Is She Eating Enough?

jamie615

Shadow is about 4 months old now and about 9-10kg

I feed get a cup of good quality dry food twice a day but she only eats about 100g in total a day.

Some days she will eat more. I've been told that the type of dog they are they eat less than normal but I feel she may be a little thin. Wanted to check befor I took her to the vet or anything

I don't know the average weight of 4 month olds because Dime came to me as a 14 months old, but as long as she's not lethargic or showing clear signs of being underweight I'd say she's fine. No dog would starve himself. If she's hungry, she'd eat. I must ask you this though do you know what breeding line does she come from? If she's from a racing line, do expect a leaner dog. 

As Liv has noted, if she's from a working line expect her to be naturally thinner.  And vets are notorious for saying they're underweight by dog standards since overall they generally are more svelte than most dogs.

Again agreeing with previous comments, if she's picking and choosing when to eat and sometimes leaves some then she's getting enough.  If she were really hungry, she wouldn't.  If she's normally active and isn't exhibiting any of the classic symptoms of being overfed (diarrhea, mostly) then you're probably doing a good job.

Thanks. I should add for thos who didn't see my new member thread. Shadow is not a sib she is a cross between an alaskan malamute and a Samoyed.

She has been eating like this since we got her so I will monitor her and maybe feed her again during the day.

is that what the feeding chart says on the bag ?

cause mine is almost 3 months and being fed 250g a day, about 80 per meal

I haven't got the bag anymore but it was around 250-300g but she won't eat that much.

I did try her on 3 meals a day but her poo went too soft. I would say she eats about 150-180g now split between two meal. But if she doesn't eat it within 15 mins I lift it.

sound a bit odd

my puppy inhales his food, its never looks like its enough for him

no matter how much i feed him he always wants more...

maybe something is wrong? what are you feeding her ?

I don't think there's anything wrong she is full of energy and not under weight just at that lanky stage now.

I feed her Iams large puppy food it's dry . I will measure today to find out how much she is eating.

My mix breed GSD/husky was only 9 kg at 4 months old, this is when we got him. He was particularly thin had diarrhea but seemed to have lots of energy, though think this was nervous energy.  After get him well, we fed him 3 times a day, I think he was eating 180gms in total, he's now 6 months and I feed him twice a day a total of 250 gms. He's gained 4 kg in the 2 months we've had him and he looks a bit fuller, not so skinny. I know he would eat more if I gave it to him, but then it would just upset his tummy again.

If your puppy is fit and well and toilet is good, then you can't make them eat more than they want, however smaller meals of 3 or 4 would be better as her tummy is still small. You said you tried this and her poo went soft, it probably will do for a few days, whilst her body adjusts. It might be an idea to try again and see after say 5 days, if things firm up.