Angry With The Other Half!

Chula

I'm just gonna vent for a minute.

My other half usually works short hours in the winter and I work longer hours. That swaps in the summer. So in the summer I am the one who comes home to let the dog out. I expect him to do that in the winter.

Tonight I told him I'd have to work late. He decided to go drop a mate off and have a few drinks. When I asked him about poor Chula he said "she will have to wait". :( She had been in the crate for seven hours at that point.

I ended up leaving work to let her out, but I haven't told him. I'm curious how long he would allow her to be locked up so he can go have fun. I know he deserves a chance to have fun but did he HAVE to choose a night I was supposed to work late? Now I have to go into the office tomorrow.

That can definitely be frustrating, I can understand COMPLETELY how you're feeling. My husband left one of my dogs in the crate the other night even AFTER he had gotten home. She wasn't let out until I got home and I was furious to say the least. All you can do is explain how you're feeling. I did, and it helped! Good luck!

Sometimes he gets home and sits in his car for a half hour smoking and playing on his phone even though he knows she's in her crate. I don't understand it. At least go let her in the yard and then go back and sit in your car. Poor thing.

Sometimes he gets home and sits in his car for a half hour smoking and playing on his phone even though he knows she's in her crate. I don't understand it. At least go let her in the yard and then go back and sit in your car. Poor thing.

Poor Chula! Men can be clueless :angry::blink:

Sorry I would be pissed!  I would NEVER sit and let my dogs in the crate when I got home....and if I knew my dogs would be in the crate for too long I just wouldn't go out after work!  Unless I know someone is going to be home I never have made plans after work...I always thing of the dogs first!   I even tell my friends that if you want me to go out on a weeknight or Friday night you can forget about it since they are crated during the day!  I will ONLY go out on Saturday when I know they have been out of their crate and exercised before I leave!

Luckily in the last few months she's been in her crate less than four hours a day on average during the week so she's had lots of love and attention. I know one day won't kill her, and I know he works hard - but it's like it doesn't occur to him that she needs out. He cares about her, but he is just kind of irresponsible about time.

I think if you have huskies, you have to arrange your life around the dogs. If I want a lie in, I will still get up around my normal time, walk the dogs for an hour, feed them, then have the lie in. Mind you, it happens rarely. We're lucky from the point of view that it is rare the dogs are alone for more than a couple of hours, and we never crate.

My life has definitely been rearranged. I'm up at 6 am every morning (including weekends unfortunately!) for couch cuddles and feeding time and then an hour walk. We play fetch or chase in the yard. And every moment in the evening is shared with the dog too. He plays with her in the yard after work and takes her on a thirty minute walk before bed. So she has a lot of daily interaction and activity even though she's crated while we work.

We are lucky in that our work schedules are opposite most of the year so the overlapping time we are both out of the house is usually 5-6 hours. She's a happy, loving dog that loves everyone and everything so I'm not worried about the way we are doing things, but sometimes he forgets his responsibilities.

:( gee... 

shoot me, but I'm gonna try a different approach here... Emily you know when one owns a husky they have to rearrange their life around them furry devils. Sometimes it gets tiring, and maybe tonight your OH is just tired. I know it's not fair for Chula, but at least it's not like he does this every day... 

Oh I know. I was upset and annoyed last night. And I didn't give him too hard a time, just that it would be better if he could choose a night I don't have to work late. Still a bit annoyed that I have to go to work today as a result.

I'm sorry for Chula, that is very selfish of him. There are days when I just don't want to get up and take the dogs out but they rely on us for everything, so have to.

We expect them to be well behaved, have respect for us and be good companions, it has to work both ways!

We made the decision for me to give up work to look after our dogs, so I'm in a fortunate position to see to their needs, however if I need to go out or have some 'me' time, I have to make sure the dogs are sorted first.

This may sound harsh but I think it's bordering on cruel.