Question....

Elyse

I would say not neccessarily and definitely i wouldnt reccomend getting a second dog to treat sa. It could help with boredom but SA is a different ball game and the best thing is the old fashioned tried and tested way of getting them used to being left for short periods of time and building up gradually. It's something that takes time.

Bear's separation angst was still as bad when ice came along. It didn't help at all. Bear's emotional attachment was to her humans and it was us being apart from her that sent her loopy. She had the company of two other dogs but what she truely craved was her humans.

Two dogs with SA = probably bad.

In my experience: for my boy with SA, being around extremely calm dogs while I left really helped. He now goes to my in-law's house while I work and he has absolutely no problem being in a crate at their house. My mother-in-law is semi retired but still leaves the house during the day and he's fine. He is actually excited to go to his crate there. It probably helps that he gets along well with her 4 dogs too. The old 14yr old stays loose in the same room his crate is in.

He has been a lot better at home now because of this. He can still have his moments, but they are fairly rare now. After a few minutes he realizes the world is not ending and he'll settle in.

Thing is, if her 4 dogs weren't so calm and content while alone, I don't know if it would be the same. If you're thinking of adopting another dog who may or may not end up with SA or crating issues, it would be a gamble.

Dana has SA and I suspect Wodak from having it as well. However, Glala has not. So when they are together with each other, they couldn't care any less about being 'alone' for many hours with each other. It's when you take one or two of them for a walk it becomes a problem again  :rolleyes: