Could Be Getting A Second Husky

Alicia Doyle

ok so after a year of getting penny we have been considering getting a second husky, this time we wanted a male, penny is neutered, we have found a 14 month old male who's owner is moving to Australia, he is giving him away in cork 3 hours away, I have spoke to the owner today he has been on walks with his nephew plays with him but know the boundries, he has been on walks with other dogs, he normally sits in the backseat with a harness on and tied to the door handle, I asked coz cork is a 3 hour drive for us and I have a punto, but we have arrange sunday to go up and see him so alan will be coming with the van he has to make something to separate them from the tools and probably separate them from each other til we get home, alan does welding so all should be fine, we are bringing penny with us to see how they get on meeting on neutral ground as advised, any other advice for us? this is if all goes well I have to ring again sunday because he was working when I rang, but I have pretty much asked everything I could think of except I forgotten to ask about vaccinations, his not fixed, so we should be going sunday to collect him if all goes well, heres some pics, advice appreciated regarding introducing him to penny and josh and everything else haha I feel like im starting all over again ha exited and nervous wish me luck!

here's some pics of the beauty ........ some are of him as a pup and some now, his name is kyzer.....

1012996_514673115253020_961623500_n.jpg

1001831_514672948586370_1212265754_n.jpg

1010929_514672421919756_509937849_n.jpg

1001052_514671875253144_1951110334_n.jpg

935916_514671641919834_1168999719_n.jpg

1013661_514671398586525_631870284_n.jpg9351_514670591919939_1494548330_n.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good looking lad......

as far as introducing them to each other I would advise to do this on neutral grounds...fine for you as it is a long ways from home lol but also for keyzer....make it neutral to allof them...

thanks I will ask the owner to meet us somewhere he hasn't been before is that correct?

aww look at those ears :wub: I hope the meeting goes well :D

thankyou his a beauty isn't he?!

aww hes a beauty , apart from finding out about vaccs i think you'll be fine , do u know if hes a puller? how much hes been trained - toilet training , manners , obedience etc?

he said on the walks he doesn't trip up the nephew, I forgotten to ask about training, im sure he said he was in the house though I'll start writing down questions, thanks

Good looking lad......

as far as introducing them to each other I would advise to do this on neutral grounds...fine for you as it is a long ways from home lol but also for keyzer....make it neutral to allof them...

thanks I will ask the owner to meet us somewhere he hasn't been before is that correct?

doesn't have to be a place he has never been before although that is best... basically "neutral grounds" is anywhere but your home and potential dog's home :) or better yet just walk them side-by-side together. 

thanks everyone, i just want everything to go smoothly with introductions to penny and josh, he's supposed to be good with other dogs and with kids so all should be fine, well i asked the all Ireland husky club that had him posted up for rehoming was he a Siberian and she said he was, then i spoke to the onwner and they said his full breed and ikc registered, that he could get the papers for us for sunday, that the breeder is abroad but should be able to get trhem by sunday, which somebody questioned why he wouldn't have the papers? unless he lost them  maybe?

ok so here's an update his up to date in his vaccinations, he said his still trying to get kyzer's papers from the breeder, but tbh we'll take him anyway, his up to date in his vaccinations, they're due in march but not a big deal, here's the bad news his an outdoor dog and hasn't been toilette trained, we still want him though, just don't know how to work it, penny is outside when we're out but we bring her in most of the time and especially at night, is it a bit mean to bring on in and leave one out, is it too late to toilette train him? some advice please?

that doesn't sound too bad except for the puppy messes being bigger messes lol, its not like penny doesn't sometimes have the odd accident, do you suggest using those training pads by the door?

what, pee pads?  :o some despises that tool some others find it useful. But personally I think it's easier to teach the dog to pee in the garden from the very beginning. 

Well with penny we would bring her outside during the day and use pee pads at night, would you get up every few hours to bring them out at night when they're a pup? I know his not a pup but I'm guessing it's going to be the same

when they're a little pup, yes I'd expect owners to wake up several times in the middle of the night. But Kyzer is a full-grown. I'd expect him to sleep through the night. I woke up 3 times in Diamond's first night at home but he was fast asleep in all three "visits". Unfortunately when the sun rose, he woke up and immediately had diarrhea all over the place :facepalm: I didn't count it as an accident though. He did eat a lot of weird stuffs in his previous home so he can't help it... 

I think you are doing everything right & you will have no need to worry at all. Meet somewhere for a walk, whether it is a regular place for Kyzer, it doesn't matter as long as it's not either home, they could get territorial. As for him being an outside dog currently, he is still a baby at 14 months and you already have a dog at home that knows the routine of where to go to potty. When Kyzer gets home with you, let him out in the garden or wherever Penny toilets & he will soon work out where is allowed & where isn't. Be prepared for the odd mishap in the initial stages of rehoming as he gets used to your routine but I'm sure all will go well if he is as good as he's been posted.

Good luck today, let us know how everything goes & lots of welcome home pics too please :D