Attacked By An Unleashed Dog - What To Do?

daltor

hi - there was a young husky on our local "huskyhaven n ireland" that ended up in the local pound & was due to be killed on boxing day - apparently it was badly attacked by 2 "stray" dogs & needed vet' attention - good news is it has been rehomed otherwise i would have fostered..

problem is by nephew who sometimes walks our pups is now worried (as i am too) - so you are walking along & out of the blue a unleashed dog starts viciously attacking one of your girls - what would you do? - how would you handle it?

cheers

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This actually happened to my partner while he was walking Champ through the neighborhood one night while I was at work...an off leash pitbull came charging across the road and started attacking them, Champ promptly put himself between the dog and my partner...my partner pulled Champ up against him and started trying to push the other dog away with his legs while yelling at the owner to come get his dog cause of course he was taking his time, Champ wasn't hurt even though we found blood on his chest later, it appears that it was the other dog's blood, and my partner had a nasty bruise on the back of his leg...I would have done the same thing but I would have also called the police because the dog attacked unprovoked and that's dangerous, not to mention the city has a leash law...the only time I would ever use physical aggression with an animal is if they're attacking me or someone else or someone's pet...I would just be hyper aware of the situation and the animals around you, since the attack we are very careful in the area where the pitbull charged them and for a few days after wouldn't go near the place, just be careful and be aware and you and your dogs should be okay, if it makes you feel more comfortable take someone with you on your walks so you have another person with you to help should something happen

This actually happened to my partner while he was walking Champ through the neighborhood one night while I was at work...an off leash pitbull..............

you were very lucky - my brother just told me that his mates wee 11 mth old west highland  terrier pup was attacked while walking 2 weeks ago by a staffy & had half its ear bitten off - have to admit this has always been a fear in the back of my mind & though it may never happen i feel i would have to my protect my pup by whatever physical means necessary from an unprovoked attack - like if the other dog had mine by the throat - what other option would there be?

I suppose given the situation, I would arm myself with something to defend myself and/or my huskies. Check to see what your options are where you live....what is considered protection to some may actually be against the law.

Do some research on what might be the best thing to bring along and learn how to use it to protect your huskies. For example, mace......

But also know that in an attack situation, something like that may only 'add fuel to the fire'.

Input from someone with experience in dog behavior would be most appreciated on this topic.

I would look up your local laws and see what is allowed. For example, excessive force is considered illegal and will land you jail time (even if you were defending yourself) in some places.

The good news: Most places have leash laws, and if you or your dogs (your 'property') is attacked by an off-leash dog, then the owner of that off-leash dog can be seen as 'at fault' because they were the ones that broke the leash law in the first place.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have any experience with this stuff...this is just what I heard. Talk with a lawyer if you have concerns about this kind of stuff, it is IMO the safest way to ensure where you are in regards to the law and what you can do to defend yourself and your property. 

Jason, this is definitely one of those questions whose answer depends on where you are.

Since my dogs are on lead (almost) 24/7 and I pack a small pistol for snakes I wouldn't hesitate to put a round in the air first and then one or more into the offending dog.  However I'm in the "wild, wild west" where carrying is the norm and legal. I also assume that any dog attacking one of mine is either wild or diseased.  *My* options would, I'm quite sure, land you in "gaol".

As others have said, you need to do some serious research into what your legal options are.  I can't think of any situation where defense of your property would not be allowed, but I know of several where any beyond the minimum to "control" the situation could land you in dutch.

