Swimming And Water

fazz_1982

Does anyone have huskies that just simply refuse to go swimming in the ocean or a creek. We just can't seem to get our two used coming in for a paddle. The girl in particular is such a "scaredy cat"

Does anyone have any helpful tips or recommendations to ease them into it? I have tried them in a pool whilst holding them in there, briefly paddled in the shallow surf but as soon as a slight wave comes, they are out of there!

When we rescued our husky Diesel, he had lived on Anglesey, an island, for 4 yrs and then at Bangor, on the coast of North Wales for the next 4 months. We picked him up & stopped half way home to stretch our legs etc on a beach as we thought after all that time on the coast, he'd be used to being walked near the sea. He squealed like a piglet! He was terrified of the water, we think it was the noise of the waves. You'd have thought we were torturing him.

We just kept taking him to the beaches near us with other dogs who loved the water and after a few months, he was the first in & the last out, he turned in to a right water baby! Don't force them in. Do you know other people who's dogs play in the surf? Maybe throw a ball towards the waters edge & let them retrieve it. Even if you just walk up & down the beach for a while getting nearer to the water so they get used to the sights & sounds to start with. Baby steps  :)

Let us know how you go on with them

Diesel sounds like my Skyler a bit :)

Yeah I thought that it maybe a combination of the sound of the wave and the under current on the sand that they didn't like. They are fine walking along the beach and enjoy it very much, its just as you said, when they get near, they freak out and want to run back to dry sand. Skyler is worse that Rocky as Rocky will sometimes venture in until the water touches his under belly. I will keep at it and keep you posted :)