Nicknames

mydiamond

Is it true that nicknames confuse dogs and hinder them in training? How many of you calls your dog with nicknames? Do they respond to their nicknames as well? 

Diamond has a long list of nicknames but "Dime" is the only one he responds to. I call him "baby" a lot though. He doesn't respond to "baby", but over time has taught himself to lift his head and make brief eye contact if I say "hey, baby". Weirdly enough, he often ignores commands if I attach one of his "embarrassing" nicknames on it :lol: for example, Dime would not respond to "baby, come on!" or "come on, sweetie" but he'd gladly stop whatever he's doing and walk on when I say "Diamond, come on!". I don't attach names to commands such as "sit" or "stay" though. I wonder what will happen if I start saying "sit, baby" instead of the plain old "sit!"  :rolleyes:

I suppose if I'm praising them I might use a nickname. For example if Harry does something good (which isn't very often) I would say 'good Harry dog' as this is what we tend to call him.

Poor old Snowy has a myriad of nicknames, Snowster is the one I generally use, but it could be Snowpatrol, Snowflake, Snowstop, the list goes on.

When I give them a command I use just their name and when they are being a nightmare too, they seem to take more notice :)  Maybe that's the problem I'm having with Snowy and his toilet training, maybe when I praise him I should just use his name, maybe it'll have more of an impact.

BTW our dogs were already named and I don't like either, but it's too late now :)

Got plenty of nicknames for mine, some of them too rude to mention, the most random is ice is usually referred to as Arsen or Arsen Venger (started out as Icy wiener, lol). Tbh, for commands I only use their real name but it doesn't really matter as when I call out one of their names, they both come running! Lol

I suppose if I'm praising them I might use a nickname. For example if Harry does something good (which isn't very often) I would say 'good Harry dog' as this is what we tend to call him.

Poor old Snowy has a myriad of nicknames, Snowster is the one I generally use, but it could be Snowpatrol, Snowflake, Snowstop, the list goes on.

When I give them a command I use just their name and when they are being a nightmare too, they seem to take more notice :)  Maybe that's the problem I'm having with Snowy and his toilet training, maybe when I praise him I should just use his name, maybe it'll have more of an impact.

BTW our dogs were already named and I don't like either, but it's too late now :)

honestly I'm not a fan of "Diamond" either. Especially when the dog is a male! But all of the puppies in Dime's litter's names begin with the letter "D", so I guess there's no other name that springs to mind. Too late to rename him now though :lol:

Don't think mines really listen to the exact name I say, but more so how I pronounce it. Turns out that when I talk to them (or at least say their name) I always say it in the same way. The second hint for them I think is who I'm looking at. Glala is often said as 'Gla',  Dana as 'Daan' and Wodak as 'Woh' and they don't really mind.

Mishka has two main nicknames:<br /><br />''Chewy'' by a family friend and she actually responds to now lol<br /><br />And ''Baby'' which I use quite a lot without realizing lol<br /><br />But no they havn't had an impact on her training :)<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I have a few nicknames for Kira too, whether or not she'll respond to me calling her by it depends on why I'm calling :rofl: , I don't think she cares what name I say if the calling reason is/isn't to her liking.

When she can't see the reason she responds to Kira pretty well, but again, I think the tone of my voice tells her more than the words that come out.

Dog whistle is her favourite type of calling, cos she knows there's a dog cookie waiting for her at the other end :lol:

Chula has several nicknames, mostly a variation of her name - Chu, Chuchu, Chulis, Chuchita, and then some random names - Goat, Shmee, Puppyshmee, Puppybutt are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. When I'm calling her though I think I usually use Chula or Chu. The others are just when I'm having a chat with her or giving her cuddles.

Loki has many nick names mostly loki-doke, loki-doki, Loki bum, bum bum, wiggle bum/butt, chunky, chunky bum, chunks, chunky monkey, lokes, Loki baby, baby, baby cakes it all depends on what she's doing / done or what we're doing or talking about for which names we call her - she does look at us when we call her them probably thinks we're nuts. But when we give her commands we usually only use her name and then she will either listen to or ignore us depending on her mood.