Angry Dog At Vet And Looking For Advice.

Bambi92

Hi all

As some will know Sasha is scared of the vets she refuses to walk in the door unless she's having a really good day, she tries to run for the door every time it opens, she will sit with her with her tail between her legs shaking and when she goes into the room to see the vet she will go to the corner and pace back and fourth watching the vets every move I feel so sorry for her she was doing so well to she would go in without a problem the vet was still a problem but she let him near her this time stuffed it all up :(

On the way out Sasha just wanted to head for the door I had to pay for her meds she stood near my feet then seen the dog in the corner she was there with her newborn pups (which is why I'm guessing she did what she did) Sasha slowly walked towards her this dog sniffed Sasha and wagged her tail then 5secs later she went into attack mode and almost bit Sashas face her owner pushed her down to the ground and held her down around the neck which made her more angry and she went for the 2dogs coming in the door as soon as he released his grip of her neck. I didn't trust the dog so I carried Sasha out she was shaking and scared she couldn't get in the car quick enough (she doesn't like to jump in our 4wd because it's raised 4inch and she's lazy lol).

I hope this hasn't scared her even more about the vet I try to avoid the vet unless she really needs to go. On her card is a *WATCH* stamp because she has biten the vet once if she needs to be examined for anything she will need to be knocked out for it so she isn't that highly stressed. The vet said its clear to him that she has been abused with the way she acts and backs into the corner.

I wish there was a way to help her be less stressed at the vet without having to get her a sedative before we go (vet said she can have it if need be) does anyone else have this problem? Or is there anyway to at least calm her down at the vet? Everything I try doesn't work I've even tried treats but she isn't interested in treats unless she's at home.

Oh, sorry to hear that it is so stressy for you both. My vet used to always give my dog little liver treats during the consult - does you vet do this or could you suggest it next time? I suppose you could arm yourself with some treats next time if the vet doesn't do this.

Does she get really nervous out at other places? If it's just the vets, see if they wouldn't mind (and I don't see why they would) you making lots of random visits for no reason - bring her treats and do some easy tricks she knows, or have a favorite toy and see if she'll play. If it's bad enough to where she knows exactly where she is in the parking lot, try it out there first. Then move closer to the door and hopefully inside the door at some point. Try to keep yourself calm and happy too! Nervous/upset owners usually end up making the dogs worse :( On that note, some people who know they get emotional have a lot of success bringing the dog in the exam room and walking out while the vet does their stuff.

The idea is for her to realize bad things don't happen every time she goes there. Most animals only show up to the vets to get poked and prodded uncomfortably, or when they're really not feeling well.. it's not a wonder why they hate the place lol. It may help to give her a dose of happy pills for the first few trips, just to take the initial edge off and make it a bit easier to work with (ask your vet first though!)

And lastly, I hope your vet is close to you otherwise this would be tough to try :S But it's an idea :)

I think I've said this before, but ... when I lived over in Houston, I had an excellent vet, an older gentleman who worked with big and small animals.  When he was the primary caregiver, the dogs loved to go see him - even if they did get poked and prodded.  He hired a new vet, just out of school and I noticed that the dogs weren't quite so happy with him - and then one time while I sat in on an exam I realized he was "playing the alpha" (okay, not really, but you get the idea) no matter what he was doing the dog had to submit.

A good vet will work with a dog and it's owners when the dog is hesitant (or downright scared) rather than forcing the issue and making it worse.

In my case, I told Hestor (the older vet) that I didn't want the young one working with my dogs - period.  For the last couple of years I was over there, I was always able to schedule visits either with Hestor or one of the vet techs who was excellent with the dogs. But I did have to explain what the problems were.

Even though Sasha has bitten the vet we have now (stupid move - he reached into my jeep and grabbed her collar to guide her to where he could examine her and she objected) the relationship we all have is good.  The last trip in for shot he didn't even muzzle her but again it took working with her and him to build the confidence level (and he admits he does not like Husky's).

Story time over ... Laura, what I'm suggesting is two fold.  The first is to make sure that the people who deal with your dog do it respectfully.  I realize that a vet clinic is a business - but treating animals like a car (into service, do it and get them out) does not impress me nor is it a good way to work with an animal, it makes them more nervous than the visit already will. 

