Jumping!!!

HuskyMomma

Right I need some advice/correction in how to keep my girls from jumping up. They literally jump up everything! Visitors, kitchen sides, chairs...The list goes on! They all just turned 1 in November, so I may just be jumping the gun in puppy expectations so any of your stories would be great help!

At the moment we're doing the whole eye contact thing. Basically they don't get anything from us - be it food, toys, or cuddles - and I do see a bit of a difference. If we can get them when they're sleepy/less excited the jumping is obviously less but coming into the house, and new people are guaranteed jumping instigators.

Advice please!

Thank you in advance!

Mishka, Maiko and Kiya

You could try keeping a leash on them when you have visitors etc and correct them with that when they attempt to jump.

Panda was jumpy but i would correct him with a tap near his back side. I don`t have to touch him now, would just go up to him and say no and he usually gets the point. But he never did jump on tables etc only the sofa.

I turn my back around and stops any kind of interaction once Dime jumps up. But that was a long time ago. If I was sitting and he tried to jump up to my face (usually trying to steal food) I would push his chest slightly with my foot. Again, without paying him the slightest attention. If he managed to get too close, then I'd unleash the dreaded "no!". It doesn't take Dime too long to learn, but he's born obedient so... :shrug: 

Thank you for the advice guys! Leads when we have visitors seems to be a little better than letting them jump everywhere and ignoring when they jump up us seems to be coming along just fine!

Mishka, Maiko and Kiya

the leash thing doesnt work for zoey. Ive been using the leash when people come over to stop her from jumping, and sure I can stop her that moment from jumping because she literally cant. but I cant leash her the rest of her life. She doesnt get the leash means no jump. Its a temporary bandaid and not a permanent fix. If people came over and zoey wasnt on a leash shed jump over everyone.

That's exactly how our girls are. My nan won't step foot near our house cause she just doesn't like being mauled when she walks through the door. Got to sort something out! But thanks for your input, I was quite worried that the lead wouldn't be a permanent fix but im willing to try pretty much anything!

Mishka, Maiko and Kiya

In my experience, you have to be consistent. The "leash thing" might not signify to her yet that she doesn't jump, but it should eventually click that if she starts to jump, the leash goes on and she *MUST* lay down. Once calm, release the leash and let her free. If she starts to jump again, make her sit. I'm a big fan of indoor leashing as a way of training. It has helped us immensely, and Chula still knows that when the short leash comes out, it means she's being too jumpy/rowdy. It took six months of this though, and sometimes she still reverts and the leash comes out. It isn't going to work right away, it takes time.

Edited by Chula

In my experience, you have to be consistent. The "leash thing" might not signify to her yet that she doesn't jump, but it should eventually click that if she starts to jump, the leash goes on and she *MUST* lay down. Once calm, release the leash and let her free. If she starts to jump again, make her sit. I'm a big fan of indoor leashing as a way of training. It has helped us immensely, and Chula still knows that when the short leash comes out, it means she's being too jumpy/rowdy. It took six months of this though, and sometimes she still reverts and the leash comes out. It isn't going to work right away, it takes time.

problem is leash means walks, not "no jumping". I put the leash on before someone comes over and zoey gets very excited and thinks shes going for a walk, not "oh man I cant jump now".

You can try it though, we still use it because its the only thing to physically stop her from jumping but its not a permanent fix and I can see it never will be with zoey.

Thanks for the positive side of lead training! Did you do this only for visitors or when you and your other half came home too. As they're our dogs we can tolerate the jumping and a 'training lesson' every time we walk through the door, others are less inclined lol!

Mishka, Maiko and Kiya

Usually, if she jumps up on me when I come home, I will set her down and pet her. She doesn't usually jump up again. If she does jump up, I just turn around and she stops. I have used the leash at home for numerous things though, all of which essentially equate to "calm down, pay attention to what I am telling you". It isn't specifically "no jumping", it is "stop being a nutcase and listen to me".  :)

And to his credit, Al is actually the person who first suggested I use a leash to stop jumping and nipping. 

Thanks for the positive side of lead training! Did you do this only for visitors or when you and your other half came home too. As they're our dogs we can tolerate the jumping and a 'training lesson' every time we walk through the door, others are less inclined lol!

Mishka, Maiko and Kiya

she doesnt jump on me actually. only visitors. she just gets really happy to see people and wants to kiss them to death lol

Zoey, I'm to suggest that you have two problems there.

