Kennel Cough.

Keeonah

A few days ago I took Sapphire to the vet as she was coughing / cagging on something. I thought that she had got a piece of wood stuck in her throat or something. There is a table in the middle of their run for them to lay on which they have taken to eating. The vet, not our normal one I might add, she is still off work after being attacked, said that she probably had got something stuck and to give her a couple of days and it should work it's way out. She did say, however, that Sapphire had a slightly raised temperature. I was given some medication for it and, after being relieved of £75 sent on my way. I had become quite concerned over the last couple of days as the snorting and coughing was getting worse and seemed to be spreading to the other dogs as well. After googling the symptoms it would seem that they all have Kennel Cough. I am bloody fuming with this stupid vet. Surely someone in her position should have spotted this straight away. This is not the first time that she has messed up either, which is one of the reasons that we don't go to her normally but it was a case of needs must. Has anyone had any experience of this disease that can give me some advise on what or what not to do. In all my years of dog ownership I have never experienced this sort of thing before. I would have got a vid but my camcorder on my phone seems to be playing up at the moment.

Gary.

Sorry Gary I can not help you there as both of mine have had there inoculations for kennel cough...

hope you get an answer soon and wish that all tour fur babies will feel better soon....

Sorry Gary I can not help you there as both of mine have had there inoculations for kennel cough...

hope you get an answer soon and wish that all tour fur babies will feel better soon....

Thanks Rob. Mine have all been innoculated as well. In fact the pups have only just had their boosters :(

Will get sarah to come on and reply. I know sje has Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks Marc. Really not sure where to go at the moment. They all look so sad.

Gary.

Thanks Sarah, I have been out and washed the kennel down and disinfected, the crates indoors have all been done and the bedding has all been washed and changed. I have some METACAM Meloxicam oral suspension, this is for acute and musculo-skeletal disorders and Nisamox, this should help with the raised temperature. Do you know if this will help in their recovery? I am trying to get a video of any one of them to show the symptoms but not having a lot of luck at the moment. 

Gary.

Just has to work its way out of there system. With healthy dog they generally just work their own way through it. Sarah was just saying benedril may help but didn't really want to be recommending because she isnt a vet, but worth noting and doing some googling on it I recon as a lot of the time the treatments are the same as ours just in a different packaging Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Gary, While none of mine have ever contracted the disease I've been required to have them given bordatella shots for those times I've had to board them. That resulted in my looking to see what they were talking about and why they needed to be vaccinated.

Take a look at this link from WebMD and it may help explain some of what you're seeing and why it goes from dog to dog.  It's safe to say that what you're seeing is the dog equivalent of the common cold, and, like the common cold it can be mild or deteriorate into pneumonia.  Just watch them carefully (and I know you are) and if it looks like any of them is getting worse, get to a good vet ASAP!

Charlie was getting over a mild case when we got him. He was on anti biotics for 2 weeks and recovered fully. It is common, should have been spotted by vet but recent experience tells me that medical training can go out of window if it time to go home! Hope your gorgeous pups better soon, big hug from here x.

Thanks for all your replies. I shall contact the vets in the morning to:-                                                    1) find out which vet is on

2) complain about the one that was there the other day and

3) try and get this sorted by a proper vet once and for all.

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

Good luck Gary. Got my fingers crossed for you that this gets sorted out soon. :grouphug: . One of my hubby's uncles dogs had kennel cough once. I don't really know much about it's treatment but I do know the dog in question made a full recovery. :)

Awww poor babies. From the video Gary it sounds a bit like reverse sneezing. Both mine have been doing it a fair bit lately. It was interesting to google it. Hope it's not kennel cough.

this is what wiki says about it

Kennel cough is an upper respiratory infection affecting dogs.[1] It is caused by a combination of the canine parainfluenza virus and the bacteria Bordetella bronchiseptica. It is highly contagious.[2] Kennel cough is so named because the infection can spread quickly among dogs in the close quarters of a kennel or animal shelter.

