When Can I Start Taking My Puppy Out For Walks ?

AzurA

he had his first vaccination 10 days ago

it was DA2PPvL

the vet said he needs to get this vaccine 3 times, once every month, is that true ?

also, he said that i shouldnt take him out of the house at least till the second vaccination...

what do u think ?

the reason i ask is that he seems to have tons of energy he wants to let out, i dont want him to burst lol :)

Puppies shouldn't go outside (unless its your garden) till2 weeks after the 2nd vaccination Try mentally stimulating your pup with basic commands play and a long or ball. Pups don't need A lot of exercise.. Bounding around the house wil wear them out Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

In the UK, ours generally have 2 lots of injections around 8 then 12 weeks, then we are advised to keep them in for a week after the 2nd injection. I would look in to the vaccine that is used but I'm sure your vet wouldn't tell you to wait iof you didn't have to. As Kells said, try playing stimulation games with your puppy or start on training him commands like sit, stay, paw etc

In the UK, ours generally have 2 lots of injections around 8 then 12 weeks, then we are advised to keep them in for a week after the 2nd injection. I would look in to the vaccine that is used but I'm sure your vet wouldn't tell you to wait iof you didn't have to. As Kells said, try playing stimulation games with your puppy or start on training him commands like sit, stay, paw etc

any tips regarding training ?

i dont know where to start on that

also, ive been reading about huskys that cant be trusted off leash

is there some training i can do that will eventually make him more trustworthy on that matter ?

Huskies prey drive is far too high to risk them off lead... Keep them on lead when outdoors at all times for their own safety please You can get a puppy to sit by holding your hand above your pups nose and raising it toward the baxk of his head... Pups normally ait down whilst following the hand... Give praise when it does it right Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

As mentioned, it is never a good idea to let your husky off lead. We have heard over the years of those dogs who always recalled perfectly, until that 1 time .... and never came back. There are various methods you can use to let your dog have fun - find a secure area & let them play in there, get yourself a 50 foot or even 100 foot lead & them run attached to that (try not to use in areas with trees etc! lol) with you on the other end. Prey drive is high in these dogs & that includes cats, birds, squirrels, even wanting to play with other dogs is a distraction they find hard to ignore

Sasha goes out back on her 100'lead. It tends to really look something like this ...

post-5355-0-57447500-1388007253_thumb.jp

Out the back door, she's telling me she wants to come back in ...

post-5355-0-12510500-1388007307_thumb.jp

Down the steps, round the pole, out toward the gas tanks ...

post-5355-0-18125000-1388007373_thumb.jp

She's out around the solar panels ... how many different things she's managed to get herself (and the rope) wrapped around is anybodies guess!

Avalanche has lead out the front door - I had them both out there till I realized that untangling leashes at least three times a day got to be a pain; now Sasha heads toward the back door when she wants out.  Then when she tells me she wants back in, I just follow the rope till I find the dog!

Doron, I had one of the exceptional dogs; she was a Sibe who went out running and when I called she'd come home - I could see her running from 1/2 mile away and she was "beating feet" to get back home.  Everyone kept telling me I was living dangerously - with her life but I just knew she was the exception - till one day two years ago she didn't come home.  I'm now a convert - if you have a husky and you value your dog - please keep them on lead unless you're someplace where they can't run.

first of all thank you all for the tips

Sasha goes out back on her 100'lead. It tends to really look something like this ...

attachicon.gifPDRM0061.JPG

Out the back door, she's telling me she wants to come back in ...

attachicon.gifPDRM0062.JPG

Down the steps, round the pole, out toward the gas tanks ...

attachicon.gifPDRM0063.JPG

She's out around the solar panels ... how many different things she's managed to get herself (and the rope) wrapped around is anybodies guess!

Avalanche has lead out the front door - I had them both out there till I realized that untangling leashes at least three times a day got to be a pain; now Sasha heads toward the back door when she wants out.  Then when she tells me she wants back in, I just follow the rope till I find the dog!

Doron, I had one of the exceptional dogs; she was a Sibe who went out running and when I called she'd come home - I could see her running from 1/2 mile away and she was "beating feet" to get back home.  Everyone kept telling me I was living dangerously - with her life but I just knew she was the exception - till one day two years ago she didn't come home.  I'm now a convert - if you have a husky and you value your dog - please keep them on lead unless you're someplace where they can't run.

jones, i do value my dog and thats what i was thinking too, theres a soccer field near my area that is fenced all around

il just have to find a way to get in , and he wont be able to get out :)

btw , i really like you photos, one hell of a view to see everyday from the window :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so he had his second vaccine last wednesday, im not sure about the vets around my area, it seems that in last year they got an idea that puppies should all of a sudden get 3 vaccines, i talked to some friends of mine and they said its weird and they never heard of that, i think i wont go back for a third vaccine, and will start taking him out in a few days.

They do three rounds of puppy vaccines here. I'd say especially in your puppys case because he was taken early from his mom and didn't get antibodies from her milk, I would get the third round. You can still take him for a walk after the second round, but I'd do the third if the vet suggests it.

They do three rounds of puppy vaccines here. I'd say especially in your puppys case because he was taken early from his mom and didn't get antibodies from her milk, I would get the third round. You can still take him for a walk after the second round, but I'd do the third if the vet suggests it.

it just looks like all they care about is money, they charge about 40$ a vaccine here, i dont know if that much but i hate to throw away money for something he doesnt need.