Going On A Diet

BingBlaze n Skyla

ok so Skyla is going on a diet, we've cut out all the rubbish n told everyone to stop feeding her scraps and her meals are much smaller then what we used to give her also she only gets 1 treat a day (meaty strip - half after a walk)

im going to get a new long lead n start taking her to the field again at the weekends , so apart from this n obviously more walks is there anything i can do to help her get into better shape? 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops I thought you're going on a diet not Skyla.. when it comes down to doggy diet idk what to suggest since all my dieting tips are for humans  :( but it sounds like you're on the right track :)

EDIT: btw I've also decided to start going on a diet :) tell Skyla she's not alone xxx

ok so Skyla is going on a diet, we've cut out all the rubbish n told everyone to stop feeding her scraps and her meals are much smaller then what we used to give her also she only gets 1 treat a day (meaty strip - half after a walk)

im going to get a new long lead n start taking her to the field again at the weekends , so apart from this n obviously more walks is there anything i can do to help her get into better shape? 

They say they take after their owners so we should lead by example :P  

• 1 month later...

Ok so it's been 4 weeks since I've started taking her for extra walks and cutting her food down n she does look ABIT slimmer but haven't been able 2 get her weighed just yet but I have a week off work soon so gonna go for a long walk to the vets and back to get her weighed I've also just gone n got their kibble n got the light (20% less fat) version too so she'll be looking less like a polar bear n more like a husky in no time - I hope lol

Ok... that is a great topic... when taking a dog on a diet it is important to consider seeveral things the first is does your dog really need a diet? There is something called body condition score (http://vetcetera.com/clients/10828/images/gr_BodyConditionScore.jpg) that scores the body on ascale from one to five normaly 1 beeing cachetic and 5 beeing obese. You want your dog on 3.

You want to be able to feel but hardly see its ribs and pelvis bones. If you cant feel them than the dog is over weight. Second thing to consider is that dogs like us don't like to be hungry and that is why cutting the amount of food drastically is not a good idea at all. I recomend mt patients to feed the daily dose devided into breakfast and dinner. If you decide to diet your dog than reduce the amont by no more than 10%. Also alot of brands offer a diet designed for weight loss suxh as hills r/d or w/d or their new product metabolic. Third thing is the activity: if the dog is obese than don't run him and don't start a rigorous exercise program until his bcs is around 4, it would be harmful. Start by increasing the daily activity by several minuets and increase weekly so for example if you go on half hour walks increase to 40 minuts and go up 10 minutes more a week. Dont forget that huskies are naturally sport machines and with propper food regime coupled with propper exercise they will lose weight rapiy.

Another thing is to controll the progress by weighing every two weeks because if there is no change over this period than you are doing something wrong. In short propper amount of high quality food that is age oriented (the nutritional requirements change with age) coupled with propper amount of exercise suitable for the dog's condition should do the trick.

Just as an example I have Tanja and Jallu on a 2-3hours a day running schedule (morning and afternoon) that can be from 6-10km at a time or sometimes they just run around freely and dig to china at thier leasure for an hour/hour and a half and they are still full of energy. They both eat hills for medium sise breed (T adult, J puppy).

Good luck

DUNC CHEEKY GIT!! You are lucky getting away with that one!!!!

Just diet and excersize tbh Nix i found with Shadow cutting out any kind of scraps helped alot and also not TO many treats! And lots and lots of walking :D Running is also great but cant always be done!

Yeah she's not really a runner lol she has her moments but we don't physically go running I don't think either ov us are quite there yet

Am taking her to get weighed in a couple of weeks when I'm off work as we can take a long walk to the vets and back

I've cut out all junk (tho getting my family to do the same is proving slightly difficult) and I'm making sure it's one bowl of biscuits a day n then removing the bowl so no-one fills it up just because she kicks it around the kitchen lol

That plus our extra walk a day is really all I can do there just aren't enough hours in the day to get her out n about for longer because of work

We will get there even if it's only slow progress

• 2 months later...

Little update , not gonna say her weight till she's back down to her pre-spay weight but she's currently loosing about a kg a month, slow and steady :)

Slow and steady is good.