New Husky Owner Says "hello"

isoh99

Hi everyone

My name is Jackey and I just got my first husky puppy last week :)

"Cash" is a boy 8 weeks old. He eats; plays; sleeps well & is being potty trained. The only problem he has is runny poop, can't say it's liquefied but definitely not solid.  Is this normal? He’s pretty active so I don't think he's sick.  I'll take him to the vet weeks later for his 2nd set of vaccinations, means while any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

Regs

post-11283-0-39852400-1389381786_thumb.j

post-11283-0-56842700-1389381798_thumb.j

post-11283-0-70601100-1389381812_thumb.j

Awwwe puuuupie!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:   He's such a lil stunner!

You will find that us Husky Owners are obsessed with poo LOL!  I wouldn't say it's normal, but it is common for a puppy, especially a husky pup to have some less than normal stools. 

First I would have to ask:

How much/often  are you feeding him?

What type of food are you feeding him?

Have you recently changed his food?

What treats are  you feeding him?

Huskies have sensitive stomachs, so if you feed them too much or a lower quality food it will cause runny poo's.  They eat less than normal dogs, so don't follow the food instructions.  Also, I would go with a high quality grain-free food, such as Taste of the Wild.

Going to a new home can be stressful, so it could be stress as well.  You can give him a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin, which will help firm things up.

Hope that helps! 

Awwwe puuuupie!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:   He's such a lil stunner!

You will find that us Husky Owners are obsessed with poo LOL!  I wouldn't say it's normal, but it is common for a puppy, especially a husky pup to have some less than normal stools. 

First I would have to ask:

How much/often  are you feeding him?

What type of food are you feeding him?

Have you recently changed his food?

What treats are  you feeding him?

Huskies have sensitive stomachs, so if you feed them too much or a lower quality food it will cause runny poo's.  They eat less than normal dogs, so don't follow the food instructions.  Also, I would go with a high quality grain-free food, such as Taste of the Wild.

Going to a new home can be stressful, so it could be stress as well.  You can give him a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin, which will help firm things up.

Hope that helps! 

I'm feeding him the Natural Balance grain free Alpha puppy dry food which was recommended by Petco sales person.  I always keep his bowl full, so he eats whenever he feels like (maybe that's the problem?!)

I am not familiar with the food, but if you go to http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ to find out the reviews and quality of the food.

I wouldn't recommend free feeding.  I would probably feed a pup at least 3 times a day until they are 7-9 months old, and go down to twice a day, and start out around 2 cups per day total, and just divide it evenly as possible.  It sounds like he is eating too much, which would explain the loose stools :)

I'm feeding him the Natural Balance grain free Alpha puppy dry food which was recommended by Petco sales person.  I always keep his bowl full, so he eats whenever he feels like (maybe that's the problem?!)

Welcome to the forum! :hello:

If you've recently changed him from the food the breeder was giving him to a new one, then I'm betting that this is likely to be part of the problem. Also as mentioned, too much food gives them runny poop. Better to feed 4 small meals, then let him free feed as young pups don't have much restraint and can gorge themselves if allowed to do so. bit like i do with chocolate, lol. :)

Very cute little one you have there!  One roly-poly ball of fur!!  A look at Dog Food Advisor says that's a good food you're feeding him but letting him free feed, especially at his age, is probably the problem.

Husky's, when they eat too much are real apt to have loose stools ... you're letting him free feed, he has loose stools, I know where money's going to be bet.

I don't do puppies, I have two adults here, but what I've seen says that you should be feeding him the same amount as you would an adult - but doing it with more feeding during the day.  At his age, probably four if you're around where / when you can.  My female, Sasha is on a diet trying to loose a few pounds, so she's getting fed 2 cups of food a day - much lower quality than you're feeding, btw - so I'd be real inclined to cut him back to - - - oh, let's say 1/2 cup per feeding 4 times a day.  If he's still loose then I'd cut it back to, let's say about 1/3 a cup 4 times a day.

And welcome to the forum, a great place fore Husky Owners to commiserate about the miserable dogs that we have in our lives - and even share it at times (( yes, I'm being REAL facetious, but as he grows up you'll wonder! ))

Hi Cash's Buddy,

My "pup" is turning 2yrs old this Sunday :D . Oh My... was runny poop an issue.  Should it be accepted...no...keep working at it.

...you'll get there.

One thing I did learn that might be of some comfort to you and it still holds true for Alpha:  Activity has something to do with it.

I take him out 1.5-2.5 hours everyday on a bike in the morning.

He hasn't eaten for at least 8 hours. He will usually poop 2-3 times during this time. The first poop will always be perfect.

The next one will be ok and the last  one will be runny or VERY soft.   This never fails. 

On those rare occasions I can't take him out...poop is always fine.

This happened to Khaleesi as well when I changed the food. Also, it could be stress that the puppy is under because of the change of environment.

Also, you should probably not free-feed him, but instead feed him 3 times a day (divide evenly his daily intake).

Welcome to the pack . Not much else I can say to what's already been said, free feeding a puppy isn't the best to do, as eating too much will give him the runs n keeping his bowl constantly full will just make him fat , huskies don't actually need as much food as you'd think, also if he's on a different food then what his breeder had him on that can also bring the runs on , he's so cute btw :-)

i got my pup almost 12 weeks ago and i had that issue as well i have found that my pup will not eat the high grain foods. but that is cause of the breeder. 

while i figured out how to reach out to people anyone know any breeders from evanston wyoming i am trying to find people who had issues with a person up there. they will not give me my paper work on my pup 

thanks i live in magna utah i don't know how to check messages or any of that but you can call me ************* i would greatly appreciate it 

EDIT: from Val (Zebedee) - please PM John in response to his query - John, if you click on your name top right of the page, you will be able to access your messages, or you will see a red note over the envelope at the top right of the page next to your name