How Should I Help Otto?

bamills1

He got a parvo test today which came back negative, but is still having diarrhea. His gums are pretty dry making me think he is dehydrated. He is taking medicine to prevent vomiting and to help the diarrhea. Should I just keep giving him cold water? Any tricks out there that could be useful?

Yes as much water as you can him to drink.

As for the runny bum. . . 

Pumpkin (tinned) is very good

as is

Boiled chicken breast and plain boiled rice

also

Chicken wings, RAW bones and everything

I have some chicken breast. So just go get some plain rice, boil them and mix together for him?

yeah, make sure the chicken is fully cooked and both chicken and rice are cold

Not too much at first don't want to overload an already dodgy belly

give him a little every couple of hours and watch his poop see if it starts firming up

So, I take it then that you don't know what the cause is. Make sure there is plenty of fresh water. What and how much do you normally feed him? Did the vet take his temperature? If so, was it normal?

The reason I ask about his food and how much, is because a large cause of runny poos in Huskies is over feeding. Another top contender is food containing wheat, corn, or soy. If his temperature is normal, then we know there is not any infection going on.

What Andy suggested should help with the runs. Just make sure the canned pumpkin is just pumpkin and no spices added. A couple spoons full, three times a day for a day or two, or until you see the stools firm up.

What I have always done, and what I suggest, is to not feed for 24 hours, but still provide water and his meds. This is critical as it allows the gut to settle. Then feed two or three meals per day of boiled skinless chicken mixed with steamed brown or white rice. You can also cook ground turkey mixed with rice. Depending on his age, 1/2, 3/4, or 1 cup per meal. That along with the plain pumpkin, in a few days you should see firmer stools. If not, you should visit your vet.

Once the stools are firmed up, then you need to transition from the chicken/rice mix to his normal food. This should take seven to ten days, decreasing the chicken/rice mix and increasing his normal food, a day at a time. If the food you have been feeding is not the best, now would be a good time to move into a good quality good.

He has been to the vet twice in the past two days. His temps were normal and he has no infection of any kind

I started the switch yesterday from puppy chow to TOTW. He is getting about 2 cups a day, and the TOTW is gradually getting mixed in with the puppy chow.

He had the runs before this switch happened, so I'm not convinced it is the food, or amount.

I am going to feed him some chicken and rice around 2, or in an hour and see if that helps. He has had a lot of water this morning and is napping right now.

The puppy chow has a lot of corn. How old is Otto? He should be fed three or four times per day up til about four to six months. Give it a few days and see if there is improvement. And please keep us updated on Otto.

To keep him hydrated give him some unflavored pedialyte or some watered down gatorade,  Make sure you water the gatorade down cause it has a lot of sugar in it.  My pup Aspen was vomiting a lot after getting spayed and i was worried about her getting dehaydrated so my vet suggested this as well.