My Rescue Jango

HuskyGuerl

Ok this is the first time I have really dealt with a rescue. I want the best for this boy. And want to keep this as his forever home. This is where im going to update progress on him at. And let everyone know how he is doing. and also post some photos. Maybe videos of progress. Just any tips would be great!! so far..

Day 1: Was perfect on the car ride home and was perfect with other dogs. Did great when he met our pups. They are all doing well together. He slept in the floor of our room with no accidents. Didnt show interest in wanting to eat his food. HATES things around his neck. Freaked when I tried to take collar of so left it on.

Day 2: Still did great with our pups. Met my parents and little sister and showed no aggression issues. Still would not eat so I twirled my hand in his bowl and told him its yummy and he bit me for touching his food. I talked him through it and soothed him that he was ok and did all right. Later that night i held his bowl and called him to me and he ate out of the bowl out of my hand. Im now able to touch his bowl but he is still timid. I still talk him through it. Tried to scratch his ear because thats where my dogs like it and when i got to his neck he freaked and bit me. I talked him though it and showed him it was ok.

Day 3: thought we would try the kennel thing. As soon as he saw the cages he freaked out and threw his head down and began to whine. We left the door open and allowed him to venture. He finally went in and fell asleep. Learning that we will not force him in there he can go in and out freely. Also was able to feed him in the cage and shut the door without him freaking out. Still takes him a bit before he will go in the cage. He will not go in it or near it when we are standing near. I was able to take his collar and things off today but he stilled growled. I just talked him through it.

Day 4: Learned that he has a very powerful bark when he plays. He has a major problem with jumping. He knocked me down three times today and it really hurt. Im not really sure on how to stop him yet. He loves to be outside. I showed him out and i grabbed a collar so i could put larka on her runner so she does not escape and he jumped up and down with glee. I think he wants to go on a walk. Will take him out in a bit. Hopeing he allows me to put his collar on.

I love him dearly already!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the jumping issue, I heard you are supposed to hold up an arm at chest level to 'block' him, then straighten out your arm so he falls off (if his front paws are on your arm).

Sounds like you're doing okay on the other issues...these things just takes time. It took mine 3ish weeks to fully settle into my home.

I think you've achieved loads in a short space of time.  Sounds like he's been mistreated at some point, do you have any background info on him?

My husky is a rescue and we got over his issues pretty quickly, I hope you do too :)

He is originally from Belle Chasse LA and he went into adoption at the age of 6 months and 28 days old for being "to large to handle"

He then came to Jefferson City MO on october 10 2011 and was abused and went into a new home on September 27 2013. Then he came here on November 15 2013 :) I know his date of birth and he is micro chipped but I have yet to find out how to switch the information.

For the jumping issue, I heard you are supposed to hold up an arm at chest level to 'block' him, then straighten out your arm so he falls off (if his front paws are on your arm).

Sounds like you're doing okay on the other issues...these things just takes time. It took mine 3ish weeks to fully settle into my home.

Thank you I will try this. He only jumps though when he is outside. In the house he will not but as soon as I hit outside he jumps like crazy on my back and chest. When he stands on his back two legs he is taller than me. Its crazy lol.

Sounds like he's had a tough start. We knew nothing of Harrys past as he was abandoned, which is horrid not knowing his DOB etc, we have had to make it up.

I wish you lots of luck and in time I'm sure he will be so grateful to have you as his new family.

We know nothing of Solo's history, just that he was found roaming the streets and not claimed. He settled quickly and it sounds as if Jango has, the role models of your others will help and the fact that he csn sense your love. Well done on your work so far x

I have to ask, are they saying that he's a Sibe or a Malemute? He's way big for a Sibe!

I agree that it sounds like he's been abused somewhere back down the line - and you said he had been - I'd say that he was misused on one of the "training collars" from your description of him not liking you doing anything around his neck - can't say as I really blame him.

How bad are the bites, is he breaking skin or are they just warning bites. (I realize that "just" still hurts!) It sounds as if you're doing everything right - and if he's listening to you as you talk him through the rough spots then you're well on your way to having a good dog ... it's just gonna take time.

As far as his jumping up on you goes - well, you've seen Husky's play; they stand up and box! If you can get a head start on him - see that he's about to jump, step on the leash (and hope he doesn't pull you over!) If he can't jump he'll soon learn that it's not acceptable behaviour.

Sounds to me like you've got a good dog and a good start on having a better dog! Thanks for rescuing him!!

If you can give me the name of the chip company (the the number on the chip on a PM) I can probably give you some pointers on how to get it changed over to you.

I have to ask, are they saying that he's a Sibe or a Malemute? He's way big for a Sibe!

I agree that it sounds like he's been abused somewhere back down the line - and you said he had been - I'd say that he was misused on one of the "training collars" from your description of him not liking you doing anything around his neck - can't say as I really blame him.

How bad are the bites, is he breaking skin or are they just warning bites. (I realize that "just" still hurts!) It sounds as if you're doing everything right - and if he's listening to you as you talk him through the rough spots then you're well on your way to having a good dog ... it's just gonna take time.

As far as his jumping up on you goes - well, you've seen Husky's play; they stand up and box! If you can get a head start on him - see that he's about to jump, step on the leash (and hope he doesn't pull you over!) If he can't jump he'll soon learn that it's not acceptable behaviour.

Sounds to me like you've got a good dog and a good start on having a better dog! Thanks for rescuing him!!

