New Owner And New To The Forum!

mikeluna_22

Here is the new addition to my family. We adopted him last week. He is about 1 yr old and he is the best dog we have ever had. He is obedient, does not run away, absolutely loves me, my 1 yr old son and wife. He does not like our mini pincher though. He also loves to howl when he is outside, mostly at other dogs or when coyotes start howling. He is an amazing dog. Also we are from Chama, NM up in the mountains. Right where he needs to be with plenty of room to play. His name is Hunter.

post-11130-0-79538300-1386173489_thumb.j

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Since Carlsbad's only a ways up the road from me (270 miles) I had to check and see where Chama is - why didn't you say you were almost in Colorado!! << laughing! >>

Some day, someone's going to move in close enough that it's not a 3 day trip to go for a Husky play date!

Cute little tyke you have there ... you're in for a world of fun and challenges if you never had a Husky before (and maybe even if you have!) You have picked up that it's a good idea to keep them on a lead of some kind, haven't you. They may "come" nicely as a pup, but as soon as they start to hit the teen years all bets are off. I had an exception who came every time I called - until one time she didn't - mine are now on lead (30 and 100') all the time!

Thank you for the welcome! Yeah I can literally see Colorado from my front porch! I'm a first time owner, but did TONS of research first. When we went to adopt him, FIRST thing I did was stop and buy a holster, a couple of leads. And a heavy-duty collar. As of right now he listens to every command. Although I would not dare to let him off the leash or out of our yard. Im sorta wondering why he is so calm now. He loves to lounge around the house. He will sit by the door and wiggle his tail when he wants to go for a walk or run. He is still young and I am sure it will change as he gets a little older. I am more than ready for it though! I absolutely love him and I wish I would have become a husky owner sooner! He will absolutley keep us an active family!

Michael (Mike?) I'm guessing that what you're seeing as Hunter "picking on" your Pinscher is really a desire to play. If you haven't seen it then the first time you see two Husky's play, you'll swear that they're out to kill each other - and when when they're not playing rough. It sounds bad, it looks bad and then you realize with all the rough-housing, there's no blood!

Two Husky's can wear out most other dogs and they will wear out most people - just by watching them play, it's non-stop rough-housing - or maybe it just seems like it.

Question - does Hunter ever play bow (that's with his back end up in the air and his nose almost on the ground) toward your Pinscher? If he does, then that a dog invitation to play.

Would someone point us toward a vid of two Husky's having fun?

Michael (Mike?) I'm guessing that what you're seeing as Hunter "picking on" your Pinscher is really a desire to play. If you haven't seen it then the first time you see two Husky's play, you'll swear that they're out to kill each other - and when when they're not playing rough. It sounds bad, it looks bad and then you realize with all the rough-housing, there's no blood!

Two Husky's can wear out most other dogs and they will wear out most people - just by watching them play, it's non-stop rough-housing - or maybe it just seems like it.

Question - does Hunter ever play bow (that's with his back end up in the air and his nose almost on the ground) toward your Pinscher? If he does, then that a dog invitation to play.

Would someone point us toward a vid of two Husky's having fun?

Yeah I agree that Hunter is probably playing with her. The pinscher just gets scared and cries so she makes it seem worse than what it is out of fear. And yes, come to think of it, Hunter does do the bow thing to her. She is taking it too serious though. And yes my name is Michael but I usually go by Mike

Something I've had to do here ... I have two dogs with entirely different temperaments. Avalanche would play all day long and he will get to the point that Sasha will snap at him (she's just saying "I've had enough, go away!") and Sasha is about as laid back as they come.

If he doesn't back off then, then it's my turn to step in with "Enough!" which translates to "Stop it, you're now getting on *my* nerves!" or "Avalanche, easy" translate to the play's okay, but lighten up a little (you're destroying the house!)

I don't know how you're handling it but trying to let Hunter know that what he's doing isn't wrong but is stressing out the Pinscher (she has a name, have I missed it?) might help both of them relax a little in their play routines. Also, if you can convince the little one (the pinscher) that Hunter really isn't out to eat her up will help. I'm surprised that she hasn't snapped at him - normally one dog will correct another dog when they're being rude (and Hunter, by trying to force play, is being rude).