A Proper Walking Harness?

daltor

this question has been asked many times - many husky harnesses on the market although "looking good" do not offer adequate protection/padding around the breast & chest/garth pulling area - my wife bought our girls "ruffware" but i am not empressed - can anyone advise regarding a really good harness?

Our Kalie uses the Julius K9, size "0". Previous to that she had the Canadog "shorty" harness but I had to modify that one to fit her correctly. The K9 fits her perfectly as you can adjust it with the girth strap & Velcro strap across the chest. I also went with the chest pad addition which supports her nicely and this harness never moves or stretches. It acts like a thundershirt (sort of) and has a calming effect, so less leash aggression. And it looks good on her too. About $50 USD for the whole kit.

Indi dog do a good range. Personally, I've still got my wydwl harnesses and I love them. The only problem is that its an American company and finding a uk stockist can be tricky. But indi dog do their own version of it I believe?

on the julius k9 site i see two types i'm interested in - (1) idc powerharness & (2) idc belt harness - the belt harness seems to offer more freedom so i'm inclined to go with it with the additional option of a chest pad - any input on the two types?

0000688_size-1-girth-66-85cm_125.jpeg  and    0000667_idc-belt-harness-size-2-black-16

• 2 weeks later...

received the girls  IDC julius K9 Powerharnesses + chest pads.

i also ordered the velcro custom name lables but they are on back order as they have to be printed - i have not used the chest pads as i presently consider them superfulous due to the excellent design of the basic harness that seems to have relieved a lot of stress around the chest area,

Have you walked them yet with their new harnesses? If so, did it make any difference? and what equipment did you use before?

I walk mine with just a lead and collar, though Harry does have a walking harness where the lead attaches at the front on his chest, but it's a pretty cheap version and doesn't fit him all that well. So I only use it if we are going to be walking in public, where I really need to keep him under control.

Have you walked them yet with their new harnesses? If so, did it make any difference? and what equipment did you use before?

I walk mine with just a lead and collar, though Harry does have a walking harness where the lead attaches at the front on his chest, but it's a pretty cheap version and doesn't fit him all that well. So I only use it if we are going to be walking in public, where I really need to keep him under control.

on nova our little klee kai (15kg) - ezydog harness & lead, on akira (28kg) ruftware harness & lead,

they are both heavy duty pullers but only when together - they used to "rasp" continually on the pull but that has magically disappeared due to the low position of the broad chest band on the k9 - also its a doddle to fit - just over the head & click on the belly strap,

was  unhappy with the ruffware lead (the split in the middle hook type) for various reasons & ezydog did not have what i wanted regarding lenght etc - i ordered 2 custom single leads and a twin from sass  the price was very reasonable,

btw akira will not wear a collar at any cost - she just lies down on her side  & won't budge until its removed - with the harness, lift it or even just mention it & she's away like a shot - nova was fine at the start but now she joins in for all the harness time fun.

Sounds like an improvement :)

My two pull heavy when out together, the little one wheezing and rasping to keep up with his brother. I want to be able to walk them together on my own at some point, I covered 8 miles today with the two dogs so am desperate to get them on walks together and cut down my mileage :)