New To Forum - 10 Week Old Puppy

Turner8470

Hi all,

My wife and I purchased a puppy husky 2 weeks ago. She is now 10 weeks old and growing to be an energetic bundle of fluff. She recently had her 2nd batch of vaccinations (03/01/14), has been registered and insured through the kennel club and all in all is settling in fairly well for a baby. Dogs are not new to either of us but after doing lots of research, the same property is being noted - huskies arent like every other dog. Every website we have been on offers different information on feeding habits, toilet training, general well-being etc. It gets a little confusing and annoying. Our mqin concerns are : FEEDING HABITS: - Currently she is fed 4 times a day on james wellbeloved puppy food, only a handful at each meal, mixed with a small amount of wet food to make it appealing. Is this too much for her???? And are there any better brands of food???

She is becoming very bitey. My arms look like a cats scratching post after a few days. Any tips on getting her to stop if possible??

General toilet training tips - she loves pooping on the carpet though we praise her plenty when she goes outside, puppy pads are also placed inside for her to go on.

And finally- can we now take her for small walks outside, she is very energetic and we want to expose her to the outside world as safely and soonly as possible with minimal risk to her health (10 weeks old, 2 lots of vaccinations)

Any other tips and advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

We love our pup to bits and want to give her the best life possible.

Welcome to the pack , James wellbeloved is a good food . What wet food are u mixing in?<br />Puppies nip unfortunately a firm no and redirection should help <br />I'd scrap the puppy pads n go on as u mean to , outside every hour or so and straight after feeding drinking sleeping playing etc , also keep an eye on her for any signs of fouling , sniffing around circling etc n take her straight out, ignore any business in the house u don't see n don't let her watch u clean it up , I've read they think you 'playing' with it means they've pleased u , if u can catch her in the act pick her up n take her outside

First off WELCOME to Husky Owners.

The easiest way to judge if you are over feeding is, how solid is the poop.

If it's runny then you're over feeding, if it's nice little brown sausages then you're spot on.

Walks, should be about 5 minutes per month of age so at 10 weeks about 10-15 minutes

(probably a walk around the block) 20 minutes would equate to about a mile.

Don't forget they are running around like crazy things in your house and garden so they are getting plenty of exercise. :)

Biting, when she does it pull your hand back making an "OW!!"  noise she'll soon learn it's not a good thing.

Bite inhibition is something learned with her litter mates as they play and learn to play but not to bite too hard.

Toilet training, if she is actively using the puppy pads then gradually move them towards the door to the area where

you want her to actually go toilet. Then outside.

post-1354-0-60486000-1375933568.jpeg

First off WELCOME to H-O :D 

Feeding habits: sorry no advice... but if you see that your pup is having diarrhea, it means you're feeding too much.

Bitey pup: aww somebody's been naughty :P there are several methods which are all believed to be effective: 1) tell her a firm "no!" when she bites and stop any kind of interaction immediately. Turn around, walk away, pretend she's not there for a few minutes. 2) Get her a chew toy. Every time she bites your hand, or anything that she's not supposed to bite, tell her no and give her the chew toy. Make sure you get a durable one btw. 3) whenever she bites, make a loud OUCH sound that resembles a puppy's (her littermates) yelp. 

toilet training tips: I see you're on the right track. You said you're not new to dogs, so I believe you won't have too many problems :) one advice though you might want to get rid of that carpet. If possible, make your house carpet-free. Once a dog relieves itself there it's gonna be very very hard (and pricey!) to get rid of the scent. 

can she walk yet?---- I've never owned a puppy so can't help you with this, but I'm sure the others would know what to say :)

Welcome not had a puppy (solo was 2 when we got him) but he learns quick. Can also be stubborn defiant (actually says no lol) loving funny and just wonderful. My2 an odd mix but life is never dull. If pup has had all vaccinations no reason to not start walks.

Welcome to husky owners. If the date if your pups last shot was the third of jan. you need to wait for two weeks before taking her out. Nix already gave you great advice on the biting and toileting. I'll second scrapping the puppy pads. Never found them to be much help personally. Time, consistency and a whole load of patience worked best. :)

Thanks very much for all the advice, the wet food is butchers, probably not the healthiest or best choice but she loves the taste and soon as it is put on the floor she munches it all. The poop varies, had a bout of diarrhea after the vaccination but since then they are solid either light or dark brown. Will try all the techniques you have all said and see how they go.

Thanks very much for all the advice, the wet food is butchers, probably not the healthiest or best choice but she loves the taste and soon as it is put on the floor she munches it all. The poop varies, had a bout of diarrhea after the vaccination but since then they are solid either light or dark brown. Will try all the techniques you have all said and see how they go.

is that her in your avatar? :D she's beautiful! what's she called btw? I have just realized we've been all saying "her" for quite a while :P

Yeah butchers isn't great , not sure if they do James wellbeloved wet food but I know they do wainwrights wet food which is also a good brand , or u can poor hot water over the food that will help soften it for her puppy teeth and help bring out the flavour/smell to make it more appealing

All great advice, not much to add so I don't confuse matters  :P

She will be nipping as she ideally she should have stayed with her Mum & litter until at least 10 weeks to give her that initial understanding of what is right etc but a sharp yap or no, then ignore her for a moment or 2 will get the message across, huskies hate being excluded and want to please

Feel free to post pics of Keira in the photo section on here. Take lots & lots as she will grow up so quickly  :lol:

Hey Tyla & Kiera and a chilly welcome to you from South Texas! (where it's supposed to be warm if not hot!!)

I haven't seen any pictures of this little one yet ... and we're all anxiously waiting for some bigger pictures of her.

You're right on one count though, different web sites have different ways of saying how Husky's should be raised.  You'll find that we generally are of the school that it's easier and makes for a happier dog (and then of course the hoomans) if you use a lot of tender loving care in getting her to do what you want.  But then you've gotten loads of good advice so I won't go into my typical book mode!

Hello all. Welcome to the forum and congrats. I'm also a new owner so I feel your pain as far as your uncertainty. I found help with the answers to some of your questions here and had a question of my own that you can probably use down te road. When should you stop feeding 3-4 times a day to twice a day? Otto is eating 3 meals a day, 1/4 cup each meal, or about 185gm a day. What is a good amount for twice a day and when should that start?