The first is when you said that the leash means it's time for a walk.  You should be able to pick up anything in your house and move it from point A to point B without it causing your dog to be a nutcase.  With my two, I can take a steak out of the fridge and they both look at it, look at me and go on with whatever it is they're doing - they know that this is mine and they aren't going to get any.  Same thing with a leash, if it's laying on the couch and you want to put it up, you should be able to pick it up and move it without it being a problem.

Solution:  Simple, just start moving it around.  Put it on the back of a chair and then move it to the door knob, then to another chair, etc. 

The second is that you have a dog who hasn't figured out that her feet belong on the floor unless you tell her otherwise.  Oh sure, you can kick her hind feet out from under her or you can knee her in the ribs - but do you really want to teach her with pain ... or with kindness??

Sorta contradicting my earlier solution ... put her leash on her and leave it on her!  When it's time to go for a walk, go to the door and call her, if she doesn't come then wait 10 or 15 minutes and do it again, when she finally comes to you pick up the leash and take her out.  She's now learning that "walk" means when you're ready and calling her, not when you pick up the leash. Having the leash on her all the time accomplishes two things.  It desensitizes to the presence of the leash and what it means ( "Walkies" at the moment ) and it also allows you to step on it when she tries to jump up since it's already there.  Sasha will tell me that she wants out by pacing between me and the door.  She knows that she's not going out till I go to the door and call her (her lead is outside all the time anyway)

And as Emily said, this isn't something that she's going to learn overnight - it's going to take time and consistency on your part to make it stick.

well i cant leave the leash on all the time, thats dangerous for her and my house. and we have been doing it for a while (+6 months), it still hasnt worked. like I said some things dont work for some dogs. Sure it stops her from jumping that second. but what happens if someone comes over and she doesnt have a leash? she jumps. she doesnt get the connection.

How old is Zoey?

Perhaps I am reading this wrong, are you saying you have done indoor leash training with her for 6 months and have seen no improvement? There are other options, like timeouts (for which you'd probably have to have a leash on her so to lead her to timeout area), or making sure that your guests are prepared to "turn around and ignore" before they come over. Maybe enlist a few friends to come over a couple times a day to work on teaching her to greet visitors properly. There isn't going to be one easy way to address the jumping. I have one friend that Chula just goes CRAZY over and the leash meant nothing to her with this particular friend. She would writhe and scream and cry until she got to jump on her. So I asked her to come over a couple times a week and turning around/ignoring her. We also would meet at the dog park or out on the street, and essentially desensitized her to this person that she couldn't control herself around. After many, many weeks of this, she's much better about jumping.

well i cant leave the leash on all the time, thats dangerous for her and my house. and we have been doing it for a while (+6 months), it still hasnt worked. like I said some things dont work for some dogs. Sure it stops her from jumping that second. but what happens if someone comes over and she doesnt have a leash? she jumps. she doesnt get the connection.

Its all about consistancy Zoey. If you are consistant with what you do and patient with it then it will work, regardless of the dog. The only think that is different for each dog with training is that some take  a lot longer than others, but they will give in eventually. The problem from what I can see is that there is no incentive at the moment to stop. Think about it in terms of teaching a child, if they want something they will work for it. All you gotta do is find something she wants and use it as a reward for when she does it correctly. So when someone comes to your house, MAKE THEM WAIT. Its your house, your guests will wait until you are ready to let them in. Get something of high value to your dog and get her focus.

Now something about me and my dogs. They jump around when people come to the house. Koda is a noisy little s*** and Kimba will not come in the house for me unless I physically go out for him. Who is at fault? Me and Sarah of course. Its our choice and we dont mind them the way they are. However they have always been allowed to sit, sleep on the furnature since they were born. I just bought a new set and it cost me a fortune, now they are not allowed. My choice, my rules, and my work to put in to get them there. People are here for advice, take hold of it because some of em are a damn sight better than either of us :)

Its all about consistancy Zoey. If you are consistant with what you do and patient with it then it will work, regardless of the dog. The only think that is different for each dog with training is that some take  a lot longer than others, but they will give in eventually. The problem from what I can see is that there is no incentive at the moment to stop. Think about it in terms of teaching a child, if they want something they will work for it. All you gotta do is find something she wants and use it as a reward for when she does it correctly. So when someone comes to your house, MAKE THEM WAIT. Its your house, your guests will wait until you are ready to let them in. Get something of high value to your dog and get her focus.

