Huskies And Water..

GohanTheHusky

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can explain part of this.  Dogs don't like the sound of water running though / coming out of a hose.  I've been told that it might be an instinctive dislike for something that can sound like the hissing of a snake.

But, some dogs just don't like standing water.  My old lab wouldn't go into a child's pool but would go into either a lake (or bigger) or a full sized pool.  Dogs are sometimes weird!

Yukon will tolerate a bath but doesn't like them.  Nikko HATES baths, and I don't know about Kodiak.  BUT they do like the lake, and they liked swimming in the pool and attacking the water coming out of the hose!

I can explain part of this.  Dogs don't like the sound of water running though / coming out of a hose.  I've been told that it might be an instinctive dislike for something that can sound like the hissing of a snake.

But, some dogs just don't like standing water.  My old lab wouldn't go into a child's pool but would go into either a lake (or bigger) or a full sized pool.  Dogs are sometimes weird!

Hhaha makes sense! I take him out to the ocean and beach and he loves it! Well said, never thought about that hose part!  :rofl:

Mine hates the water.

He hates being rained on (and snowed on), he hates walking through water, will not wade into water (example: on a beach) and he definitely hates the hose.

I heard dogs may hate/fear water because, as puppies, they were punished with a spray bottle??

Diamond tolerates the rain, which is weird because the sound of raindrops hitting the ground is (supposed to be) painful to dogs. He won't come out to pee on the garden if it rains, but will happily trot along if I grab the leash. He's definitely NOT okay when I try to bathe him myself but tolerates everything if I take him to the grooming center  :mellow:

what's the weirdest creature on Earth? 

#1 Humans

#2 Dogs :shrug: 

Interesting... Ronin leaps into his clam shell pool and digs in it continually LOL. He likes the hose and will run around it and bite the water, so I suppose it is really an individual thing. Oh, and it probably helps that it is bloody hot here in summer. Our breeder says Ronin was the most hesitant to try the splash pool at first. She also said that when she gave the puppies their first and only bath her husband would feed treats of chicken to them during the ordeal to make it more acceptable.

My boy hates water n will even walk round puddles but my girl absolutely love's it except baths lol

Mine are exactly the same. If it's raining and Jasper needs to wee, he will only put his front paws onto the grass and lean forward from the concrete :)

Mine are exactly the same. If it's raining and Jasper needs to wee, he will only put his front paws onto the grass and lean forward from the concrete :)

lucky lol - if its in the garden they'll run out do what they need to n come back in , but they still expect their walks which means i get soaked :( lol

Husky, M, 8, rescue - loves water and will swim whatever the weather/temp. But HATES getting his ears wet (which I think is why so many dislike hoses)

GSD, F, 6 - loves water and will do anything to swim. Doesn't care if ears get wet

Husky, F, 5 - hates water and avoids walking on wet grass. Will paddle. Won't go out if it's raining!

Husky, F, 18mths, adopted - not fussed. Has swum but prefers to paddle/splash

Husky, F, 12mths, foster now in forever home - happy to paddle but didn't really swim much

Husky, M, 12mths, current foster - obviously never been in water. OK to paddle but you can see he's working up the courage to go in

I haven't bathed either of mine yet, and they don't stink :) they both appear to love water though.

Harry will wade in the river near us, last time it wasn't very full, so don't know if he'd go swimming if it was. Snowy runs through ditches full of water, I don't think he'd ever been in water before, at Christmas when the ditches were full he got so excited, now when we walk  near them he wants to go in but they have all but dried up. Neither are bothered by the rain, in fact I sure they think it's more fun when it's tipping down :)

How often do you bath your dogs? Whilst mine get really muddy from walks, a while later they look super clean. Harry never seems to smell, only his feet, for some reason they smell of cheese :( Snowy has a bit more of a doggie smell but I think that's because he's a mixed breed.

Ares loves digging into his mini pool and biting/chasing water from sprinklers, he also loves chasing rain drops and doesn't mind being rained/snowed on but he absolutely hates bath time. At first he'd try to escape, then he'd growl and snap at me and then he'd just cry until I let him out.

Chula loves all water except the water in the bathtub/shower. She does not care one whit about the rain, she will sit or walk outside while it is pouring. She loves the ocean, lakes, rivers, paddling pools, etc. She even likes the hose outdoors and if I have the sprayer on it she will jump up and play with it. But if I try to give her a bath in the bathroom you would think I was trying to murder her. Even if the water isn't running. I can easily bathe her outside with the hose when it's warm out but winter bathing is just not happening.

Nikko hates the water, and baths. If he's walking and he sees a wet spot he's bound to go around it unless he has no other way but to go straight. Laika is the opposite. She can tolerate baths, even though you can tell she doesn't like them because she just stands still, more like asking herself what did she do to deserve this. But she'd go crazy in the beach!