Attacked By An Unleashed Dog - What To Do?

daltor

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hidden

IceBlink was routinely nipped at by an offleash toy poodle in the neighborhood.

So far when we have dealt with rude of offleash dogs with Nana, we have always been with our CAS friends...and for whatever reason, and it never fails, the little sh** starter dogs (and their human counterparts) always want to meet the 100lb lgd that is growling and bearing its teeth.

the problem is if an unleashed dog (owner present) attacks your's (leashed) & you physically defend you are most lightly to end up in a fight with the owner.

Then so be it! Seriously. If a dog attacked Diamond and injured him, I'd do all I can to defend my boy especially if the loose dog's owner is not present. If he (owner) dares to put me at fault for harming his dog, I'd defend my innocence! Would be more than willing to pay vet bills in case the other dog got injured too badly, but I would not accept carrying "the one at fault" label. If that owner cares for his dog so much, he should have leashed the dog!

This happened to me and my then one year old husky, we were in a park and a unleashed pit bull walked by us,  Yotie didn't appear to be the least bit interested and was walking as usual, when the pit bull attacked us from behind.  I used the leash I had on Yotie to try to restrain the dog,to no avail.  Fortunately, I had my grandson with me, so he kicked the dog, picked him up and threw him about 6 feet, at that time the owner, he had been watching the fight from about 20 feet away, threatened me that if 'HIS DOG WAS HURT, HE WAS GOING TO SUE ME "  .  Yotie had blood everywhere, so took him to the vet immediately, not a scratch on him, so I can only assume the pit bull was injured, Called the local cops and reported the incident, but was very careful since Pits are considered a bully breed here and this type of incident usually means the animal is destroyed, didn't want that to happen, since I didn't consider it the dogs fault, but the owners.  The police did talk to him , the owner also paid for the vet bill, so not exactly sure what the police said to him.  The dog and the owner moved shortly after this incident.  I will protect my dog with whatever means I have available to me, I do not want to hurt the other dog, but I will protect my dog from them. Irresponsible owners should be held accountable, however far too often they are not.