Now something about me and my dogs. They jump around when people come to the house. Koda is a noisy little s*** and Kimba will not come in the house for me unless I physically go out for him. Who is at fault? Me and Sarah of course. Its our choice and we dont mind them the way they are. However they have always been allowed to sit, sleep on the furnature since they were born. I just bought a new set and it cost me a fortune, now they are not allowed. My choice, my rules, and my work to put in to get them there. People are here for advice, take hold of it because some of em are a damn sight better than either of us :)

we have been consistent with the leash for zoey. and to be honest were consistent with everything. zoey has lots of rules. more than most people i know dogs. zoey has to wait for everything, and has to sit for everything. she has to sit wait before going outside, before getting food, before getting a toy, before treats. etc etc.

its not that we dont have rules. 

How old is Zoey?

Perhaps I am reading this wrong, are you saying you have done indoor leash training with her for 6 months and have seen no improvement? There are other options, like timeouts (for which you'd probably have to have a leash on her so to lead her to timeout area), or making sure that your guests are prepared to "turn around and ignore" before they come over. Maybe enlist a few friends to come over a couple times a day to work on teaching her to greet visitors properly. There isn't going to be one easy way to address the jumping. I have one friend that Chula just goes CRAZY over and the leash meant nothing to her with this particular friend. She would writhe and scream and cry until she got to jump on her. So I asked her to come over a couple times a week and turning around/ignoring her. We also would meet at the dog park or out on the street, and essentially desensitized her to this person that she couldn't control herself around. After many, many weeks of this, she's much better about jumping.

shes over 2 now. and no improvement no. the other part is a good idea.

I hear a whole lot of something I've learned to call "Yes, but ..."

Let's see, you can't control her; a leash doesn't work; have you considered crate training her and having her go to her crate when you have someone at the door??

didnt say we cant control her, but she jumps on guests if we arent there to prevent it. She is crate trained, but crating the dog when people come over defeats why we have a dog. and ive never been a fan of using the crate as a form of punishment. Like I said we use the leash, but it isnt working for long term, and im looking for other alternatives. 

Being out in the sticks, we don't get many visitors, so the dogs go nuts when we do. We encourage our dogs to jump up at us, it's a good way to bond with them in my opinion, they like to kiss and cuddle with us and say 'hello I'm here'. Once they've done it, they calm down and go about their business, gets it out of their system so to speak.

However when we have a visitor the dogs obviously want to do the same but this is not allowed, they are not their family. So we take them by the collar and make them sit, physically, until the visitor is in and decoated or whatever. I then ask or know if they mind the dogs saying 'hi' and 9/10 they don't, so then the dogs are released and they can say hello. Again it gets it out of their system and then they are happy to go about their business. If the visitor is anxious of the dogs then we keep the dogs sitting, but obviously this goes on longer and is a bit tedious, but rarely happens. I'm not saying don't train your husky, but if I'd wanted a  lap dog, then I would have chosen one of those instead. In my opinion it's part of their character which I love and what makes them so special, they are so affectionate and like to show it. :)

I did thanks! I was trying to see what I was doing wrong. I'm brand new to the idea of lead training and I'll give it a go and see how it works.

Thanks!

Mishka, Maiko and Kiya

which one of your three jumps? all of them? or just one

Have either of you tried a 'place' for your huskies to be when visitors arrive? 

It isn't something I've had to do with Ryn, but I have discovered with Petunia, that she tends to jump on guests. So, when someone comes in the door, the girls (both of them) know that they need to be in their 'place' to greet them. For us, that is a good 8 feet away from the door, sitting on their butts. For some, it could be a corner, their bed, just anywhere away from the door and the person visiting. Then, when it's ok to greet, they are released to do so. And MUST greet in a fashion that they have been taught is appropriate - no jumping, no face licking, no pushing. 

I have to agree with Mark, it's all about consistency no matter what method you chose. The actions must be met with consistent response each and every time. If you control the jumping 7 times out of 10, you think you're doing good, but what the husky is understanding is "7 times out of 10 I have to obey this rule. There are times when I don't have to." Each time you don't correct or miss a correction is giving them permission to jump again and the training begins all over again. 

I spent a lot of time thinking I was doing something correctly, only to discover if I actually met the challenge and corrected 100 percent of the time, training was a piece of cake.