Miss Luna Is Sick :(

love4Luna

Poor baby. I came home yesterday and was greeted by a horrible stench as I opened the door. At first, I thought it was the cat, but as I was looking around, I saw that Luna had had diarrhea in her crate. I let her out and cleaned out her crate. I let her back in a couple hours later only for her to do it again. We woke up this morning to see that again she did it and it was all over her too. You can tell she doesn't feel good. Her tail is tucked so far between her legs, her head is lowered, and you can just see it in her eyes. She didn't even want outside. She just sat by door.

The whole house just smells so foul. Only thing I can think of that's causing this is a snake she ate a couple of days ago. I never saw it, but my husband said he saw her catch a little garden snake and she played with it awhile and ate it. I'm starting her on some boiled chicken & rice today to see if that helps. (Hopefully she will eat it, she turned away from her food this morning, which is really unlike her.) If she doesn't seem to get better in the next day or so, its off to the vet we go. I hate seeing her not feeling well. :(

Oh no!  Hope she gets better soon!  It might help taking her off food completely for 24 hours, maybe some pumpkin.  I also use pepto and immodium when they get the runs. 

I feel for you, that could not have been pleasant coming home too :(  Mine had the runs last week and I was so worried that I could come home to poopy crates :(

Oh no! Hope she gets better soon! It might help taking her off food completely for 24 hours, maybe some pumpkin. I also use pepto and immodium when they get the runs.

I feel for you, that could not have been pleasant coming home too :( Mine had the runs last week and I was so worried that I could come home to poopy crates :(

Yeah, I was thinking about getting her some pumpkin too. My husband had the weirdest look when I told him that this morning. "Why on earth pumpkin?". Lol.

The area around her crate is ripe!! Poor thing had explosive poo that even shot out of the crate and on the carpet around it. Thank goodness I have my own carpet shampooer!!

Also, I do have pepto. How much can she have? She's about 50-60 lbs.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting her some pumpkin too. My husband had the weirdest look when I told him that this morning. "Why on earth pumpkin?". Lol.

The area around her crate is ripe!! Poor thing had explosive poo that even shot out of the crate and on the carpet around it. Thank goodness I have my own carpet shampooer!!

Also, I do have pepto. How much can she have? She's about 50-60 lbs.

Remember that's just plain pumpkin - not pie filling with all the spices and stuff in it.  If it's the pepto chewables, I've used one (at a time) for mine - spaced out about 4 - 6 hours apart.

That garden snake shouldn't have been a problem unless it had gotten hold of something it shouldn't have - thinking in terms of a mouse. 

Amber, not wanting to scare you, but if the snake had gotten hold of a poisoned mouse ( they tend to be lethargic and are out looking for water ) then you may have a real problem - if it doesn't look like it's clearing up by the late afternoon, I'd be thinking about a vet visit.

How she doing on water, normal amounts (well, slightly above normal because of the diarrhea is to be expected) one of the symptoms of commercial rat / mouse poison is that it makes anything ingesting it really thirsty!

Remember that's just plain pumpkin - not pie filling with all the spices and stuff in it.  If it's the pepto chewables, I've used one (at a time) for mine - spaced out about 4 - 6 hours apart.

That garden snake shouldn't have been a problem unless it had gotten hold of something it shouldn't have - thinking in terms of a mouse. 

Amber, not wanting to scare you, but if the snake had gotten hold of a poisoned mouse ( they tend to be lethargic and are out looking for water ) then you may have a real problem - if it doesn't look like it's clearing up by the late afternoon, I'd be thinking about a vet visit.

How she doing on water, normal amounts (well, slightly above normal because of the diarrhea is to be expected) one of the symptoms of commercial rat / mouse poison is that it makes anything ingesting it really thirsty!

Her water intake is OK. She is drinking from time to time, but not acting like she is overly thirsty. She seems to have pepped up a bit after she ate her chicken & rice. Oh and I did give some pepto, it seems to have helped. She didn't have any accidents while I was out, so that's a plus!

I have had experience with rat poisoning before, unfortunately. My rat terrier ate an entire box of the quick kill green pellets. (That was not a fun time) vet office was closed and my vet was out of town. I got step by step instructions of what to do, and had her pull through thankfully! And, :( I had long time family cat several years ago poisoned by a neighbor with antifreeze (he didn't make it.) So I know some of the signs/symptoms from both, and thankfully she isn't really acting like either of those are a culprit...

Good!!  And I'm glad she seems to be feeling better, I hate bringing up bad suggestions - but better they get brought up than looking at them in hindsight.  Since she'd eaten a snake, that was the first possibility that popped into my mind.  The snake itself should have just been a good snack.

I'd love to be able to suggest that people who give an animal anti-freeze should be given the same cocktail - I'm not a vengeful person, but that's no way to die!

Good!!  And I'm glad she seems to be feeling better, I hate bringing up bad suggestions - but better they get brought up than looking at them in hindsight.  Since she'd eaten a snake, that was the first possibility that popped into my mind.  The snake itself should have just been a good snack.

I'd love to be able to suggest that people who give an animal anti-freeze should be given the same cocktail - I'm not a vengeful person, but that's no way to die!

The way my cat, Simba died still angers me. He was 14, this happened just 4 years ago. The jerk who did it didn't have to rush simba to the vet ER. Didn't have to see him having seizures and seeing him hurt, realizing just trying to give a very gentle pet to comfort caused intense pain. He didn't have to see all the tubes and machines he was hooked up to to keep him alive. And lastly, he didn't have to make the choice of simba's comfort vs life. He didn't sit there holding simba in his arms as he fell asleep forever. Oh yeah, I'm quite vengeful. And I hope that man gets his in the end....