â– If you could live in any time period in history, when would it be?

Dunc

I would be interested in the whole time machine theory and just visit all past places. None in particulary, I would like to see it all. I like technology too much to want to live permantly in any other time period. Plus technology has not only saved my life, literally, but a few other family members.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh cool i'd like to go to the 60's but as a bloke around 20 years old :)

I was 12 in 1960 and 22 in 1970, so I absolutely LOVED the '60's.

I would love to go back to those days (as long as I could take Terry with me) - the music was the best thing - we used to see The Rolling Stones every week before they were famous when they had residences at The Ricky Tick in Windsor, at Eel Pie Island and the Crawdaddy. We saw Pink Floyd live loads of times at the Marquee and the Roundhouse. We saw The Who when they were still called The High Numbers and played in the pubs round Shepherd's Bush. We surfed at Newquay before anyone had heard of surfing, we sang Bob Dylan songs on the beach at St Ives and we got in to the politics of protest, believing (naively) that we might actually make a difference by protesting the war in Vietnam, by going to Paris in May 1968 and loads of CND marches against nuclear weapons. We drove wonderful British motorbikes with the obligatory oil patch beneath and we thought we would never grow old..................

I've always been fascinated by Sir Earnst Shackelton.

There is a brilliant book about Shackleton's last expedition to find the North West Passage. It is a weird kind of fictionalised account with mystical over/undertones and loads of interesting stuff about Inuit lifestyles. It's called The Terror and is by Dan Simmons. I've read it about 4 times now and still want to read it again. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(novel)

There is a brilliant book about Shackleton's last expedition to find the North West Passage. It is a weird kind of fictionalised account with mystical over/undertones and loads of interesting stuff about Inuit lifestyles. It's called The Terror and is by Dan Simmons. I've read it about 4 times now and still want to read it again. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(novel)

You've peaked my interest. I'm going to read. Though, are you sure it has anything to do with Shackelton. Not that it matters, I'm still going to read it. It's just that the accounts of Shackelton I'm familiar with is his Antarctic exploration.

You've peaked my interest. I'm going to read. Though, are you sure it has anything to do with Shackelton. Not that it matters, I'm still going to read it. It's just that the accounts of Shackelton I'm familiar with is his Antarctic exploration.

To be honest, Shackleton dies pretty early on in the book and it concentrates on his 2nd in Command Francis Crozier - a much more interesting and complex character.