New Puppy New To Forum

Geonice

I just got "Ming" my puppy about a month ago shes been great, I was worried she might be traumatized from being bitten in the face by another dog which caused an infection but she healed up just fine and is just as brave. My girlfriend has a 4 year old German Shephard "Emma" that isn't very social but we are trying to get her used to Ming since they will be seeing eachother very often. Ming want to play but Emma is scaring her and is a little to aggresive at times, I am worried that she might hurt ming since she is so small. Should I just let it happen and hope constant interaction will make them used to eachother?

post-11310-0-14745000-1389736156_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum!  Ming is such a cutie!!! 

What I would suggest is allow them to interact, but keep them on leashes, even indoors.  If it gets too rough, separate them.  Never allow them to play together unsupervised for awhile.  Also, I would take all toys and treats away when they are together.  That was the number 1 cause of fights with mine.

She she was already bit once she may be a little more timid, but in time I am sure they will become best friends! 

:wave: welcome to the forum. :)

Another vote for gradual introductions. If your gsd has had enough and is getting fed up, then that's the cue to give her some space. . Try not to overwhelm her too much, as if she's not very sociable she'll likely find an excitable puppy quite hard to deal with initially. Good luck. :)

Hi Ha!

I'm assuming that the dog that bit Ming was not Emma; can you tell whether Emma is just trying to correct Ming or is she actually being aggressive in response to an overactive pup?

If she's just issuing a correction then that's a good thing - she's teaching Ming how to behave "doggy style", it may sound rough to you but if there's no blood and Emma is basically saying "Back off and leave me alone!" then Ming needs to learn to respect that (which she will if you allow the correction).

If it's actual aggression - "You're in my space and I don't want you here!" - then you've got more of a problem and gradually working them together may take care of it.

I do agree with Jason's comment - keeping a leash on them until they're sociable allows you to separate them easily and quickly.  Add to that having them meet at some neutral place a time or two or three may help Emma since it's not her place that's being invaded.

My gf and I have been taking them out for walks and letting them meet eachother at the parks. They have met for a total of 3 times it gets a little better each time but each time Ming gets more brave and decides to jump on Emma and thats when Emma starts to slap her around.

• 4 weeks later...