Husky + Rope Toy = Large Vet Bill

marsred

Hi all, not sure if This is the right place for this thread or not, but here goes. Ela-yona was her normal self Sunday until early evening. Then she became lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink. We thought she had eaten something when we were walking at the beach in the morning. Monday there was no improvement and now she wouldn't get up or let us know she needed outside. Off to the vet we go. A series of x-rays showed she had a blockage in her small intestine. The good news was the blockage was moved without surgery. The bad news was the blockage was caused by her shredding the frayed ends of her rope toys and swallowing them. We didn't do well with our baby away overnite but, she was in good hands. By the time she came home Tuesday evening all of her toys had the ends trimmed. The question is are they ok like this? We know we need to watch when they become worn. But, what else should we be aware of? She is much better now and we would like her to stay this way so any suggestions would be helpful.

Alanpost-10883-0-12491200-1385095603_thumb.j

Glad Ela-Yona is now ok

We had rope toys too.

When I noticed Echo my White German Shepherd having trouble pooping.

I noticed she had strings hanging out of her butthole.

On went he rubber gloves to help pull it out.

Turned out to be the same, shredded rope toy.

I binned the rope toys.

Better safe than sorry

Mine have rope toys as we play tug with them  but only ever when they are supervised and they get taken away as soon as we are done playing tug they are left for them to chew xx

Because mine will eat any/everything, she only gets toys while monitored. We've already had exploratory surgery once (not from a toy, but could have just as easily have been). And she gets no rope toys, and nothing that she can chew a part off of. 

Thanks for the responses. At first we thought it was something she vacuumed up on one of her walks as she tries to eat everything on the ground. Trying to keep that from happening is hard enough, but to know we allowed this hurts. She loves her toys and will tug and fetch till she is worn out. She has a few hard rubber toys but they need many washes before she will play with them (hates the smell). Just glad she is ok. Sure is a large learning curve.

Alan

so glad to see she is doing well now, it is such an upset when they're not well for any reason.

Kaviq has rope & fleece tug toys, but he tends to spit out any stray strands he pulls out & he doesn't bother with them unless one of us is playing tug with him so he is not bad with them, but we do have the kong rubber toys too (one of which he started ripping apart & swallowing small chunks which got pooped out, but I know that could have caused a blockage so it went in the bin!)

But it sounds like you have a chewer & swallower, so big chunky hard-rubber toys will be better

Aren't these Huskies little devils sometimes. Good that you took her to the vet when you did. I would pitch the rope toys. Better safe than sorry.