What's In A Name?

mydiamond

We've had loads of threads about the story behind our doggies' names, so this time I wanna know what's behind your name :) I'll start:

I was actually born as Xiao Li Hui. Why? In case you don't know yet, I'm 100% Chinese. My grandparents, from both sides, are Chinese citizens migrating to Indonesia because of the war. The "li" in my name means "beautiful", while "hui" means "intelligent". Xiao is just a surname so idk what it means but I can assure you it's NOT written this way -> å° (this one means small)  :lol: I'm 168 cm tall, not small at all for an Asian  :P

When I was born there was this huge racial issue between native Indonesians and Chinese migrants, so the government tried to eliminate obvious differences between the two races by asking every Chinese to make up an "Indonesian" name that resembles their Chinese name at least by one syllable. My parents said "Li Hui" sounds like "Livi", so they added an "O" and an "A" and voila! I became Olivia  :lol: pretty sure it's a European name LOL how is that accepted as an "Indonesian name", I'll never know...

But my mom wants all her children's names to start with the letter "A" so Olivia became my middle name. My first name is not really that well-thought though... She just found it on this soap opera she was watching while she was pregnant :shrug: to this day, I'm still "amanda" to friends and "olivia" to family. You all are like a family already so that's why I'm Olivia to you guys  :)

found this on a website lol 

Nicola The name Nicola is a baby girl name.

French Meaning: 
The name Nicola is a French baby name. In French the meaning of the name Nicola is: People's victory.

Greek Meaning: 
The name Nicola is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Nicola is: People's victory.

Italian Meaning: 
The name Nicola is an Italian baby name. In Italian the meaning of the name Nicola is: Feminine of Nicholas: people's victory.

SoulUrge Number: 7

People with this name have a deep inner need for quiet, and a desire to understand and analyze the world they live in, and to learn the deeper truths.

Expression Number: 9

People with this name tend to be passionate, compassionate, intuitive, romantic, and to have magnetic personalities. They are usually humanitarian, broadminded and generous, and tend to follow professions where they can serve humanity. Because they are so affectionate and giving, they may be imposed on. They are romantic and easily fall in love, but may be easily hurt and are sometimes quick-tempered.

Well, they say Brittany means from Britain, but I guess my parents just liked the name. I personally don't like it, and there's too many Brittanys out there, but what can ya do? Haha
People call me Britney Spears a lot and let's just say, I'm not too fond of being called that name, besides, that's not how you spell my name. :facepalm:

I'm an Alfred and have never been overly fond of Batman ...  My great uncle was also an Alfred and I presume it was from him that mom got the name (they had a falling out and she never would tell me where the name came from).
My middle name is Mason - and when there is a gathering of my extended family (down to 2nd cousins) you don't dare yell "Mason"; half the crowd will be looking to see if they're being paged and the other half will wonder where their husbands are!  This looks like it came from a g-g-g-grandfather whose last name was Mason.

I've seen the website that Nix mentions (er, the boy part though), and since she did:

English Meaning:
The name Alfred is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Alfred is: Sage; wise; elvin. From the Old English Aelfraed, meaning elf counsel. Also from Ealdfrith or Alfrid, meaning old peace. Famous bearers: Alfred the Great was a 9th-century king, Alfred Lord Tennyson was a famous 19th-century poet.

SoulUrge Number: 6
People with this name have a deep inner desire for a stable, loving family or community, and a need to work with others and to be appreciated.
Expression Number: 1
People with this name tend to initiate events, to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities. They tend to be focused on specific goals, experience a wealth of creative new ideas, and have the ability to implement these ideas with efficiency and determination. They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority, and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient.

Oh, damn, "Mason" was the second popular boys name in 2012 (according to the SSA) there's more of us!

Also from the SSA web site - so its statistics apply only to those of us here in the US - is a tool to see how popular a name has been over time. As "Alfred" has fallen in popularity over the years, "Mason" has gained ground.

I had to look up mine:

Elyse \e-ly-

se\ as a girl's name is a variant of Elisa (Hebrew), Elissa (Greek), Elizabeth (Hebrew) and Elysia (Latin), and the meaning of Elyse is "God's promise; from the blessed isles; God's promise; God is my oath".
Read more at http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Elyse#lLpvldBk2Q1d3RKd.99

Guess that makes sense, considering how I was born on Christmas day and all. Though I think my parents always had the name picked out for a girl...I guess they liked how it sounded. 

I have no idea why I'm named Tina. I know my middle name should be after my paternal grandmother but my mom didn't like the combination 'Tina Marie' so decided to use my nans middle name then misspelled it so im Tina Louise not Tina Louisa. (My dad used to tell me im called Tina as it is 'a nit' back wards. No wonder I have issues lol) I do know it is a form of Christine.