If I'm right (UK members?) your immediate options are limited to your and your dogs physical abilities since you can't "pack" and I don't think you can even carry mace for protection.  How about a walking stick (cudgel?) ... would that be considered "out of bounds" to use to protect yourself and personal property?

i now carry a spare lead so if a dog goes at mine i use leash as a 'noose' it cuts the dogs air off making it let go then i have the dog on a leash to hold back

however - and im not afraid to admit it but wish i didnt have to have done it , when a dog attacked my girl when she was a pup , i kicked the hell out of the dog to try and get it off , i thought it was going to kill her the attack was that bad,  she was COVERED in blood ,, i hate that i had to do that but i had to save my girl - i am however NOT advocating kicking dogs

I have and wouldnt hesitate to use any means necessary to protect my dogs from injury. When Polee was attacked by a bull mastif in the vets reception I was punching and kicking the dog to get it off her. We have many off leash out of control dogs where I live so its always something thats at the forefront of my mind

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thank god this hasn't happened to us so far so my reply is purely  theoretical.  I'm guessing I'd be shouting for help, scanning the area for the owner and screaming blue murder at them, whilst trying to drag my dogs away back to the car by their lead.  While I don't condone violence of any kind, I'm with Nix on this one.  In a live or die situation, you sometimes find yourself forced into doing things you normally wouldn't even dream of in order to protect the animals in your care.  I guess you have to guage each incident and try to find the quickest way out of it at the end of the day.  So sorry you've had this bad experience, there are a lot of clueless owners out there but there are a lot of good ones too.  Had my Staff Brooke for over 12 years now and never once had an incident.  Sometimes it's just plain bad luck.     

Hidden

We carry products like Direct Stop although I have to admit, I am less worried than I could be. Nana's Gran was a known coyote KILLER. The breeder had a pack of five jump their fence to get to the dogs and Tabi broke three of the pack's necks. Needless to say the other two got the heck out of dodge. 

Our CAS will also be a good deterrent. The dam of our pup had trained fighting dogs set on her twice while out on a walk. Never a scratch on her but she pinned the other dogs down and wouldn't let them up until they stopped trying to retaliate. The dog's owners were going nuts thinking she would kill the dog, but as soon as it tried to leave, she let it run back to its people uninjured.

spray-shield-formally-known-as-direct-st

Jason, this is definitely one of those questions whose answer depends on where you are.

Since my dogs are on lead (almost) 24/7 and I pack a small pistol for snakes I wouldn't hesitate to put a round in the air first and then one or more into the offending dog.  However I'm in the "wild, wild west" where carrying is the norm and legal

al - i kinda live in the wild west myself (LOL) but you can't even own one of those plastic orange (toy) starter pistols that might help as a scare off factor? - i hope it never happens  but i thought there might "trick method" to stop an attacking dog without actually causing it serious harm - the "spray shield" as suggested by jmscott seems a good idea but that or similar i believe is not available here in n ireland or uk.

al - i kinda live in the wild west myself (LOL) but you can't even own one of those plastic orange (toy) starter pistols that might help as a scare off factor? - i hope it never happens  but i thought there might "trick method" to stop an attacking dog without actually causing it serious harm - the "spray shield" as suggested by jmscott seems a good idea but that or similar i believe is not available here in n ireland or uk.

Jason, I know from other comments that have been made that mace and it's immediate ilk are outlawed for the common folk there.  But can you find alternatives?  The one Jamie suggested is NOT a mace product but citronella (if it doesn't check the offending dog, you might be able to use it for mosquitoes?)  Take a look at this link or possibly this one and see if that's something you might be able to use. One thing that's been suggested a time or two here is to have a squirt pistol filled with ammonia - I don't know of many dogs that will put up with a faceful of ammonia. It also will temporarily blind them so that they just want to get out of there now!

Alternatively - and I hadn't thought about it till I was looking at those two links, this one set me to thinking.  A small compressed air canister air horn would probably be enough to startle the dog into backing off.  No harm done to anything except your eardrums ... and neighbors looking out to see what's going on.  And this little gem at 140db is actually louder than an air horn (115db)

On that note, if a dog is attacking mine, I'm not going to be too concerned that I don't hurt it.  First I want the attack to stop, then I'll be concerned for my dog and then possibly for the attacker.

