Please Help :( At Breaking Point.

BearsSlave

Bear is now 7 months old around about and still isn't house trained, our house smells SO SO bad I can't even explain, we can't have people round due to the smell. No matter how much I get the carpets cleaned with pet urine specific cleaner and also use  air fresheners the smell won't go.

Bear is happy to go to toilet outside but he is also more than happy to go inside and no matter what I seem to do he still goes inside, whenever he goes toilet outside I say the word toilet and when he has finished I make a big fuss of him and give him a treat of high regard (chicken/cheese etc)

When he goes inside I make a sharp noise when I catch him to stop him and I walk him outside but he then refuses to go, I have been standing outside 45 minutes before to wait for him to wee.

I am at breaking point as he is good other than this, I mean he has other small issues like being a little destructive but we are dealing with those, this on the other hand could get us kicked out and is making being at home a hell.

I will not rehome him under any circumstances unless it is the best thing for him, he is my world and I love him SO much but please help :( 

This is a tough one. At seven months of age, it is going to be more difficult to break him than when he was only two or three months old. You will probably need to start from the beginning. Get into a routine. Take him out on a regular basis, say every couple of hours. If you catch him in the act inside, let him know he is in the wrong, but don't over do it. When taking him out, if after ten minutes there has been no potty, bring him back inside. Take him out after play time, when he awakes, shortly after eating. Being consistent is the key. Some dogs pick up on this rather quickly, others it takes them longer. Not sure the process you are using when cleaning. If it's urine, that can be hard, especially if on carpet. Stuff soaks in and spreads. May need to rent a carpet cleaner or pay to have it professionally cleaned.

He is of the age to challenge you in every training attempt. And will.

Dave has provided you with some great advice.

Watch closely for signals that he needs to relieve himself. He's probably telling you, but you are missing it. For instance, my 3 year old will ring her bell to go out. Our rescue is still learning about the bell, but she will sit in the kitchen and give a quiet cry. A very quiet cry. If I'm not tuned in, she will run through the house and go back to sit in the kitchen. That's my ONE opportunity to let her out. If I'm not paying attention, she goes.

I would also consider teaching him to use a bell to let you know when he has to go. make this something he has to use his mind with. Ryn learned in three days and now, at three years old, is teaching the rescue.

Another thing is to leash him to you until you learn the signals he is providing. I'm guessing that signal is being given, but is being missed.

You can rent out a good carpet cleaning machine from Tesco. I think they are around £25. You book them online and they are very good. In a day you can do every carpet in your house. As for Bears behaviour,Dave has given you some great advice, I'd give it a go and if it doesn't work come back. I have my little girl Eclipse who has internal damage and she pees in the house, not her fault so we don't punish her but we manage. Keeping on top of it helps. She has bedding in her crate which can be easily removed and washed and she tends to do it in there if she can't get out in time. Good Luck.

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

If it doesnt work just lift him up put him outside 

Don`t say a word to him put him outside I did it like that with nero

Learned him to walk to the door when he needs to go 

now everytime he needs to go he puts his feet against my leg and walks to the door ::)

throw that carpet away if you can! urine scent is tough to get rid of, especially when they're stuck on a carpet. I no longer have carpets or even rugs in my house because Diamond peed on one once, and the smell is just all over the room :huskyfall: that odor is probably why Bear is not really progressing in his training. If you want to go a little bit extreme, move the dog (and humans) out of the house for a moment while you spray every spot that has ever been peed on with bug spray. Let the bug spray sink in, come back in 20-30 minutes later. That's always my last resort when dealing with dog pee scent 

• 3 months later...

I use a specific carpet cleaner for any accident, albeit they are few are far between now. we also have  VAX carpet cleaner for giving it a good going over every few weeks.

My suggestion would be that you need to physically take him outside every half and hour or so and stand with him til he pee's, when he does reward him and fuss him to the extreme so that he knows he's done good.

Also, try to learn the triggers that might suggest that he is wanting to go out, for example lots of sniffing/circling etc. We can almost predict when Skye wants or needs to go out now and she has only been with for just over 6 weeks now, we also ask her "do you want to go out?" and she immediately runs to the back door if she does, we still get excited wee's but the actual going inside has stopped and only happens if we are not paying attention.

Edited by ginger38