Viral and bacterial causes of canine cough are spread through airborne droplets produced by sneezing and coughing. These agents also spread through contact with contaminated surfaces. Most causes of kennel cough are highly contagious, even days or weeks after symptoms disappear. Symptoms usually begin two to three days after exposure,[2] and can progress to lower respiratory infections such as pneumonia. This disease is not a zoonose, i.e. it can not be transmitted to humans.

Symptoms

Incubation period is 3–4 days. Symptoms can include a harsh, dry cough, retching, sneezing, snorting, gagging or vomiting in response to light pressing of the trachea or after excitement or exercise. The presence of a fever varies from case to case. The disease can last initially from 10 to 20 days and can rebreak when the dog is put into a stressful situation which puts stress on the dog's immune system.

Treatment and prevention
See also: DA2PPC Vaccine

Antibiotics are given to treat any bacterial infection present. Cough suppressants are used if the cough is not productive. Prevention is by vaccinating for canine adenovirus, distemper, parainfluenza, and Bordetella. In kennels, the best prevention is to keep all the cages disinfected. In some cases, such as Doggie Daycares or Non-Traditional Playcare type boarding environments, it is usually not a cleaning or disinfecting issue, but rather an airborne issue, as the dogs are in contact with each other's saliva and breath. Although most kennels require proof of vaccination, the vaccination is not a fail-safe preventative. Just like human influenza, even after receiving the vaccination, a dog can still contract mutated strains or less severe cases.

I got a foster dog around 2 months ago, and within 24 hours she had come down with kennel cough (the rescue were very apologetic, but they were not to know, and some of the other rescues came down simultaneously). As we do not board ours, they had not had the vaccine. Storm got it around 7 days later, and Holly after 9 days. It hit our foster quite hard, as she was already low from being abandoned and being in the pound which she got on badly with. We used CHILDRENS BENYLIN FOR CHESTY COUGHS (comes in a red box) as advised by the rescue. It should be the children's one as the adult one has alcohol I believe, and for chesty coughs, as the dry cough version suppresses the cough, which is not what is desired. Our foster got it quite badly went on antibiotics for 5 days, which put her on the mend, but she had it for a full 2 weeks. We were ready with the BENYLIN when ours got it, and both got it very mildly, so did not require more than just BENYLIN. There was a lot of hacking coughing, gagging, but also sneezing like in the video. While they were coughing or had any symptoms, I did not go in the park, but rather just walked the streets. As bad as our foster was, she refused to miss a single walk.

KC was around the neighbourhood at the time mine got it, and most people whose dogs got it did not need anything more than BENYLIN - it is the canine version of the cold, but it is VERY infectious, which is why I made no effort to segregate my dogs, as I knew they would come down with it anyhow.

Hopefully a few more days will see an improvement in your Husky. It is common, but in most dogs were there are no underlying problems, the dog will get over it in the same way as a cold passes

We too had a foster who came in and developed a cough - chesty Benylin (adult or child) twice a day and it was gone in 3 days. None of our other 4 developed any symptoms

Apparently Kennel Cough is a general term and can be mild (as we had) or more severe (hence kennels insisting on vaccination - despite it not always being effective to prevent) and is thought to spread through mist droplets (coughed out) and shared water/food bowls

Thanks for all your kind replies guys. I have spent all night and day nursing them through this and things seem to be a lot better in Keiko and Nina, Sapphire seems to be over it but she did have it first. Sasha is showing sign of improvement but Eclipse is really suffering. If anything she is worse than she was yesterday but she is also the smallest and the weakest of the pack. I have been treating them with the medication I mentioned in an earlier post and it seems to be working. If at anytime I run out then I shall get out the Benylin. In the meantime I am just continuing to nurse her through it. She's getting a lot of love and attention and playing on it a bit. I don't care as long as she gets better.

Gary.