Can Dogs Get On After A Fight?

Chula

Chula finally got tired of my friends collie mix nipping at her and they got in a fight. We split it up and there were no visible injuries but it was definitely a fight.

Can they end up getting along? Jolene is a sweet dog but she does bite when she plays and Chula ignored it for a long time, but when she gave the warning snap, Jolene just went back at her and it turned into a skirmish.

It was at the dog park so it might have been escalated by the presence of other dogs, but it's really important to me that they find a way to tolerate each other. Any tips?

Your clue to this is in your first sentence "...there were no visible injuries but it was definitely a fight."  Jolene may be the sweetest little rascal, but when Chula's had her fill of "cute" she's going to object - which she did.

If there was no blood, it was simply Chula saying "I've had enough of this bitch! Stop it!"  I know that in the middle of one of these, it's hard to stop and see if there's any damage or not, emotions are running high and all you want to do is get the dogs apart and make sure they're safe. 

The best I can suggest, if Jolene listens to you, is what I do here.  Avalanche likes to play; Sasha, not so much.  I've had a couple of skirmishes in the living room where Sasha was saying "I've had enough, leave me alone!" Since Avalanche will listen to me, even when he's hyper, even when he doesn't really want to all I have to do is yell (I kinda get a little loud!) "Okay, enough!" He may push his luck a little but a simple "Enough!" normally tones it down ...

In your case, though, I'd see if I could interrupt the biting play before or as soon as it starts - let her know that it's not acceptable; even a dense Collie will figure out that Chula's not happy and you're not happy and maybe she'd better "cool it"!

Our two spar every once in awhile. Like Al, we usually, in a raised voice, say , "knock it off!" For the most part, they get along fine, and the spats they have had, seem to do well toward setting the boundaries for what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Only once was there any blood, and it was mine. Got my finger split open trying to separate them.

I think maybe we shouldn't have them together at the dog park. They've done ok together when they're in the back yard, I think the hyper tense environment at the dog park isn't good for them. Since all the dogs circle when a skirmish breaks out it doesn't allow them to work it out on their own.

Jolene follows Chula around barking and herding Chula, which she doesn't do with other dogs. Chula does not like to be chased, and Jolene nips at her butt and heels. Chula doesn't start fights, but she will defend herself. For how sweet she is, Jolene sure is a mean little thing.

Oh they definitely can, our 3 have pulled chunks of fur out of each other, then 2 seconds later they're sleeping on each other.

It's going to be a different relationship with them not living together, but Nika has a Labrador friend called Bess, and those two have some real 'cat fights', but they never fall out for very long :)

My only suggestion would be to nip Jolene's actions in the bud before they annoy Chula. Whether she's your dog or not, the owner shouldn't have a problem with you taking actions to prevent Chula defending herself again. :)

- Caity