Huskies And Water..

GohanTheHusky

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told one time, but don't know if it is true, that some Huskies have a genetic trigger to avoid open water, which I assume comes from open water on ice. It sounds plausible, just not sure if it's valid. Maybe something for the Myth Busters to check out.

Loves the hose pipe. will drink water straight from the tap. Hates baths, Loves rain, hates getting her paws wet  .... bought her a clamshell paddling pool thing last year...filled it up for her. she dipped a toe in ..and that was it  :rofl:  

Champ loves water.  I got one of those plastic kiddie pool things and he loves jumping in and splashing around, he doesn't like the hose though and since someone mentioned that it sounds like a snake I can understand why he wouldn't like it now.  Otherwise he loves the rain and the snow, he's splashed around in the lake at the park we walk to and the lagoon that's nearby so I think if I actually took him to a beach he would go crazy with the water.

Micha loves to swim because it cools her down so she can run some more, she hates the rain and really hates the bath

Suki does not seem to care either way for any type of water

Amber enjoys swimming, ignores the rain, but if you try to bathe her she goes catatonic 

There is certainly a wide range of water "acceptance".

Nikko seems to love a lot of water related activity, including the kiddie pool and the beach. During the summer, he would be in the pool and then roll in the dirt...basically creating a fur mud ball. On those days, he would get my old school grooming - a hose and me (with treats at the ready).

post-11296-0-55070400-1389996665_thumb.j

There is certainly a wide range of water "acceptance".

Nikko seems to love a lot of water related activity, including the kiddie pool and the beach. During the summer, he would be in the pool and then roll in the dirt...basically creating a fur mud ball. On those days, he would get my old school grooming - a hose and me (with treats at the ready).

Hhaha wow! Beautiful dog btw (:

Interesting.  Some of you call it "digging" in the pool or whatever body of water your doggie splashes in.  I thought it looked more like fishing behavior, picturing a wolf or husky trying to catch trout or salmon from a stream with their front paws.  Maybe I just have a vivid imagination   ;)  . 

After a good game of catch in the back yard Karly will run over to the big tub of water and cool her front paws that way, "wash" the ball (I really think she objects to putting a dirty ball in her mouth), put her nose in the water and shake her nose side to side spraying water everywhere, and splash her undersides.  Showers or a wash with the garden hose she is not so happy with but tolerates it ok, with frequent shaking that really sprays the suds.  She will wade at a lake but not swim.  Same at the ocean.  She likes wet grass but not sprinklers.  She is not at all happy when she comes in with a crust of mud on her nose and I wash it off with a wet paper towel.

Urgghhh, I just finished giving Ronin a calendula teas rinse as he was scratching a bit and no fleas around. Gave him a good soak with a spray bottle and he loved it - then I emptied the splash pool so he wouldn't go in for a dip. So he then kept eyeing off the fish pond, and I couldn't keep him away. So I gave in and put water back in the splash pool. After a few minutes of digging he decided it would be nice to lay down in it! Its pretty warm outside 38C, 100.4F so I suppose it is fair enough   :lol:

• 9 months later...

My 10 month old Sasha, refuses a bath with the hose or in the tub. She screams and rams me to knock me down, sounds like killing is going on at my house on bath day. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen with any dog I've had. I just posted a new topic regarding this. I'm hoping for some ideas that might work :) good luck!post-11633-0-77841500-1413801294_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Lol glad I'm not alone in this. Since joining this forum, there's been a right feeling that I'm no longer the only human on the planet asking wth am i doing wrong lmbo!

Lakota loves standing water, the river, lakes, pools, and creeks, but oh my, pull out the hose or turn on the shower and i get more of a bath than he does! I pull out the bathing suit because clothes are just utter nonsense at bath time lol