2 Yrl Old Sibes Not Eating

ironkilla88

Hello , name is Jordan and im new to the forum. I own 2 Siberian Huskies and they are very picky eaters. Lately they havent been eating properly, I have taken them to the vet to do a full check up, vaccines, blood work and all, and the results are outstanding other then the boy has belly worms. I have been given them the medication , yet they are not eating properly. They're very hyper and look healthy , although the boy is a bit skinny. What do you guys recommend ? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Hey Jordan and welcome to the forum ...  ( and if you don't mind, since we're scattered all across the world, it really help at times if you let us know where you're from.  Food, medication recommendations, etc tend to be "locally" oriented )

If you'd said that one of your kids wasn't eating then I'd have said that's normal.  For both of them, well, that's a bit of a different take. 

Obvious questions:  How much are they eating in total and how often? Do they share the same bowl? ( that makes it hard to tell who's getting what. )  Are you aware that Husky's normally look skinny to the unknowing - especially when they're in good health? How long has this been going on?

Husky's, as I presume you know, typically do not need anywhere near as much food as the bag (and often the vet) will suggest. Because of their old breeding, they utilize their intake much better than most breeds of dogs.

Welcome to the pack. Picky eaters can be a challenge. Some will recommend you leave their food down for ten minutes or so. If they don't eat, pick it up until the next meal time. But I am going to ask a few questions first.

What food are you providing? If it's a kibble or wet food, brand is what I am asking.

How many times a day do you feed?

How much per meal do you feed?

Quite a few people feed Taste of the Wild. It is a grain free kibble. There are formulas in bison, salmon, fowl, and lamb. There may be one more. The nice thing about TOTW, is for many Huskies, you can rotate the formulas without a transition period, so the dogs do not get tired of the same old food.

After you respond with the answers, I can give you an approach to feeding. Not saying it is picky eater proof, but it may give you a hand up.

I am providing them Wellness this time, I have tried blue buffalo and many others. They have always been like this, the thing is the boy is a bit skinny he is 42 lbs and the the girl is almost 50 lbs. I feed them once a day around 7 pm. By the way I live in Miami, Fl. They always nibble on the kibbles but never really finish or even each much. For a very long time I fed them boiled chicken , but I have read is not good to feed them that everyday for it doesn't have all the nutrients they need. If have more questions feel free to ask, and thanks for the response.

That's how they have always looked, they boy might of lost some weight recently since thw femaly was in heat and he was going bananas lol. But I doubt he lost much, they have always been this weight I just wanted to make sure they were ok, theyre very peaky eaters but they are very active , they are never down or look sick. Thanks for all the help. Also what food do you guys recommed ? Price doesn't mater, I want to feed them the best. Should I change back to boil chicken everday ? And the occasional bone (uncooked).

And there has not been any change in weather condition here.

The one you call "the brown one" is a real handsome red Husky (or at least that's what all of us call them) the other one -- is that an aghoutti <sp>??

Now that I'm done criticizing you ... sorry.  The one thing I didn't see there is how much you're feeding them daily.

To give you a comparison, Avalanche gets free fed since he only nibbles at his food when he wants it and eats very little; Sasha gets one cup in the morning and one cup in the afternoon since we're trying to get her weight down some (she may get cut back to about 3/4 cup twice a day...).

Your red looks good, he's slim but I use the word svelte when referring to them since they tend to look best when they appear "just underweight" ( in others opinions ); it's really hard to tell about the other one, I'd say a bit overweight but with all that hair <laughing, sorry> it's really hard to tell.

(( I missed, but a reread shows you did give us name ... oops ))

The one you call "the brown one" is a real handsome red Husky (or at least that's what all of us call them) the other one -- is that an aghoutti ??

Now that I'm done criticizing you ... sorry. The one thing I didn't see there is how much you're feeding them daily.

To give you a comparison, Avalanche gets free fed since he only nibbles at his food when he wants it and eats very little; Sasha gets one cup in the morning and one cup in the afternoon since we're trying to get her weight down some (she may get cut back to about 3/4 cup twice a day...).

Your red looks good, he's slim but I use the word svelte when referring to them since they tend to look best when they appear "just underweight" ( in others opinions ); it's really hard to tell about the other one, I'd say a bit overweight but with all that hair it's really hard to tell.

(( I missed, but a reread shows you did give us name ... oops ))

Its alright no offense taken lol. Allright I will call her (female)red from now on , well to describe her I mean lol. As for the other name you gave for the black male I dont know what it means, ill get online and google it. As for free feesing I cant do that because I have a jack Russell terrier who will eat till he blows up. I feed them a cup a day at night but they nibble on it and that is it. By the way theyre both pure bred Siberian Huskies.

If you are feeding Wellness, that is a very good food. I would simply offer the food during the normal schedule. If they eat fine, if not, pick it up after ten minutes or so, and give it to them the next time food is scheduled. Siberians are not going to allow themselves to starve. When they get hungry, they eat. If they are not hungry, they may pick and walk off. As far as structure goes, both of yours look fine. I would stay on the same routine. If you want, give them some chicken once a week. Otherwise, I would not worry too much.

Thank you guys, all of you have been very helpful and quick with it. I really appreciate everything, thanks.Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

You are very welcome. Any time.

Welcome to Husky Owners.They are 2 good looking, pampered pooches. I wouldn't be too worried. Whatever your doing you seem to be doing right. As the others have said, huskies will not let themselves starve. As long as they are full of energy and drinking plenty of water they are usually fine.

Gary.