The second was expressed quite well by Jamie, work on getting to the point that the visits to the vet are, if not enjoyable, then at least not traumatic,

Last comment, if your vets not willing to work with you to make vet visits less traumatic, if you can, find another vet.

Vets can be stressful. Poor Sasha, hope she is ok. also poor other dog, how frightening for her trying to defend her precious pups from all these dogs. My 2 are freaks of nature as they get excited when I take them to the vet (cant do both on my own as they too excited lol) but have had a frightened dog in the past (non husky) who would try to pick a fight with any dog willing to oblige! The way we dealt with it was to give constant reassurance and cuddles. Our vets are happy for you to pop dog in car before you pay, would that be possible in future?

our vet lets you take the dog in as often as you like just for little visits -( not even seeing the vet) just getting used to the environment. Just keep it short and that way if you are just going for a visit you won't be worried about her being naughty and she won't be picking up any vibes from you either.(not suggesting it is in any way your fault but it is easy to worry if you are afraid she might bite again). I don't know if this is possible but it has worked for ours after several visits for anal gland problems - she was understandably very reluctant to go near the place.

Champ despises the vet, he gets very stressed the moment we walk in the door and clearly has had some bad experiences in the past by the way he reacts.  What I've found works for him is to keep him between me and the wall when we're in the waiting room, he seems to feel more secure with me between him and the other animals, but I don't pet him or anything, he just sits quietly gets praise and treats even though I can tell by the way he's acting that he's stressing out.  In the exam room I've found that having a pile of treats and sitting on the floor with him helps him tolerate being examined a little better, if he ever has to have anything major done like blood work though they'll have to muzzle him as he took a warning snap at a vet tech once while getting one of his vaccinations.  What the others have suggested is good to start with, just find what works for Sasha and your vet visits will be much easier. Also, what Al said about making sure your vet works with your dog is really good advice, the vet we go to never forces anything with Champ and always talks in a reassuring voice to him and gives him treats to try and make him feel better, he also gets loved on by all the vet techs so he's slowly warming up to the experience. Good luck.

I'm fostering a dog at the moment that is quite over-weight. I've had her for around 5 weeks, and every Friday we pop round the vets to weigh her in to see how the diet is going. No vet, just the environment, on the scales, then out. She was OK with the vet, as are all of mine, but if not, this might help settle the dog into visits to the vet. I'm lucky in that my vet is only 10 minutes walk from home.

Thanks for all the advice unlike most huskies I've seen Sasha isn't food or toy orientated she doesn't really play unless she's with Dozer and won't take treats outside of the house unless Dozer is with her its like he is her safety it's been like that from day one (which is why after trying to find him a home for months I decided to keep him) I've taken them both to the vet before together and Sasha was a bit calmer until the vet went near her then she tried to sit up Dozers bum but in saying that it wasn't the normal vet we see because he was on holidays. There's 4 vets there (not being racist with this next section not sure how to put it any other way) there is an Asian vet, a I think she's European by her ascent, and two Aussies. For some reason Sasha doesn't like the Asian at all he's the one she bit but in saying that Sasha will watch and growl/bark at any Asians she sees by her reaction I'm assuming she's been hurt at some stage. The European lady hates Sasha she sees her and cringes Sasha has only seen her once and I won't see her again because she was scared of Sasha but she hadn't done anything wrong Sasha was just scared. The other two I like they haven't been there for years and we have always seen them with my families previous dogs our normal vet, Rob, is amazing he will try and work with her and even though Sasha is that stressed and scared he is calm and talks to her trying to get her comfortable (he tried giving her liver treats she looked at me as if she was asking if she could take it she took it put it on the ground and walked behind me) I tried the thunder coat it calmed her again until the vet went near her.

At the moment I can't afford to make the half hour drive to the vet a few times a month once we've got more money I will try this.

She acts this way at the vets, out in crowded places, when people she doesn't know come near her and try to touch her (if I'm out she normal has her muzzle on for about 15-20mins until she calms down then I'm able to take it off but I'll keep her close to me when people come near us) if she's out on her own she is very wary and will watch everything like she's waiting for something bad to happen but if she's out with Dozer you wouldn't think she was the same dog Sasha is calm happy and willing to let certain people touch her as long as she sniffs them first and they only touch her back.

