Fence Issue

ZachAttack

My fence is 6 foot 6 inches high which i think is fine but there are some support bricks on the wall i fear my dog may use to climb up the fence and over in a bid for freedom.

Am i just being paranoid or will he actually attempt to jump this? Pics of the brick work he could use as a climbing frame are shown below

post-10673-0-77820000-1384730261.jpg

post-10673-0-50104900-1384730262.jpg

In my experience it depends on the dog. Mia doesn't know how to jump! She doesn't even try to!! Teo and Belle on the other hand love to escape! We have put a return on the top of our 6' fence, so when they looks up they can't see over the top.....so far this has worked!! Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

hes never shown any interest of escaping the garden before even when we left the gate open by accident last week he was just stood there, he could have ran off but he wasn't interested.

There is a dog next door that he likes to play with but that's the only reason i  can think of why he'd want to escape. He's also getting the OP soon so im hoping that will put him off too

IF he's inclined to go over the wall, then yeh with the bricks and the cross pieces at the top you've given him a real good ladder.

With me and mine, Sasha was kept behind a 3 foot fence and didn't care, she was happy there and it was home (that's where I picked her up from) She walked up to the fence to say "Hi!" but didn't even put her feet up. So I'd have no problem there.

Avalanche, on the other paw, can and has jumped several feet up (to get on the porch without using the steps) but since mine are now solidly on lead when they're out it's not a problem.

You'll just have to watch and see if think they want out or not ... from what you said, you probably wouldn't have a problem ....

A lot depends on whats on the other side of the fence.

If there is something interesting. . . Chickens, another dog etc then he might be tempted

But if it's 'just' a garden then he'll probably just ignore it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a 4-foot fence around my yard since we first got Sabaka, so he hasn't known anything else.  He can't jump, so the idea of bounding over the top has never occurred to him.  Lately, however, he has found that he can pull up the bottom of the fence and scoot under it.  He's done this several times now, and each time I've strengthened that section of fence to discourage him.  Unfortunately, I can't do that for every inch of fencing.  Tonight, I let him out for a few minutes around midnight, 'cause he was asking to go out.  Unfortunately, he got away and took off.  So, here I was, after midnight, running around in the woods with a flashlight! 

I couldn't yell his name because of the lateness of the hour, and I was half afraid that someone would shoot me or call the cops.  Eventually, I realized that the chance of finding a husky in the dark was pretty slim, so I was going to give up.  I prayed that God might be merciful to me and bring him to me.  Literally within 30 seconds, Sabaka ran up to me as if to say "I'm ready to go home now!".  I don't know why God answered that prayer, but I'm so thankful He did!  I guess Sabaka won't get to be alone in the yard any more.

That's the thing I guess, if they are outside alone. We have a field but at the moment its not secure but when it is I still wouldn't leave them outside on their own. For their late night pee I would always have them on a lead, that way they no to do their business :)