Are Too Many Baths A Bad Thing?

bamills1

I've read that huskies don't NEED baths, and that too many baths can dry out the oil in their skin. Otto got into the mud and smells pretty bad and I want to bathe him just so my house doesn't smell bad but is it actually UNHEALTHY for them to have a bath every week or 2 weeks? Thoughts, facts, experience is needed here.

I wouldn't know but can't imagine it's a very good idea for any dog. Can you not just give him a wash? You know fill a bowl with warm water and wash his feet and legs if they are that muddy.

I'm sure the more experienced owner here will have some good advice :)

Over bathing a husky isnt good for them for the reason you stated. Drying out their natural oils can make their skin become quite irritated. It's also not necessary to bathe them every couple of weeks. If they get muddy, the mud dries and falls back off. I give mine an occasional spritz of doggy deodoriser, they don't particularly like it, but it turns them into walking air freshness, so they fragrance my house for me, lol.

Like others have said, bathing too much is no good for the coat.

And I agree with Sarah, no matter how muddy they get, they're always clean the next day! The muck just slides off the coat :)

I always have people asking me how I keep Mishka's legs so white and all I can say is ''I don't do anything, they just stay white aha''

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Adding on to what others said, bathing too often will harm the skin of your husky but that doesn't mean the the occasional bathing isn't bad. Just only do it when absolutely necessary. Twice a week is way too much. But how much exactly 'too often' is, isn't quite clear to be honest. When I looked it up everyone seemed to have a different opinion on it. I once read that for a husky twice a year is about the maximum but again, whether that's true I'm not so sure. In the last 9 years I have not had to bath any of mine. Any dirt and mud they collected often came of again in just a couple of hours.

Brett, I could echo what the others have said - but I won't.

Rather than a "real bath" what you might want to consider is just hosing him down to get the worst of it off.  If it's *really* that bad then a bath might be in order, but .... look at the notes above.

Avalanche has a dusty short coat since he just lays out in the front "yard" and if I come anywhere near him with a hose he runs;  Sasha with her medium coat went wandering at the springs the other day and got muddy up to her belly - 24 hours later, you'd never be able to tell (( and the cattle drink there so the water has a "bit of an odor" but you'd never know it now ))

Ours might have 2 baths a year if that, but they do get hosed down in the garden if they are particularly muddy, then, as has been said, the mud just seems to disappear! And what I find more amazing?? White huskies always look cleaner than grey / red / black coloured ones even after the muddiest walk or play :jawdrop:  magic :rofl:

My girl did have a bath every month but the let time she had a bath was 7 months ago as it was way top hard to bath her while I was pregnant and its been hard money wise to get her anywhere for a bath she hates the bath and the hose.

She smells like dozer at the moment which is really stinky so she needs a bath

Sent from my GT-I8530 using Tapatalk 2