Curious To Know

Clare70

As some will know we have a 5 month puppy we rescued 4 weeks ago. He's settling in well and a great companion for our 2 year old.

In the first few days we had lots of toilet accidents, though now they seem to be on average once a day. I am beginning to read his body language, ie when he needs to go out, with him occasionally going and sitting by the door, I take him out regardless of his needs, every 1.5-2 hours. So I'm interested to know how old your pups were when they 'told' you and when they seemed to be able to control their bladders better. He goes through the night, sleeping for about 8 hours without needing to go.

I know Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't want to rush him, just curious :)

What about them really telling you they need to go?

Ours:

8 year old - nope, no notification (but always happy to go out and squeeze out a pee for us!)

6 year old - nope, no notification (but always happy to go out and squeeze out a pee for us!)

5 year old - nope, no notification (usually not keen to go out even if she needs to pee!)

1 year old - nope, no notification (when we adopted her we couldn't raise our voices as otherwise she pee'd - now fine. Still no notification but will always pee if let out)

Worth noting though that we never get accidents

my boy never really tells me when he needs to go  :huh: I just look at the clock and think "hmm... isn't it time for Dime to go pee pee?". Then I'd walk him and he pees on the walk. If it's raining heavily and we can't go for a walk I take him out to the garden at his usual walking time

Chula has been pretty good about overnights since she was about 4 months old. She only ever had accidents in her crate when she had been dewormed and the meds make her explosive. Poor thing.

Then we moved when she was around 5 months old, and I put her crate in a room I thought she would enjoy because it had a lot of windows and a ceiling fan that would help keep her cool. Well she hated it. She peed in her crate over and over again, I tried everything I could think of... finally I moved her crate into the dining room next to the kitchen table where it had been in our previous home. She miraculously stopped peeing in her crate.

She never had accidents in the house as long as we had hardwood floors. She would pee on carpet or rugs, so from about 10 weeks to 7 months we had no soft surfaces in the house. She does fine now, it seems. She doesn't really have a signal, although when she really has to poo she will often come jump on me and start mouthing at my hand. I just make sure to let her out every couple hours. I think because she's crate trained, she's taught herself to hold it until she is let outside.

All of mine have different ways of notifying us if they have to go outside:

Nikko will walk up to the door and scratch at it with his paw.  If you don't let him out he will do it again, and again, each time a littler louder.  I have waited him out and if you don't let him out he will come get you and nudge you and when he has your attention it's back to the door for another scratch.

Yukon will go up to the door and jump on it.   He will continue to that until you let him out.  If you don't he will just lay beside the door until you let him out.

And Kodiak, well he just walks to the door and waits...no jumping, no barking, no scratching.  He will just stand there!  However, if he is outside and wants in, first he will yelp, and after that he will jump on the door and end up turning the handle and opening the door himself :)

I had the first 2 as puppies and it took a LONG time to potty train Nikko, about 2-3 months.  Although he lasted mostly through the night he would have accidents at home, but never in the crate.  He was in the crate at 9 weeks old for up to 4 1/2 - 5 hours at a time and only peed his crate when he had a UTI.  Same thing with Yukon, although he was potty trained in a few weeks. 

I know it's still early days but the past 2 have been accident free :)

I'm not usually one for time schedules and routine, but it seems to be helping.  Harry, whilst being a lot older is a totally different dog, obviously. He will whine and pace about when he needs to go, though he whines about most things, it's a sort of a cry, he's such a baby :)

Snowy is now beginning to sit at the door more if he needs to go, though still taking him out every 2 hours, after eating and sleeping. Last night my son took him out at 9.50pm, then he settled down, usually I take him out just before I go to bed but last night I was so tired (combined dog walks 12 km) that I left him to sleep. Got up at 6am and he really told me he needed to go, Good boy! :)