It's just a matter of finding what works for your dog, but with huskies, pulling back on a lead does NOT work in my experience, as huskies do get a satisfaction out of having something to pull against.

I do have a Halti head harness, but do not like using it as Storm does not enjoy wearing it - it's a pleasure for me as he only pulls as hard as his nose will take, but in his mind, he is still pulling. It is more satisfying to master the walking to heal by understanding the psychology of your husky, but it did take me around a year to master the walk to heal, with many a false dawn!

Is there anyone that walks their husky off leash? and if sohow did you train him/her to do so?

No, letting a husky off-leash is extremely dangerous. A stubborn-mind combined with selective-hearing does not go over well...

In regards to the Martingale, I had that problem too as well. I had to be consistent. Everytime I would feel him pull, I would correct him. Even if it was every 10 seconds, I would do it. Whenever he walked nicely for a little bit, I would praise him (good boy, good boooy!). 

The harder he decided to pull, the harder I would make my corrections. If he lunged at something, I would stop, and make him sit. Usually he would refuse, and we would be in a stand-off for like 5 minutes. I would not allow him to go anywhere until he sat for me. 

For awhile, I had to walk him with a traffic handle...corrections are easier to make with a traffic handle, by the way. Its all in the wrist. Also, with the traffic handle, I found he couldn't get as much momentum for pulling as the 'leash' was only like a foot long. If that.

Actually, I still walk him with that handle. We have an agreement with each other. Along his walk, he has a few places where he is allowed 'free time' if he's been good: I give him the full length of the leash (6ft). He is allowed to pee on things, etc. But he still isn't allowed to pull or lunge, otherwise his free-time immediately is taken away. If he's been really bad (ie: pulled me down), he doesn't get anymore free-time for the remainder of the walk.

I just read over what I wrote, and to clear up any confusion...I use a police-lead from Indi-dog. It allows me to adjust the length of the leash, and it has a traffic handle built in.