Starting Doggie Daycare On Monday.

Chula

I'm nervous! It's small play groups of five or less, so that's usually best for Chula as she gets stressed out around lots of dogs. I hope she behaves herself. It's also REALLY expensive, but I'm hoping she just needs to do it a couple times a month to get some of her energy out especially on those mornings I have to go to work early or know I'll have to stay late. OH thinks it's a waste of money, but if it ends up not being worth it, we can just stop. I told him I'd give up happy hour two nights of the week to pay for once a week doggie daycare :)  After spending almost three weeks with her at home, there is a definite difference in her demeanor when she has company during the day. She's happier, more relaxed, less obnoxious...so I am giving it a shot.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This place is $30 a day. 

If you buy a package it goes down to $25 a day, but to start with I'm just paying by the day to see how it goes. I do like that they have small groups and a lot of one-on-one interaction with people. I can give them a list of commands/tricks we are working on and they will reinforce those behaviors. I don't think she would do well in a daycare where there are just a lot of dogs running free and no structure, so I'm hoping it's worth the extra $10 a day over the other daycares in the area.

I suppose it's relevant to the cost of living in different areas. $30 is significantly more expensive than the other daycares in the area, which are around $16-$20 a day. For my area, this is the most expensive daycare provider.

Edited by Chula

the place by me is $22.00 per day, but they are only open from 8:30am until 6:00pm.  They do offer early drop off/pick up for $5.00 per half hour, but I would have to drop them off at around 7:30am to make it to work by 8.  Plus it would be expensive for 3 dogs!  Although, honestly the only one that would need day care is Nikko, the other 2 don't get hyper. 

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Too bad OH IS being a jerk about spending the money. I thought he was ok but now he's saying he's not. Im still taking her. I can't leave her crated from 7:30 to 6 pm. It's one day a week. We can find other places to cut out the $30 to pay for it.

Good on you for sticking to your guns Emily :-D

Daycare sounds like a great idea for Chula. I know my 2 are always much more relaxed following a meet walk with other dogs rather than after a regular walk and their chilled out behaviour usually lasts a couple of days.

Let us know how she gets on x

Do they have one of those cameras so you can peek in at her?

I called the daycare by me and they actually open at 7am, but if you drop off before 8:30 it's $5 extra, so it would be $27 for Nikko to go for the day.  I might take him one of these days!

It was strangely traumatic for me to drop her off! I don't know why. I felt all vomity. I am sure she is fine, I asked a couple of the other folks dropping off their dogs how long they'd been bringing their pets and what they liked about the place and everyone had shining reviews. It's just weird to have someone else taking care of her. Plus the "drop off" is so unceremonious, I'm sure to eliminate any type of reaction from a dog being left by its owner, but it was weird!

I know the feeling!  The first time I dropped off Nikko to daycare I was so worried!  I hoped that he didn't get into trouble, or that he wouldn't get into a fight or anything.  Everything went well though, and he LOVED going there!  And the best part is that he was exhausted when he came back home :D

I had a pet sitter for Aurora and i used to call and they would send updates and pictures. 

She had to stop going tho as it was in a persons home and they were struggling to cope with her ( cant imagine why lol ) Would love something like this near me!

Hope she enjoys it :)

I am sure they would understand if you wanted to check up on her.  If it makes you feel better knowing she is doing well then there's nothing wrong with that!

Do you think I can call at lunch hour and see if she's doing okay? Or should I just assume all is well and leave it alone. I'm so curious!