.........The one Jamie suggested is NOT a mace product but citronella (if it doesn't check the offending dog, you might be able to use it for mosquitoes?)  Take a look at this link or possibly this one and see if that's something you might be able to use.....

al - thanks for the links - the first one might be handy to have but i don't known whether its similar to this ? - funny enough i too was thinking about the horn  - as i said it might never happen but i would just like to be prepared just in case - the little klee kai, nova has no fear & i am confident that she could hold her ground but our sibe akira is just a big gentle soul & its her i would worry abiut.

also my wife ask this question tonight - say if a dog did attack akira would nova be lighty to help defend her?

I looked at that link and since they don't say what's in it beyond a "unique blend of natural oils" I'd not even try to say whether they're similar or not.

What a dog is apt to so in an attack - until it actually happens - is anybodies guess.  Even Nova would probably be apt to run if the other dog were bigger and more obviously vicious.  I would *never* depend on any dog to act as a protector unless it had some training.  I was pleasantly surprised when my lab put herself between me and a fellow by whom she felt threatened - but even then I would not intentionally put her into that position again depending on that response - it's not fair to the dog and potentially VERY dangerous.

Actually, I like the noise maker as the best alternative in your situation.

... it is very easy to make your own super pepper spray juice. Chop up a handful or two of hot chillies. Boil in a 1.5 litres or so of water, reduce to half of how much you want - approx half. Strain through a coffee filter pad and hey presto you have your fluid. Add to a spray bottle or water pistol and you are in business. 

Be aware though, that even police grade stuff will not stop a highly aggressive dog in attack mode. This comes first hand from a Police officer.

... it is very easy to make your own super pepper spray juice. Chop up a handful or two of hot chillies. Boil in a 1.5 litres or so of water, reduce to half of how much you want - approx half. Strain through a coffee filter pad and hey presto you have your fluid. Add to a spray bottle or water pistol and you are in business. 

Be aware though, that even police grade stuff will not stop a highly aggressive dog in attack mode. This comes first hand from a Police officer.

cheers for that - my wife bought some shield stuff online last night before i seen this otherwise would have tried - at least it will keep my nephew happy who sometimes walks the pups - i only allow him to take them for short round the block for "wee wee walks" as we call them.

Never had anything serious when waking mine but a few months ago a not overly dangerous Jack Russell got out of its yard and dived straight for Diesel. My first instinct was hold Diesel back and try to get between but the other dog just kept walking around me. Diesel is a big softy and just stood/sat looking at the dog as it barked and dived at him. Eventually when the other dog lunged forward diesel rocked back and fell over and the Russell went straight for his abdomen. At this point and with the owner standing down the street making no attempt to control it I kicked the dog in the nose in order to protect diesel. The owner clearly knew they were in the wrong as they said nothing..

Again I don't condone violence on dogs but if it comes down to mine or theirs. I'm defending my own..

Their are many other dogs in the area and there are no issues but I'm sure with any area it's the small dogs (jack russells, terriers, etc) that cause the most disruption.. No problem with other huskies, collies, etc in the area...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First and foremost, I teach my dogs to ignore other dogs when on the leash.  If your dogs show no interest in loose dogs, in my experience the loose dog will rarely act unprovoked,  It also makes walking by yard with annoying yappy dogs much easier.  

Any time we are approached by strange dogs, I put my dogs behind me and using a commanding voice and body language let the other dog know they are not welcome to approach.  With my dogs trained to stay behind me and not encourage approach the battle is half won.  For most dogs this seems to work, but I did have one lab who completely ignored me and tried to get around me, to the point where I'd shove him away with my legs.

Having said all of this, I don't think I've ever been approached by a truly aggressive dog.  I would hazard to say that rare is the dog who is out just looking for a fight - many factors contribute to an attack.  Taking your dog out of the equation and being calm and commanding with the loose dog have served me well so far! 