By certain people I mean (this is damn good example of the beautiful nature dog she could be if she wasn't so scared) we took her to the park one day I went to the bathroom and she was standing outside with my OH and I heard her get excited and my OH talking to someone I come out and she was all over the owner of the cafe that was there I asked if he approached her and they all looked at me like what are you talking about, and said no she insisted on going over to him and made him play with her I was so proud of her and she was so happy Sasha has done this twice to people she doesn't know I don't know why she did it but I wish she could be that girl all the time she would be so much happier with herself.

Sorry for such a long reply bad habit I have when talking about dogs lol

So, my first reaction is not a good one ... I've been looking at anti-anxiety drugs and Fearfuldogs.com has this to say about one of the more common ones,  Promace:

Research has shown these drugs functions primarily as chemical restraints without affecting the animal’s emotional behavior. While under the effect of Ace, the animal still has a very strong fear, anxiety, avoidance or arousal response, but it does not physically display these reactions and is less able to react. The dog or cat appears calm and relaxed but mentally is lucid and still having an intense emotional reaction to its surroundings. Ace is a dissociative agent and prevents the patient from understanding his environment in a logical manner. So, the actual fear level of the animal is increased. Compounding the situation, the animal is being restrained and it makes a negative association with the entire experience.

Now I've got a bad habit of trying to see things from the dogs point of view and this is not what I would want to be going through if I were a dog!  ( I have a similar story about a visit to the dentist, but I'll spare you all. )

I have to agree that she sounds like she's been abused - the retreating into the corner indicates fight or flight and she can't flee ... bad gig!  There's nothing racist when a dog doesn't relate to someone because of characteristics that, apparently, remind them of their abuser.  It's amazing how many dogs in the south cannot stand being around Blacks or Hispanics. Kala, my abused lab took forever to warm up to a great black gentle man (spelling intentional) with whom I worked.

As in my case, I'd have a talk with the vet, explain the reaction that she has to the two asst vets and request that she be treated by someone else - hopefully until she becomes comfortable enough to have a "normal" vet visit.

So, my first reaction is not a good one ... I've been looking at anti-anxiety drugs and Fearfuldogs.com has this to say about one of the more common ones,  Promace:

Now I've got a bad habit of trying to see things from the dogs point of view and this is not what I would want to be going through if I were a dog!  ( I have a similar story about a visit to the dentist, but I'll spare you all. )

I have to agree that she sounds like she's been abused - the retreating into the corner indicates fight or flight and she can't flee ... bad gig!  There's nothing racist when a dog doesn't relate to someone because of characteristics that, apparently, remind them of their abuser.  It's amazing how many dogs in the south cannot stand being around Blacks or Hispanics. Kala, my abused lab took forever to warm up to a great black gentle man (spelling intentional) with whom I worked.

As in my case, I'd have a talk with the vet, explain the reaction that she has to the two asst vets and request that she be treated by someone else - hopefully until she becomes comfortable enough to have a "normal" vet visit.

Wow I didn't think it would have that sort of effect on the dog I couldn't put her through that its bad enough seeing her react the way she does but knowing her mind would be doing what mine does on a daily bases I can't do that to her. Thanks for that info :)

I asked the vet the other day when I took her if there's anything I can do other then the sedative to help her be more calm he said that in,his experience there isn't much you can do with the way she acts he said she is one of the worst cases of anxiety he has seen which is why I asked here to see if anyone has had the same problem.

I am sorry this is so stressful, there are some natural calming remedies available;

http://www.k9pro.com.au/pet-arc-calm.html

http://www.greenpet.com.au/products/FLOWER-ESSENCE-FEAR-AND-TERROR-15ML.html

PS. I am really happy that you are keeping Dozer

I think someone mentioned those before for something else might have to give it a shot willing to try anything to help my poor baby

I couldn't give him away not only would it break my heart to see him go Sasha wouldn't cope without him I don't think he's was gone for a week having a sleep over at cousin in laws house and Sasha just moped around looking for him all day