Meet "my Daughter" Karly

Rotorhead

Karly is my first dog.  She was given to me by a neighbor.  I had to learn a lot about dogs in general and huskys in particular in very little time, but Karly makes it all worth while.  She stole my heart.  Many will say a Husky is not a dog for a first time owner, but I would not have it any other way.  I never planned to bring her into my life, it just happened.  It is among the best things that have ever happened to me.  She is energetic, even challenging.  I wish I had her earlier in life when I was still distance running.  Now the knees don't cooperate so much so we walk a lot.  We may try some dryland mushing soon.  I had to learn how to dog proof a yard, my daughter sitting there watching me as I toiled away calculating in her head how long (in minutes) it would take this time to undo my hours of back yard toil.   Baaad dog.  She can beaver through a wooden fence like nothing!  She laughed at cayenne pepper and chicken wire. 

What finally settled her down was love.  She knows I love her and won't give her up.  Now she doesn't even try to dig out, though I still won't dare let her off a leash anywhere but inside the home or my back yard.  She's a mom.  The previous owner bred her (baaad human!).  Six pups, one still born four live births and number six stuck in the birth canal requiring an emergency visit to the vet.  VCA saved her life but not pup number six.  I only knew her then as "mom dog" but even then her beautiful eyes and face beckoned.  Now I am hers and she is mine.  I call her a desert husky because of where I live, betwixt the Sierra Nevada, Death Valley, Owens Valley and the Mojave Desert.  She is perennially dirty no matter how much I brush her. Wash her and a week later she is sporting tan markings again.  So here are a few photos of my daughter, one of which is the "Official Portrait" taken with a cell phone camera in the back seat of my fiancées car (!). 

post-11328-0-81903800-1390025411_thumb.j

post-11328-0-34731000-1390025684_thumb.j

A minor frustration was not being able to load many of the photos I was hoping to load.  Apparently the file size of many of my photos is too large.  Too bad, I had a couple of funny ones to show of her with a dirty nose and paws (did I say she likes to dig?) and relaxing at home.   I am trying the basic uploader and we will see what happens this time.

So much for that idea.

:hello:Good evening and  :welcome: to the best husky forum in the world. Congratulations on the adoption of your daughter, she is beautiful and obviously now loved. As you've already witnessed, she will test you and try your patience , but if she didn't she wouldn't be a husky and it's why we love them so much. Good luck and enjoy every minute.

Gary.

Welcome to husky owners, what a great intro! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about being a first time owner. It's less about experience and more about attitude IMO. if someones willing to be flexible and persevere through the challenges, then they'll succeed over someone who's not so adaptable.

She's a beautiful girl, great to hear she's settled down into her loving forever home. :D

• 4 weeks later...