If you can give me the name of the chip company (the the number on the chip on a PM) I can probably give you some pointers on how to get it changed over to you.

See I thought the same!! But his paperwork says siberian husky..either way mix or not I still love him :) and ok thank you very much on the pointers!! And both didn't break the skin..I believe warning bites but the one from the touching the neck bruised...but it's all well worth it..he's a very good dog..I can tell he is just striving for attention.

See I thought the same!! But his paperwork says siberian husky..either way mix or not I still love him :) and ok thank you very much on the pointers!! And both didn't break the skin..I believe warning bites but the one from the touching the neck bruised...but it's all well worth it..he's a very good dog..I can tell he is just striving for attention.

When I adopted mine, all it said was 'Siberian Husky mix'. His breed is still up in the air, some people swear he's a purebred Siberian (just may be 'poorly bred'), and others think he's part Mal (though a very small portion)

Often times shelters guess on the breed, and even if they think its a purebred, they may still put 'siberian husky mix'. Don't ask me why...

He looks like a Sibe/Mal to me...maybe a little more Mal than Sibe.

He is a big boy though...and his bone structure seems to be similar to Suka's (except Jango's chest is more defined and bigger overall, which makes me think he's part Mal).

How much does he weigh, and how tall is he? Just for comparison's sake. 

<snipped>

Often times shelters guess on the breed, and even if they think its a purebred, they may still put 'siberian husky mix'. Don't ask me why...

<snipped>

Oddly it's a question of liability.  (this from a friend who was animal control officer) If they say it's a pure <whatever> and you find it's not then the shelter has obviously falsified the documents. 

Which honestly sounds completely bogus to me - were I, for whatever reason, looking for a pure Sibe, I'd not be going to a shelter.  A shelters dogs come from all over and their history is often nothing more than "I've seen it in the neighborhood for the past week or so."   But I suppose there are people out there who are going to get their panties in a bind if they're told it's a Sibe and then find out it's not - stupid people!

Searra Rae, if you find he's too much to handle, just let me know and I'll meet you half way - I'd take that poor boy off your hands in a heartbeat!  (( yeh, like that's ever gonna happen! <laughing> ))

Oddly it's a question of liability. (this from a friend who was animal control officer) If they say it's a pure and you find it's not then the shelter has obviously falsified the documents.

Which honestly sounds completely bogus to me - were I, for whatever reason, looking for a pure Sibe, I'd not be going to a shelter. A shelters dogs come from all over and their history is often nothing more than "I've seen it in the neighborhood for the past week or so." But I suppose there are people out there who are going to get their panties in a bind if they're told it's a Sibe and then find out it's not - stupid people!

Searra Rae, if you find he's too much to handle, just let me know and I'll meet you half way - I'd take that poor boy off your hands in a heartbeat! (( yeh, like that's ever gonna happen! ))

Lol ya he's destined to be here I feel like :) from what I have contacted from the initial parents on the adoption papers from LA they say they got him from a breeder but not registered...and they surrendered him to the shelter at 6 months 28 days..they were scared of his size..he weighed 53 pounds that day they brought him in...I can't get his height as I can't get near him with a tape measured so Ill try when I can get him to the vet when he's calmed down

Day 4 continued: He slept almost all day yesterday and all night also. His cage door was wide open the whole intire time and he went in there and curled to the back of the cage and slept...we hollered for him 20 times and no response went and checked on him and he opened one eye and went back to sleep...i crawled in his cage with him and rubbed his belly..i finally got him to follow me into the living room and he laid down for a belly rub..hubby also got him up and playing but he didnt go for long he went back to lay down..he also eats food out of my hands but as soon as it touches the ground he will not allow you to touch it again. he thinks you will take it away but im talking assuring him im not.

Day 5: He wants outside like crazy. But as soon as he goes outside he barks to be let back in. I let him in and he goes straight to his cage to sleep. Acting like he does not want to be around anyone. He is beginning to warm up a bit though. He does FABULOUS on walks. He will pull and jump on the lead but as soon as I say stop Jango he listens and puts slack in the lead and nudges my hand to walk faster :) He sure is a darling and has stolen my heart

Doesn't sound like your going to have to work too hard to have him well trained - or he won't to have you well trained.

I like this story, it sound like it's going well! Good on you girl!!

Were you able to get the chip registration straightened out. They'll do most of that over the phone, btw - you just have to follow up with papers.

Well larka and Jango went at it today...it was hard to break them apart..any thing we tried he tried to attack us...he got larka good on both sides of face..made her bleed really good and punctured skin...that's all I could see till we fed them all and noticed blood just pouring from jango is nose...he bit both of us when we were trying to figure out where it was coming from and how bad he was hurt...bleeding has stopped now for both kids..and they seem ok...Jango won't allow us to come near him or he attacks

I think he was trying to play and scared her which set her off..past couple days he's been wanting to play so bad but they have all been scared and larka has always been the one to react...I think it just finally got to her...he's inside now laying down in his cage(door open) ...he seems to be seclusion hisself from us :( just guna give him his time..every time I walk by I pet him to reassure him

Good luck, it will take time before they all adjust, especially him.

Kodiak was my first rescue, and it did take awhile before Nikko warmed up to him.  It broke my heart with Nikko, my spoiled baby, would hide at the top of the stairs and felt threatened in his own home, but after a few weeks things fell into place.  They had their share of fights too, it will happen!