While I agree that off-leash dogs don't usually attack ours if we teach our dogs not to pay attention, there HAS been this one occasion when Diamond got attacked by a loose Pomeranian without warning. That Pom was behind us. Diamond was not looking at him and his body language was absolutely relaxed. I couldn't tell the Pom to back off beforehand because it was just so sudden. Before I know it this little brown monster is already growling viciously and biting Dime's fluffy butt. Luckily his small muzzle only managed to rip a few tufts. Diamond was growling. But weirdly enough he wasn't baring his fangs, and he obediently kept on ignoring the Pom while I try my best to block that little dog with my legs. It's a good thing the Pom owner was quick to react. He grabbed his dog from behind and left after a quick "I'm sorry". Well boy if you're sorry, keep your Pom on-lead next time!  :angry:

So what do I do when a dog is going after mine? 

1) If its owner is present, first thing I'd do is let the owner know. Thankfully I never need to do so because if the owner IS present, they are usually very quick to react. If the owner is annoyingly slow, I will try my best to prevent an all-out dog fight by asking Dime to continue ignoring the attacking dog. Assuming Dime is unhurt, that is. I don't think I'd know how to react properly when Dime is hurt... :(

2) If loose dog owner is not present, I usually yell at the dog ("GO HOME!!") loudly and sternly. I also like to stomp my feet and keep my dog behind me. It worked like a charm when this aggressive Min Pin tried to bite Dime's face once. It's also good to show loose dog's owner how much of a disturbance his/her dog is to other people. One day I yelled at this tiny Chihuahua that kept lunging at Dime and she (the Chi) cowered back to her owner--who has always sat down watching while her itty bitty dog is going after my twenty five kilograms Husky. I yelled so loud the entire neighborhood saw what happened and I think it embarrassed her enough to keep her Chi controlled!

While I agree that off-leash dogs don't usually attack ours if we teach our dogs not to pay attention, there HAS been this one occasion when Diamond got attacked by a loose Pomeranian without warning. That Pom was behind us. Diamond was not looking at him and his body language was absolutely relaxed. I couldn't tell the Pom to back off beforehand because it was just so sudden. Before I know it this little brown monster is already growling viciously and biting Dime's fluffy butt. Luckily his small muzzle only managed to rip a few tufts. Diamond was growling. But weirdly enough he wasn't baring his fangs, and he obediently kept on ignoring the Pom while I try my best to block that little dog with my legs. It's a good thing the Pom owner was quick to react. He grabbed his dog from behind and left after a quick "I'm sorry". Well boy if you're sorry, keep your Pom on-lead next time!  :angry:

Proving once again that all Pomeranians are evil dressed in a cheap fur suit.

It's true!  I'm dead serious.  I've been attacked on two separate occasions by two separate fuzz-covered footballs!  One thought he could take Wyatt on (turns out he couldn't), and one ran out of its house and went after me, and the owner was horrified when I used my hand to shove it away - apparently the little mugger is bitey with even the family and totally owns them.

For the most part I reserve judgement and try not to stereotype dogs by breed, but as far as I'm concerned the only good thing a Pomeranian is good for is a throw rug.

:oops I also try my very best not to lay judgment on particular breeds, but this is Diamond's attackers list:

Attack #1: Mini Pinscher. The little thing escaped from its house and snarled at Dime's face. Never actually sank its teeth to my boy though. Cowered away when I yelled. 

Attack #2: Chihuahua and Mini Pom, ganging up on him. Their owner let them walk themselves even if she knows they're BOTH dog aggressive. Charged to Dime full-speed, fled the battleground later on because Dime lost his patience. 

Attack #3: Standard Pom, the one I'm telling you about on my prev reply

Attack #4: small mixed breed. Also notorious for chasing random people passing by its house. 

Not-really-an-attack #1: JRT mix and Pom mix, escaping from their house and charging at Dime full speed with teeth bared. Got bored and turned around once they noticed Dime is not reacting. 

see? all small dogs...