Re Homing A Dog Around 12 To 16 Months Old?

Lesley Wolfe

Hello again,

Further questioning, hope this does'nt sound like its interrogation but, information is so important!!!

We are interested in re homing a husk, as previously mentioned,  a husky thats obviously been used to being with another family etc,

From your experiences, do huskies fit into a new house easily and just move on?

I am assuming they do but any experiences of this would be just great.

Eventually a dog will settle down into a new life and become a much loved member of the family but how quickly really depends on the dog in question and what has happened to them previously. A period of adjustment is only normal when going from one environment to another, it will of course take some time but definitely well worth it in the long run. 

Great to hear that you're looking into rescuing a husky and giving them a new chance at a happy life!  :)

I have rehomed both of mine and they have both adapted very easily. We set out the boundaries straight away and gave them lots of space and time to adjust to the new surroundings and our existing dogs and kids but we haven't had any big problems. Much depends on the dogs though. Just take things slowly to give them time to adjust.

I have owned 2 rescue dogs that ended up living permanently with me & fostered many from a few days up to 6 months. Unless the dog in question has separation anxiety, I have found a husky (or other Northern breed dog) will quite happily move in to a new home & settle within a few days. Huskies seem to be more aloof than others, I have found. My own dogs don't seem to have the loyalty that other breeds I have owned have possessed, they will go with anyone as long as they have a bed, food, water & love!

Just remember it is not a total blank canvass like a puppy would be, it will have picked up little habits that you may not agree with etc but that is half the fun of having them & travelling the journey with them.

Hello again,

Further questioning, hope this does'nt sound like its interrogation but, information is so important!!!

We are interested in re homing a husk, as previously mentioned,  a husky thats obviously been used to being with another family etc,

From your experiences, do huskies fit into a new house easily and just move on?

I am assuming they do but any experiences of this would be just great.

Leslie, tain't no one gonna slight you for asking questions ... without a worry, I think we'd all rather have you come here and ask first rather than go out and get one because "It's so cute!" and then have it end up in rescue somewhere when it got too big or too inconvenient.

All my dogs for years (and I'm older then Methuselah!) have been rescues.  In this I don't think it matters what the breed is, once they realize that you're going to take care of them, that you're going to love them and that this is the last time they're going to have to go to a new home - they're going to adapt - and given all the above, they adapt amazingly quickly.  I had a a 9 year old girl who had been owned by one family, she was surrendered, after mom died, and her "father" just wasn't physically able to care for her any more - in less that a week, she knew that this was home and she and my other dogs got on fine.

Link settled in right away - didn't even seem to care about leaving his old owners. Heck, he seemed happy to have someone to play with him! About 3 months after he /really/ settled in, and showed his true personality. wouldn't trade him for the world, and would never go back :D

my first one Nook a rescue took over the minute she walked in from our 10 yr old golden we had. Lola our second which was also a rescue but had been badly abused took her a while to warm up. i feel if u give these dogs enough love and the right amount of disapline. they will fit right in

sent thru smoke signals directly out the top of my teepee!!!

Champ took about a month to really settle in, he was a rescue as well but the state he was in when the rescue got him showed that the had been abused so it was to be expected.  He would sit at the door and cry and cry and cry and it had me upset thinking he didn't want to be with me, but through help from the trainer at the rescue and just being patient with him he now follows me around the house and is happy enough keeping me company inside.  I also discovered that he's afraid of the broom after he tried to 'protect' me from it by lying on the floor between me and it, putting his paws against my legs and pushing backwards until I couldn't sweep anymore.  Once he realized that the broom wasn't going to hurt anyone he stopped trying to protect me from it.  It's different for every dog, I was told by a few husky owners that it takes four months but Champ has settled in much faster than that since he realized that I love him, this is home, and that I'll protect him from anything that tries to hurt him (had an incident where he was attacked by an off-leash dog).

Thank you all again, extremely helpful to have you out there with this wonderful information.

I have another question, obviously huskies are bred to be in a cooler climate but how do they fair in warm weather, I am wondering if the coat also keeps them cool?

Lol x

Thank you all again, extremely helpful to have you out there with this wonderful information.

I have another question, obviously huskies are bred to be in a cooler climate but how do they fair in warm weather, I am wondering if the coat also keeps them cool?

Lol x

I can't speak about warm climates as I am from Scotland, but at the moment my husk,y with the thickest coat ever, is curled up right next to our woodburner and this is her favourite spot.

Lol x

Yes the insulating undercoat does help to keep them cooler in summer.

However please try to provide plenty of shade in the garden.

Walking them in summer time ideally should be done early morning and late evening when it's cooler

Lol x

I'm from deep southwest Texas where the summer temp reach 40c in bright sunshine.  They, my two dogs, do well as long as they have shade when they want it and plenty! of fresh water.  I have one, an Alaskan, who will lay out in the yard and just soak up the sun and the heat!

I have a rescue now who will be 4 years old in February...He loves the pack. Although him and larka got in a scuffle yesterday but they are ok..he's more timid around us humans but it's because he was abused...I've had him 6 days and I would NOT trade him for anything...he's already stole my heart so much. I love him. And his large smile excites me knowing he's happy here

Another thing, if we go for a female is it better to get them neutered.   Well, either male or female infact?   

lol x

Lesley, good question! As Searra Rae say, most rescues will neuter the dogs before they let them go anywhere ... the don't need more than they already have.  Almost all of mine for many years have been rescues and if they aren't neutered when I get them, they are shortly thereafter.  We have too many dogs in rescue now as it is, we don't need more.  Let's face it, there aren't too many of us who really want to do "puppy time" x 7 (or 8 or 9) :)

If the question is about how they would get along with other dogs, those which have been neutered generally will get along better since you don't have the hormones flaring up - and always, it seems, at the very worst times.